PERKINS FAMILY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES BY STATE
Perkins Research Minnesota Biographical Sketches
The name of STEVE L. PERKINS is mentioned with respect and admiration as one who has worked for the furtherance of all matters, pertaining to the betterment of community life, and his active service in this respect has been of great benefit to his fellow citizens. He was born Feb. 25th, 1875, in Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail Co., MN, and is the son of George W. and Mary E. (Hower) Perkins. George W. Perkins was the son of Christopher Perkins, both natives of Maine. The maternal grandparents of Steve L. Perkins were Levi and Margaret (Wool) Hower, both natives of Indiana, from which state they removed in 1871 and located in St. Cloud, MN, removing thence to Parkers Prairie, where his death occurred. Margaret (Wool) Hower, widow of Levi Hower, is still living and resides with her daughter, Mary E. (Hower) Perkins in Alexandria, MN. Her husband was a veteran of the Civil War, as was also George W. Perkins, who enlisted in the Fifteenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. George W. Perkins was promoted from private to corporal and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. Seeking broader fields for his energy and ambition, he became the arbiter of his destiny at the age of fifteen years, removing to St. Cloud, MN, where he worked and attended school for some time. He resided with an aunt at Kimball Prairie until coming to Otter Tail county, MN. They had no conveyance and he was compelled to transport their provisions of flour, etc., upon his back, from Melrose. In 1871 he purchased a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, in Parkers Prairie township, which he cultivated until three years before his death. He removed to the town of Parkers Prairie where he retired and where his death occurred. He served as county supervisor and school clerk for a number of years. His religious affiliations were with the Baptist church, which denomination received his earnest and active support. He was also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He was the father of two children, namely, William R. Perkins (see below sketch) and Steve L. Perkins. Steve L. Perkins received his education in the public schools of Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail county, MN, and also attended Sauk Center business college, where he graduated from the bookkeeping department, immediately entering the general mercantile business with his brother-in-law, M.W. A. Murray, in Parkers Prairie. He was later engaged with the Plano Harvester Company as salesman and collector for a period of three years, later engaging with the Hennepin Lumber Company, in Clarissa, MN. In 1902 he connected with the Dower Lumber Company, of Parkers Prairie, MN, as manager of the business. On Jan. 5th, 1900, Steve L. Perkins was united in marriage to JENNIE MURRAY, and to this union have been born three children; Clarence Perkins, Louise Perkins and Russell Perkins. In connection with his other interests, Steve L. Perkins is the owner of a two-hundred acre farm adjoining Parkers Prairie, on which he specializes in the breeding of Holstein cattle and Poland China hogs. He has served at various times, as a member of the village council and holds fraternal affiliations with the Independent Order of United Workmen. His religious affiliations are with the Baptist church, of which denomination he is a supporter. That he is progressive along business and civil lines, is plainly to be seen and the sincere regard in which he is held by his fellow citizens is but a fitting tribute to his unselfish interests in their behalf.
Source: History of Otter Tail County, Minnesota : its people, industries, and institutions : with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of many of the old families (1916) By: John W. Mason
WILLIAM R. PERKINS. Prominent among the men of Parkers Prairie township, Otter Tail county, MN, who have achieved success in their chosen vocation, is William R. Perkins, farmer and merchant. He is a native of St. Cloud, MN, and his birth occurred on Dec. 16, 1869. His parents located in Parkers Prairie township, Otter Tail county, MN, in 1869, and it was in the schools of this place that William R. Perkins received his education. He was reared on his father's farm and assisted with the work on the home place until twenty years of age, at which time he began active operations for himself in the agricultural line. He continued to cultivate the soil in Parkers Prairie township until 1903. He owns the old home place, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, part of which is rented, but he has retained two hundred and forty acres of the three hundred and forty-seven which constituted his holdings, and this is devoted to the breeding and raising of cattle. In 1907 he began the buying of stock and continued in this business until 1915, during which time he purchased stock throughout the country. In Jan., 1915, William R. Perkins invested in the "City" meat market and has since conducted this business in a very thorough manner, making many friends who speak highly of him. For the past six years he has also been identified with the real-estate operations of the community and shows much ability in this line. In Feb., 1896, William R. Perkins was united in marriage to MILLIE PARKS, now deceased, and to them were born two children: Ruth Perkins, born Oct. 6th, 1897, and Dortha G. Perkins, born on Dec. 24th, 1901. Millie Parks was born in 1876, the daughter of George Parks. William R. Perkins is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Source: History of Otter Tail County, Minnesota : its people, industries, and institutions : with biographical sketches of representative citizens and genealogical records of many of the old families (1916) By: John W. Mason.
JOHN WALDO PERKINS, lawyer, born at Nettle Creek, Grundy Co., ILL, Aug. 27th, 1850; son of Joseph and Roxanna Perkins; came to Minnesota in boyhood and was educated in common schools of Wright Co., graduating from University of Minnesota, degree of B.A., 1877. Began practice of law, 1881; director and attorney of The Monthly Installment Loan Co., organized Jan. 1st, 1890. Has given special attention to the subject of chattel loans, for the purpose of ameliorating the condition of those who are forced by their necessities to ask for and to borrow small sums on household goods and other personal property. Tariff reform Republican. Congregationalist. Member ALpha Nu Chi Psi fraternity. Married at Minneapolis, July 8th, 1903, to Miss MARY L. MORRIS. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Office: Guaranty Loan Bldg. Residence: 1322 5th St., S. E., Minneapolis.
Source: The book of Minnesotans; a biographical dictionary of Leading Living men of the state of Minnesota. 1907. By: Albert N. Marquis. p. 399.
KARL WOODWARD PERKINS, Northwestern representative Otis Elevator Company, born at Springfield, MA, Nov. 2nd, 1876; son of Albert Perkins; educated at Mass. Institute of Technology, Boston (course in mechanical engineering). Entered service of the Otis Elevator Co., upon leaving school, 1898, consigning in New York and St. Louis; came to Minneapolis, in 1901, as Northwestern representative of the company, the largest builders of passenger and freight elevators in the world. Republican. Married at Minneapolis, 1902, to Miss RACHEL WOODWARD. Club: Commercial, Office: Security Bank Bldg. Minneapolis. Residence: Lake Minnetonka, Minn.
Source: The book of Minnesotans; a biographical dictionary of Leading Living men of the state of Minnesota. 1907. By: Albert N. Marquis.
W. L. PERKINS, a native of New York, was born in 1829. Was raised in New York City, and in 1849 went to California, where he lived twenty one years. in 1872 he came to St. Paul, MN and purchased one-half interest in the wholesale liquor business of George Peabody, which was established in 1859, and has since been a member. The firm is now known as *Perkins, Lyons and company. Mr. Perkins was married in San Francisco, California, in 1862, and has three children, Mabel V. Perkins, William L. Perkins and Lena A. Perkins.
*Perkins, Lyons and Company. This house was established in 1859, in a small two-story stone building on Third street, 20 by 40 feet, by George P. Peabody (brother-in-law of one of the present firm, W.L. Perkins) with the small capital of from three to four thousand dollars (and with the other member of the present firm, Maurice Lyons, who was connected with the house from the commencement), continued some time, when more room was required, and forty feet more was added to the building. In this building business was continued until 1872, when Mr. George Peabody sold out his entire interest to the firm of Peabody, Lyons and Company. The names of this firm were Charles Peabody, Maurice Lyons, and William L. Perkins. Under this management business continued until 1879, when Messrs. Perkins and Lyons (the present firm), bought out Charles Peabody's interest, and needing more room for their fast increasing business, moved to their present commodious building, 25 by 150, on Robert street, four stories, where they kept a full stock of all the best brands of imported and domestic wines, liquors and cigars. Mr. Perkins resided twenty-two years in California, and the present firm have the very best facilities for procuring, and kept in stock, the very best productions of that country in the way of wines and brandies. This, in connection with the very large stock of imported wines, brandies, fine rum, &c., they carry, together with a full line of all the favorites brands of bourbon and rye whiskies of Kentucky, such as the Hermitage, O. L. C., Nelson, Anderson, McBrayer, Carlisle and make of these favorite brands, as complete and full stock as can be found in any city in the West. Messrs. Perkins, Lyons and Company carry from fifteen hundred to three thousand barrels in bond, of different ages, all for the purpose of keeping their stock in St. Paul always up to the standard. The firm of Perkins, Lyons and company keep all the time three salesmen on the road, and port of the time four, who visit pretty much every town in northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and Dakota territory, monthly; their sales amounting to from $250,000 to $300,000 yearly, requiring a capital of about $100,000, now, to do the business, thus showing quite an increase in this particular line of business during the last twenty years in St. Paul.
Source: History of Ramsey County and the city of St. Paul, ..by: George E. Warner - 1826?-1917
WILLIAM L. PERKINS, Jr., wholesale liquor merchant, born at San Francisco, Calif., May 29th, 1868; son of William L. and Sarah R. (Peabody) Perkins;*[See above sketch] educated in public schools of St. Paul, Minn, Shattuck School, Faribault, Minn, and Griswold College, Davenport, Iowa, until 1887, married at St. Paul, 1893, to LEOCADLA RYAN. On leaving school, entered the house of W. L. Perkins & Co., wholesale liquor dealers, St. Paul (established 1859); kept the books, 1887-89, represented the house on the road, 1889-95; since 1895, vice president and general manager of W. L. Perkins & Co., Incorporated. Republican. Mason, Knight Templar; member B. P. O. E. Club, Commercial Office: 307 to 311 Robert St. Residence: 857 Lincoln Ave, St. Paul.
Source: The book of Minnesotans; a biographical dictionary of Leading Living men of the state of Minnesota. 1907. By: Albert N. Marquis
PERKINS, president Perkins-Thomas Printing Co.; born at Bangor,
ME, Nov. 24th, 1873, son of Benjamin Franklin and Mary C. (Vaillancourt)
Perkins; educated in private boarding school at Three Rivers, P.
Q., Canada, and afterward in Jesuit College, Montreal, 1890-1894; married
at St. Paul, MN, Aug. 8th, 1905, to MABEL ALICE
NORRIS, of Corning, IA. Learned printing trade in fathers
office at Minneapolis; father died in 1896, and place was sold. Became
editor, Dakota County Tribune, 1897; established, 1900, the Perkins-Thomas
Printing Co., printers and publishers at St. Paul, of which was secretary,
1900-1904, and since 1904, has been its president. Also president of the
Transportation Publicity Co., and editor of the St. Paul Pythian. Member
B. P. O. E. Knights of Pythaias, Odd Fellows, Mystic Circle, Eagles and
United Commercial Travelers Club, Commercial. Recreation: Hunting. Office:
49 East 4th St. Residence: 556 Selby Ave. St. Paul.
S. A. (SAMUEL ASHMAN) PERKINS, was born in Massachusetts in 1831. At the age of eighteen years, he apprenticed to the carpenters trade, and served three years. Engaged chiefly in the pursuit of his trade until 1868, then came to Dakota County, Minnesota, and pursued agriculture three yeas. Moving at that time to Lakeville, he has since made the township his home. Married in 1852, to Miss LUCINA DOLE, who has borne him four children.
Source: History of Dakota County and the city of Hastings : including the explorers and pioneers of Minnesota, by Rev Edward D. Neill, and outlines of the history of Minnesota, by J. Fletcher Williams. Neill, Edward D. (Edward Duffield), 1823-1893.
**Samuel Ashman Perkins was a son of Alfred & Jane (Ward) Perkins who moved from Buckland, Franklin Co., MA to Dakota Co., MN.**. He was a brother of Calvin N. Perkins (Listed in a below sketch).
IRENUS PERKINS was born in New Hampshire in 1817. On attaining majority, he purchased a farm, which he carried on until 1847, then embarked in the mercantile trade, continuing six years. Disposing of his interests, he came to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and in company with three associates, erected a saw-mill, run it two years, then came to Lakeville. He engaged in farming until 1877, and in 1874, built an elevator at Lakeville. Is county commissioner of the Fifth district. Mr. Perkins has been twice married, to his present wife in 1847. He has six children - two by his first wife and four by his present one.
Source: History of Dakota County and the city of Hastings : including the explorers and pioneers of Minnesota, by Rev Edward D. Neill, and outlines of the history of Minnesota, by J. Fletcher Williams. Neill, Edward D. (Edward Duffield), 1823-1893.
GEORGE F. PERKINS, was born at Westminster, Massachusetts, June 9th, 1852. He moved with his parents to near Monticello, Minnesota, in 1855, and worked on a farm until sixteen years of age. In the fall of 1869 he returned east to attend school, but instead, chose to learn the machinist's trade and served his apprenticeship at Fitchburg, Massachusetts, with the Fitchburg Machine Company, and returned to Minneapolis in 1876. He entered the shops of Walker Brothers and during the same year opened a shop of his own on a cash capital of but seventeen dollars. Owing to economy, energy and perseverance he is now at the head of his large establishment.
Source: History of Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis [Minnesota]". By George E. Warner, in 1881;
E. R. PERKINS, M.D., born in Orleans county, New York, 1843. Received his medical education at the Hahnemann Homeopathic Medical College of Philadelphia. First commenced the practice of medicine at Excelsior, May, 1878. Came to the state in 1854. Married in 1864 JULIA A. CHASE. Enlisted in 1861 in Company D, Second Regiment Infantry. Discharged honorably at Nashville, Tennessee. They have four children; Louis Perkins; Willie Perkins; Grace Perkins and Edna Perkins.
Source: History of Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis [Minnesota]". By George E. Warner, in 1881;
came from Orleans county, New York, during the year *(1854
- to Minneapolis, Hennepin Co., MN), and purchased real estate near
Murphy's ferry. He still resides in the county. Mr. Perkins invested
considerable money soon after his arrival in the milling industry, and
aided greatly in developing that industry in this neighborhood. He has two
sons, E. R. Perkins, a physician at Excelsior, MN and Frank
Perkins, who is also a physician.
WILLIAM E. PERKINS, livery man, Lake City, MN came to Lake City in September, 1858, and spent his first winter here teaching a school at Central Point, after which for a time he engaged in handling lumber for F. R. Sterrett and Bessey & Willis, after which he spent some time in farming within the present limits of Lake City. In the fall of 1866 he embarked in the livery business with A. W. Detmars, and so continued about five years. He then bought out Mr. Detmar's interest, and has since conducted the business individually, near the corner of Lyon avenue and Washington street. His business of late years requires about twenty horses, though before the construction of the railroads a larger number were needed. In addition to his livery and 'bus business, Mr. Perkins is also engaged in the purchase and sale of fine and heavy horses, most of them obtained in Illinois and Iowa. Mr. Perkins was born in Watertown, New York, September 16, 1839, and is a son of George B. and Cinthia (Woolley) Perkins.\ *Cynthia Wooley*b.ca.1810 d.11.16.1839 aged 29y, 9 months and was buried at Arsenal Street Cemetery - Watertown, Jefferson Co., NY). He was married July 23, 1858, to Miss ANNA M. WOODFORD, a native of Vermont. To them were born five children, of whom two, George W. Perkins and Sidney W. Perkins, are living, and now in business. The former is agent for the American Express company of this city, and the latter employed in his uncle George W. Perkins store at Furgus Falls, Minnesota. Three lovely and affectionate daughters once graced the home of Mr. and Mrs. Perkins. Of these, Litha E. Perkins (who was their second child) died soon after entering on her third year. L. Nellie Perkins and Florence G. Perkins were longer spared to their fond parents. The former died of diphtheria February 19, 1879, in the twelfth year of her age, and the latter died of the same disease January 1, following, in her tenth year. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are prominently connected with the Episcopal church, and he is a staunch member of the Masonic fraternity.
Source: History of Wabasha County, MN - Compiled by Dr. L. H. Bunnell - Published Chicago by H. H. Hill, Publishers, 1884
ELISHA PERKINS,farmer, Zumbro, MN came to this county without capital in 1868, and secured sixty acres of land where he now resides, section 36-originally Mazeppa township. Besides this he now has forty acres in the adjoining town of Farm Hill, half as much in the Mazeppa timber and a quarter-section in Bigstone county. The same energy and business ability that carried him through several struggles in the past are still leading elements in his character, and he is known as an active and useful citizen. He is an earnest exponent of the principles of the republican party, and a leading member of the Wesleyan Methodist church at South Troy. Joel Perkins, the father of Elisha Perkins, was born in Luzerne, Warren county, New York, in 1813. His parents, Elkanah and Phoebe Perkins, were natives of the same state. Joel Perkins married SARAH VAN WORMER, who gave birth to this subject at Stony Creek, Warren county, in 1835. The latter was reared on his father's farm, and received his education in the common schools. That he improved his opportunities is evident to all who meet him, and he is well-known as a contributor to the press of the day. October 10, 1857, he married ELIZA A. GALLUP, born in the same county as himself. This union was disrupted by the cruel hand of death in January, 1866, and Mr. Perkins was left with four small children to care for. Shortly after he suffered heavy losses in a lumbering contract, and resolved to try his fortunes in the west. On March 29, 1869, he espoused FRANCES J. ROBERTS, a native of Hamilton county, Ohio, who is a mother of six living children, viz: Amanda E. Perkins, Florence A. Perkins, Alma A. Perkins, Ernest H. Perkins, Maud A. Perkins, and an infant daughter. Of the elder children: Ward B. Perkins dwells at Waneta, Dakota; Ellsworth L. Perkins died when eight years old; Eliza J. Perkins and Fanny M. Perkins, twins, at home.
Source:History of Wabasha County, MN - Compiled by Dr. L. H. Bunnell - Published Chicago by H. H. Hill, Publishers, 1884
OSCAR F. PERKINS, the first settler of the legal profession in Rice County, MN, was born in Stowe, Lamoille County, Vermont, on the 11th of January, 1830. His parents were Capt. Ellet Perkins and Mrs. (Lathrop) Perkins, a daughter of Capt. Daniel Lathrop. When fifteen years old, Oscar Perkins went to Woodstock, VT, spent three years in farming, attending a district school in the winters, and then for the ensuing four years was a student at Bakersfield Academy, teaching during the winter season. In 1853, Miss HARRIET E. FAY became his wife. He commenced reading law with William C. Wilson, and was admitted to the bar in June, 1854. He came to Minnesota in the autumn of that year, spent the winter in St. Anthony, and then located in Faribault, MN, where he practiced his profession twenty-one years, and in 1876 came to Northfield, Rice Co., MN, forming the law firm of Perkins & Whipple. Mr. Perkins has held various offices since his residence in the State, was County Attorney four years, a member of the constitutional convention in 1857, prosecuting attorney for the Fifth Judicial District one term, and was in the State Senate in 1867 and 1868 being Chairman of the judiciary committee both sessions. He was elected County Attorney in 1878, and still holds the office. Their children are Fay Perkins and Mary "Mollie" Perkins.
T. H. PERKINS, was born in *Cuyahoga County, OH., Jan. 21st, 1837. Was a student at Twinsburg Institute and also at Oberlin College. In 1857 he moved to Pepin, Wisconsin, and in 1865 to Lake City, MN, where he was one of the publishers of the "Lake City Leader". In 1869 he moved to this city, and has since been engaged, in company with Gen. Jennison, in the publication of the "Goodhue County Republican". Was married in Red Wing, Goodhue Co., MN in 1866 to Miss EMILY A. PURINTON, formerly of the Old Town, ME, who died in this city, May 10th, 1874. Married again Oct., 1876, to Miss FLORENCE A. WILLIAMS, formerly of Morrisville, N.Y.
*He may be a possible son of David & Electra (Tupper) Perkins
HUBBARD S. PERKINS, proprietor of brick yard, Pine Island, MN. Born in Madison county, N.Y., in 1811. Married MARANDA EDGET in 1847. She was born in Yates Co., N.Y., in 1818. Came to this county (Goodhue) in the fall of 1856, pre-empted 160 acres of land in Cherry Grove township, and in 1857, settled with his family, there being but four families in the township at that time. Experience all the hardships of pioneer life. Had $700, purchased a yoke of oxen, and in a short time one of them died, another went the same way, and another, until he lost three yoke, when he traded for horses, which the authorities took from him in the Indian outbreak of 1857. In 1864, his wife died, leaving five children, Harmon A. Perkins; William S. Perkins; Sallie E. Perkins, Ira Perkins and Rose E. Perkins. Lost one, Hiram T. Perkins. His present wife, ELIZA HAGGARD, was born in Kentucky in 1817. Mr. Hubbard Perkins came to this place and commenced his present business in 1875, where he controls a prosperous trade; also owns the farm where he resided. Self and wife are members of the Baptist Church, at Zumbrota, MN.
*Son of Luke & Sarah (Greenman) Perkins
T. (Tallman) C. PERKINS, blacksmith, Pine Island, MN. Born in Madison county, N.Y., in 1832. Settled in Dane county, Wisconsin, in 1845 purchased a farm and worked at his trade. In 1858 he married MARY J. WILSON. She was born in Genesee county, N.Y., in 1839. Came to this county (Goodhue) in 1863, settled in Roscoe Centre, MN, where he again purchased a farm and worked at his trade, until 1870. Moved to this village, where he has since made it his home. Nettie A. Perkins; Florence A. Perkins and Claude C. Perkins, are their children.
TIMOTHY F. PERKINS, farmer, sect. 16, P.O. Red Wing, MN. Born in Farmington, Franklin county, Maine, Dec. 30th, 1804. Was married Sept. 22nd, 1829, to THERESA ELLSWORTH. She was born in same county, Aug. 14th, 1809. Mr. Perkins followed farming in his native State more than 35 years, clearing a farm of 100 acres from the heavy timber land of that county. Served as town treasurer six years, collector one year, and constable a number of years. Came to this county (Goodhue) in 1861. Owns 80 acres. Have five children; Jonathan R. Perkins, Charles E. Perkins, Timothy E. Perkins, Hartson E. Perkins and Abbie S. Perkins, now Mrs. Merritt Tripp. Lost two, died in infancy. Mr. Perkins has been town treasurer here tow years. Family belong to the M. E. Church.
TIMOTHY E. PERKINS, living on section 16, Featherstone township, MN, has gained a national reputation as an apple grower, his seedling applies having taken first prize at the annual meeting of the American Pomelogical Society, held at Boston, Mass, as well as the gold medal at the St. Louis Exposition in 1904. He was born in Franklin county, Maine, December 7th, 1833, his parents being Timothy F. and Thirza (Ellsworth) Perkins, *[See above sketch] both natives of Maine. They came to Minnesota in 1862, and purchased land in Featherstone township, MN, where the father engaged in general farming until within a short time of his death, when he returned to Maine and ended his days at the age of eighty-two years, having been a farmer all his life. The mother took up her residence with her son, Timothy F. Perkins, and died at the age of seventy-two years. Timothy E. Perkins attended the schools of his neighborhood, and there grew to manhood, remaining in his native town until about thirty years of age. April 13th, 1864, he came to Featherstone township, MN, and for three years farmed in partnership with his father, afterward purchasing his present farm of 266 acres. On this place he has put many improvements, including a good house, well-kept barns and other buildings, and here he carries on general farming, stock raising and pomelogical pursuits. He is a Republican in politics and has served as treasurer of his township one term. He affiliates with the Methodist church and at one time was a member of the Odd Fellows. Mr. Perkins was married March 26th, 1861, to RHODA A. BOSTON, also a native of Franklin county, Maine. From this union eight children have resulted, six being now alive. Charles E. Perkins is an orange grower in Porterville, California; Fred O. Perkins is assistant general agent of the International Harvest Company at Sioux Falls, South Dakota; William J. Perkins, like his brother Charles E., is an orange grower in Porterville, California; George A. Perkins is a Physician and surgeon at Dickens, North Dakota; Timothy L. Perkins works the home place and Thirza Etta Perkins is the wife of Britton G. Featherstone, of Featherstone township, MN. Laura Perkins died at six years and Bertha Perkins at nine years of age. All the children, except Charles E. Perkins, were born in Featherstone township, MN. He was born in Maine before the family came west.
Source: History of Goodhue County, Minnesota. Editor-in-chief. By: Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
GEORGE ALBION PERKINS, Thorough preparatory training is more essential in the medical profession, probably, than in any other. The practitioner in that profession can achieve prominence only through demonstrated skill, and the wider his experience in connection with the various hospitals during his course of studies, the better he is equipped to take upon himself the responsibilities of a general practice. If he wins the confidence of his patients early in his career it is a strong indication that he has acquired considerable skill and will later take high rank in his profession. Dr. George A. Perkins, of Dickinson, North Dakota, is a good example of the young, successful practitioner. He is a native of the North Star state. His father, T. E. Perkins, was one of the early and well-to-do settlers of Goodhue county, Minnesota, having located on a farm near Red Wing, MN, in 1865, where he has resided continuously ever since. His mother's maiden name was Rhoda A. Boston. In common with other heroic woman of those days, she suffered the hardships of a pioneer life, but now enjoys the comforts to be obtained by a prosperous farmer. The paternal ancestry of our subject was Scotch, and was first represented in America by three brothers, who came here about the time of the first settlement in Maine. The one from whom Dr. Perkins is directly descended settled in Maine, the others in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. On his mother's side, he is of English descent, her ancestors having settled in New England in early colonial days. He was born on his father's farm, near Red Wing, MN, July 17th, 1871. His early education was received in the public schools. When twenty years of age he entered the State University of Minnesota and took two years in the scientific course. Desiring to take up the profession of medicine as his vocation in life, he entered the medical department of the same institution in October, 1894, and graduated in June, 1897. He was president of his class in the freshman year, and in the junior year, in a competitive examination, he won the position of house physician and surgeon at St. Luke's Hospital, St. Paul, MN, which he held from June, 1896 to June, 1897. In the senior year he was again successful in the competitive examination and secured the positing of house physician and surgeon in the City and County Hospital of St. Paul, MN, which position he held until April, 1898, when he removed to North Dakota and located at Dickinson, where he began the active practice of his profession. Shortly afterwards he formed a partnership with Dr. H. A. Davis, under the firm name of Drs. Davis & Perkins. This partnership was dissolved Jan. 1st, 1901, since which time he has practiced alone. In his short term of practice, Dr. Perkins has acquired a reputation for being a thoroughly competent and skillful practitioner, and if his present success is a safe criterion he is bound to rise in his profession. Dr. Perkins is a Republican in politics, but has never taken an active part in political affairs. He is a member of the North Dakota State Medical association and the American Medical association. In his junior year at college he was elected to membership in the N. E. N. Medical fraternity. He is also a Mason. June 28th, 1899, he was married to Miss MINNIE F. McDOWELL, of Minneapolis, MN
Source: History of the great Northwest and its men of progress. A select list of biographical sketches and portraits of the leaders in business, professional and official life. Published under the personal supervision of Hugh J. McGrath and William Stoddard. Ed. by C. W. G. Hyde and Wm. Stoddard. Minneapolis, The Minneapolis Journal, 1901
HARTSON E. PERKINS, farmer, sec. 9, P.O. Red Wing, MN. Born in Franklin county, Maine, April 12th, 1835. Came to this county when 20 years old, landed in Red Wing Nov. 10th, 1855, took claim of 160 acres, where he and his brother Charles Perkins, lived for two years, engaged at intervals working in the pineries on Apple River, Wisconsin. The second winter he spent in banking wood on the Mississippi below Red Wing, and enterprise in which he lost every dollar he had. In 1867, he built the hose where he now resides, having up to that time accumulated 480 acres of land, which he has since increased to 814, in this township, besides 800 acres in other localities. He has also an interest in several enterprises in Red Wing. Was married March 20th, 1859, to VILETTE P. ELLSWORTH. She was born in Franklin county, Maine, Oct. 10th, 1842. Have five children, Marshall T. Perkins born Nov. 28th, 1863; Alfred H. Perkins born Oct. 26th, 1868; Berton G. or T. Perkins born Sept. 9th, 1870 (*or Sept. 9th. 1869); Frank E. Perkins born Sept. 4th, 1874; and Elmer A. Perkins born March 2nd, 1876. Family belong to the M. E. Church.
ALFRED H. PERKINS, deceased, was born in Featherstone, MN, this county, October 26th, 1867, a scion of old New England stock. His parents, H. (Hartson) and Violetta E. (Ellsworth) Perkins, [*See above sketch]. left New England in their later fifties and located on a farm in the county of Goodhue, coming to Red Wing, MN in the early seventies. Here the father was engaged in several business ventures, continuing his connection with same until his death. The mother now makes her home in Boston, Mass. Alfred Perkins received his education in the public schools of Red Wing, MN, farmed five years at Featherstone, MN, engaged in the livery business at Red Wing, MN for a time, and then returned to Featherstone, MN again. In 1895 he removed to Hartland, Pierce county, Wisconsin, and followed farming there until 1900, after which he entered the employ of the government as rural mail clerk. He died April 15th, 1906. Thus cut off in the prime of manhood, there is doubtless much that he would have accomplished had he lived man's allotted span of days. His wife was characterized by hard work and family devotion, and his death was a distinct bereavement to the community as well as to his loving family. He was a Republican in politics, a communicant of the Episcopal church and a member of the Modern Workmen. Mr. Perkins was married, April 24th, 1889, at Burnside, Minnesota, to JENNIE W. PURDY, daughter of David and Mary F. (Rolfe) Purdy, natives of New York. They came to Minnesota in 1864 and located on a farm in Goodhue township, where they remained for some time, after which they retired and moved to Red Wing, MN, where the father died. The mother died May 19th, 1905. To Mr. and Mrs. Alfred H. Perkins were born three children; Harry H. Perkins, born Aug. 1st, 1892; Burton T. Perkins, born October 14th, 1896; and Genevieve Perkins, born September 19th, 1897. The family residence is at 1604 West Sixth Street.
Source: History of Goodhue County, Minnesota. Editor-in-chief. By: Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
MARSHALL T. PERKINS, Red Wing, MN, liveryman, was born in Featherstone township, Goodhue Co., MN, Nov. 28th, 1862. His parents H. (Hartson) and Violetta E. (Ellsworth) Perkins, [*See above sketch], came from Maine, their native state, in the late fifties, and purchased a farm in Featherstone, MN, where Harston Perkins carried on farming extensively until some time in the seventies. He then came to Red Wing, MN, became interested to a greater or less extent in several business ventures, and died in July, 1899. His wife now makes her home in Boston, Mass. Marshall T. Perkins received his education in the schools of his neighborhood, and kept books for his father two years after leaving school. He then for ten years engaged in farming in Featherstone township, MN, on his own account. Following this he made his first venture in the livery business, running a livery and sale stable at Red Wing, MN for three years. He then again returned to Featherstone, MN and farmed five years. In 1906 he opened his present livery at 319 Plum street, which he has sine successfully conducted, being a good judge of horse flesh and a fair-minded business man. He is a Republican in politics, and while at Featherstone, MN, served as constable and justice of the peace on several occasions. Mr. Perkins was married March 17th, 1884, at Red Wing, MN to ANNA R. PURDY, daughter of David and Mary Frances (Rolfe) Purdy, natives of New York state. They came to America in 1864, and located on a farm in Goodhue township, MN, where they remained for some time, after which they retired and moved to Red Wing, MN, where the mother died. The father is also deceased. To Marshall T. and Anna R. Perkins were born nine children; Edward W. Perkins, Nina C. Perkins, Edna E. Perkins, Frances V. Perkins, Ada A. Perkins, Marjorie C. Perkins, Delta Perkins, Doris Perkins and Lawrence Perkins. Frances V. Perkins is a milliner at St. Paul, MN. The rest live in Red Wing, MN, the four youngest being at home. The mother of these children died at Red Wing, May 13th, 1903, and Mr. Perkins was married again, at Red Wing, MN, August 27th, 1908, to LULU M. HARN, of this city.
Source: History of Goodhue County, Minnesota. Editor-in-chief. By: Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge
J. E. PERKINS, a native of Minnesota, was born at St. Anthony's, Hennepin county, in 1855. He grew up there; from 1874 until 1879 lived on a farm in section 31, Hector township, Renville Co., MN; during the latter year he engaged in the butchering business in the village of Hector, MN in company with his brother, L. J. Perkins. His father, J. B. Perkins a native of North Carolina, is living in McLeod county, Minnesota.
IRENUS PERKINS, was born in New Hampshire, in 1817. On attaining majority, he purchased a farm, which he carried on until 1847, then embarked in the mercantile trade, continuing six years. Disposing of his interests, he came to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and in company with three associates, erected a saw-mill, run it two years, then came to Lakeville, MN. He engaged in farming until 1877, and in 1874, built an elevator at Lakeville, MN. Is county commissioner of the Fifth district. Mr. Perkins has been twice married, to his present wife in 1847. He has six children; two by first wife and four by present one.
Source: History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings: Including the Explorers ... by Rev. Edward D. Neill
S. A. PERKINS, was born in Massachusetts in 1831. At the age of eighteen years, he apprenticed to the carpenter's trade, and served three years. Engaged chiefly in the pursuit of his trade until 1868, then came to Dakota county, Minnesota, and pursued agriculture three years. Moving at that time to Lakeville, MN, he has since made the township his home. Married in 1852, to Miss LUCINA DOLE, who has borne him four children.
Source: History of Dakota County and the
City of Hastings: Including the Explorers ... by
Rev. Edward D. Neill
NATHAN S. PERKINS,
deceased, was born in Rochester, Ulster Co., NY. When he was young his parents moved to Sullivan county,
NY where Nathan Perkins learned the tanner's trade. He afterward went to
Ulster, NY and for twenty-five years was engaged in mercantile pursuits.
He was united in marriage on the 16th of October, 1836, with Miss
NANCY GILLETT, of Sullivan county.
They came to Money Creek, Houston Co., MN in 1864, and purchased a farm in
section thirty from which Mr. Perkins furnished timer for the building of
the Southern Minnesota railroad. On Sunday, the 22nd of June, 1864, while
attempting to cross the Root River to attend the church at Houston, MN, he
was drowned. Not returning home at the usual time, the family became
alarmed, and after a long search succeeded in finding the body. His
children are Edgar A. Perkins, who resides on a farm in Todd
county, MN; Benjamin F.(Franklin) Perkins, residing in this place;
Eugene G. Perkins, conductor on the Southern Minnesota railroad and
resides in La Crosse; George G. Perkins has charge of a stationary
engine in Virginia City, Nevada; Darius L. Perkins, engineer on the
Southern Minnesota railroad and lives at La Crosse; and
who was born on the 10th of January, 1839. He learned the blacksmith
trade, at which he was engaged until 1861, when he enlisted in the
One-hundred and fifty-sixth New York volunteer Infantry, serving four
years. In 1869, he was joined in matrimony with Miss
HELEN L. BARLOW, and returned to his home in this place in
February, 1870. He was engaged as a mail agent on the Southern Minnesota
railroad for a few years, and now holds the position of postal clerk on
the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad. He has three children;
Jessie B. Perkins; Ella M. Perkins and Ross B. Perkins,
who reside with their mother and grand-mother on the old homestead.
Nancy (Gillett) Perkins
superintendent U.S. railway mail service; born in (Lackawack, Wawarsing
Township)*, Ulster Co., New York, Jan. 10th, 1839, son of Nathan
Salisbury and Nancy (Gillette) Perkins;-[*See above sketch] educated in common schools and
seminary, N. Y.; married at Bruynswick, N. Y., 1869, to Miss
HELEN BARLOW. Served in Civil War as
member of 56th Regt., N. Y. Vol. Inf., 1861-1865, advancing from private to
captain; came to Minnesota, 1866, entered railway mail service in 1871 and
since April, 1889, has been superintendent of the service with headquarters
in St. Paul. Republican. Member Masonic order, Loyal Legion, G. A. R. Club;
Commercial. Recreation: Fishing. Office: Federal Bldg., St. Paul. Residence:
ANDREW L. PERKINS, was born in Medford, Massachusetts, in 1827. He was educated in the common schools of that place. In 1849 he left home for California; remained there three years then was eight months in the Sandwich Islands, thence went to South America, and at the end of twenty-one months went back to Massachusetts. Was on the sea as captain for five years. In 1864 came to St. Paul, and is now engaged in the *carriage business. Married in 1855, MARY W. RINDGE of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
*A. L. Perkins,
Manufacturer of light wagons
and carriages, first opened his business under the firm name of Hall and
Company, in 1870, at his present location, in rear of the post-office
building. In 1871, he purchased Mr. Hall's interest, and has since carried
on the business of manufacturing light spring wagons and carriages, and
general repair shop. During the first year of his trade he manufactured
about fifty new rigs. During the past few years he has dealt more in
carriages from Boston. He contemplates opening a repository for eastern
made work. His repair work is very large. His shop is 30 x 90 feet.
A. F. PERKINS, was born in Enfield, Maine, in 1833, and came to Maine Prairie, Stearns Co., Minnesota in 1856. He took a claim, built a house and improved his farm until 1861, when he enlisted in the 1st Minnesota Regiment, and after serving one year was transferred to the 1st United States Cavalry. He was in many of the principal engagements of the war, being engaged in forty-two battles and skirmishes. He served three years and two months. In Aug., 1864, he was wounded and in January, 1865, was discharged. Returning home he was married that spring. After operating his farm for 21 years he moved to St. Cloud, MN. He was a justice of the peace six years, and held other town and school offices and was a prominent member of the Lyceum and Grange.
Source:Early history of Maine Prairie, Fair Haven, Lynden, MN - By: Edwin H. Atwood, 1829
DANIEL F. PERKINS, was born in Maine in 1829, and arrived and took up a claim in Maine Prairie in 1856. He enlisted in the 4th Regiment in 1861. In 1863, while charging on the works at Vicksburg, he was killed.
Source: Early history of Maine Prairie, Fair Haven, Lynden, MN - By: Edwin H. Atwood, 1829
D. A. PERKINS, was born in Canada, in 1834, and in 1839 he moved to Pennsylvania. He also lived in Ohio awhile and came from that State to Minnesota in 1854, and stopped at Minneapolis until 1857, when he arrived at Fair Haven, MN. He enlisted in Company C., 1st Minnesota Regiment in 1861, and was discharged in 1864, and re-enlisted in the same regiment and served until the close of the war. He was captured June 22nd, 1864, before Petersburg and was a prisoner nine months, parts of the time he was confined in the Andersonville, Libby, Bell Island and Florence prisons. He remained in Fair Haven, Stearns Co., MN until 1867, when he went to work on his farm near Sauk Center, MN. He has resided in St. Cloud, MN fifteen years. He was married in Jan., 1867.
Source: Early history of Maine Prairie, Fair Haven, Lynden, MN -(Stearns Co., MN) By: Edwin H. Atwood, 1829
A. D. PERKINS, Attorney, was a native of Erie county, New York, where he was born on March 24th, 1847. He took a three-year course in the Griffith Business College, at Springfield, New York. He studied law at home and in law offices and finally opened an office in Alma, Buffalo Co., Wisconsin. His next location was at Madelia. He was not successful there and, in March, 1872, came to Windom, MN. The first office to which he was elected was county attorney in 1872, at the same time being elected to the office of probate judge. In 1897 he was elected a member of the upper house of the state Legislature, serving in that capacity for four years. He was appointed district judge of the thirteenth judicial district of Minnesota in 1885, and was elected to that office in 1886. After he retired from the bench he entered church and Sunday school work, in which he was highly successful.
Source: History of Cottonwood and Watonwan counties, Minnesota ... v.1.
ALFRED D. PERKINS, Judge. It is true that an honest, faithful, capable life, considered even in its temporal relations, is not lived in vain, that its influence is not as transient and evanescent as mere physical vitality, but that the progress of mankind, in all that is virtuous and ennobling, is accelerated by it. One such life in Cottonwood county, MN during the past generation was that of the late Judge Alfred D. Perkins, for many years a distinguished lawyer, jurist, politician and banker, whose reputation was state-wide and whose influence toward the up-building of this section of Minnesota was most salutary. Judge Alfred D. Perkins was born in Erie county, New York, March 24th, 1847. He was educated in the public and high schools of his native community, later studying at Griffith Institute. When a young man he took up the study of law, and removed to Wisconsin in 1868, locating at the town of Alma, WI where he was admitted to the bar and practiced his profession one year. He came to Plainview, Minnesota, in 1869, where he spent two years, and there he was married on April 19th, 1871, to FLORENCE A. BURCHARD, a native of Gainesville, Wyoming county, New York. She is a daughter of Rodman and Esther Austin (Davis) Burchard, natives of New York. The father devoted his early years to mercantile pursuits and farming. He removed with his family from New York to Plainview, Minnesota, in 1856, and there his death occurred on Feb. 6th, 1883. His wife preceded him to the grave many years, dying on June 10th, 1866. Politically, he was a Republican. He attended the Congregational church. His family consisted of the following children: Emily Burchard; Charles D. Burchard; Florence A. Burchard; and Mattie Ann Burchard (deceased). Mr. Burchard married for his second wife, Maggie Crossen, whose death occurred in 1901, by which union one child was born, Fay R. Burchard, died in 1885. After his marriage, Judge Alfred D. Perkins spent one year in Madelia, MN, removing from there in the spring of 1872 to Windom, MN, where he successfully engaged in the active practice of law for many years, in fact, was a leader of the local bar and a prominent figure in the local courts. He was elected county attorney and was also judge of probate for several years. He was elected state senator in 1878, and served four years. In March, 1885, he was appointed district judge of the thirteenth judicial district, and was elected to this important position in 1886, continuing on the bench until March, 1891, when he resigned. In each of these responsible positions he performed his duties in a manner that reflected much credit upon himself and to the eminent satisfaction of all concerned, being a man of prolonged legal learning, careful, faithful, painstaking and courteous, unbiased in his decisions and upholding the law in a dignified and commendable manner. He was a man of ripe legal scholarship and a public-spirited citizen who did much for his community and state in a general way, and enjoyed the good will and esteem of all who knew him. After leaving the bench he was for a period of four years state superintendent of Sunday schools, a work in which he took great delight, and he did a splendid service in this line, greatly increasing the attendance in the Sunday school in every county. In September, 1891, he moved to Minneapolis, where he made his residence for five years, returning to Windom, MN in 1896, resuming the practice of law. Judge Alfred D. Perkins was a great organizer and an all-around business man of rare acumen. In 1885 he organized the Bank of Windom, MN, which began business in May of that year, he being cashier from the first. He sold his interest in this institution in 1896, and organized the Peoples Bank, which was consolidated with the Bank of Windom, MN, April 27th, 1897, becoming the First National Bank of which Judge Perkins was president until his death, September 4th, 1898. The prestige and rapid growth of this sound and popular institution was due to the able management and wise counsel of the judge. Judge Alfred D. Perkins was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which his widow also belongs. They became the parents of four children, namely: Eliza Anna Perkins, born at Madelia, MN, April 4th, 1872; and she died in Los Vegas, New Mexico, August 5th, 1902; she was a graduate of the University of Minnesota, and taught school for some time; she married Jesse E. Pope, January 1st, 1897, and to their union two children were born, Gladys Anna Pope, Oct. 5th, 1897, and Darwin Jesse Pope, Nov. 13th, 1898. Edna Lucy Perkins, second of Judge Perkins children, was born at Windom, MN, September 14th, 1874, and died on September 16th, 1875; Truman Alfred Perkins, the third child, was born in Windom, MN, May 4th, 1876, and here he was reared and educated in the public schools, later attending high school in Minneapolis, MN, after which he went to Grand Forks, North Dakota, where he worked for the Brooks Elevator Company for about five months; then went to Mountain Lake, MN, where he became assistant cashier of a bank, which position he held about a year. In 1897 he took a position with the First National Bank of Windom, MN, upon its organization, and he has been connected with the same ever since, first as assistant cashier, since 1912 he has been cashier. He is a director in the First State Bank of Storden, Minnesota. Politically, he is an independant voter. He is now a member of the city council, also a member of the school board in Windom, MN. Fraternally, he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; the chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Truman A. Perkins was married on October 5th, 1909, to A. MAY HUTTON, who was born in Windom, MN, May 13th, 1880. She is a daughter of John Hutton, a pioneer merchant of Windom, MN. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Perkins, Jane Hutton Perkins, whose birth occurred September 3rd, 1912. Mr. Perkins belongs to the Presbyterian church. Roy Burchard Perkins, fourth child of Judge Alfred D. Perkins and wife, was born in Windom, MN, July 18th, 1883. Here he grew up and attended the public and high schools, later the agricultural department of the University of Minnesota. He owns a ranch at Lone Tree, Wyoming, where he resides. He (Roy Burchard Perkins) married BESSIE NELSON on July 20th, 1904, and they have six children, namely; Alfred Darwin Perkins, born April 17th, 1905; Clarence N. Perkins, December 10th, 1906; Roy Burchard Perkins, Jr., October 8th, 1908; Ruth Perkins, May 31st, 1910; Truman Perkins, November 25th, 1912, and Florence Perkins, January 13th, 1915.
Source: History of Cottonwood and Watonwan counties, Minnesota ... v.2.
(HON) A.D. PERKINS (Alfred D. Perkins), is the popular and efficient judge of the Thirteenth Judicial district of the State of Minnesota. He resides in Windom, Cottonwood Co., MN. Judge Perkins is a native of Erie county, New York, where he was born March 24, 1847. His parents were Horace and Eliza (Horton) Perkins, both of whom were natives of Erie county, New York. The subject of our sketch remained with his mother until he was thirteen years of age, up to which time he had attended the district schools, and worked on the home farm. For two years after leaving home he engaged in farm work, the first year at $4 per month, and the second at $5.50 per month. During the winters he attended school, working in various families for his board. The third year he entered the employ of a farmer, who compelled him to sleep in an outhouse, where he was so exposed that he took a severe cold, being obliged to return home after one month's service. When he was sufficiently recovered he took a three months' course in penmanship, and then his mother arranged matters so that he could take a course in the Griffith Business Institute, at Springfield, Erie county, New York. He continued in this institution for three years, and then engaged in various occupations for himself. He went to the oil region near Oil Creek, Pennsylvania, where he continued some two years. He then returned home with the intention of taking up the study of law, or entering an apprenticeship in a machine shop. He went to a point twenty miles from Buffalo, and not knowing what else to do, looked over a machine shop in that place, and finally entered the employ of Strickland & Co. Soon after he purchased twenty-five dollars' worth of law books, and started for home, at this time being nineteen years of age. He made an arrangement to work for his step-father (his mother having married Mr. Wood in 1856) one day in the week for his board. The balance of his time was devoted to the study of law. After one year spent in this way he wrote to Mr. Boies, a lawyer of Hamburg, Erie Co., NY in regard to studying law in his office. The business of this gentlemen had been purchased by a Mr. Calkins, and the letter falling into the latter gentleman's hands, our subject some time after made an arrangement with him to study law and work for his board. He remained with that gentleman for about two years, during which time he pursued his studies earnestly, and with great diligent. He also taught one term of school. Then, feeling great need of a better education, he returned to Griffeth Institute. In the meantime he fell into the company of a young man was on his way West. An agreement was made between them that if this young man could find a suitable location in the far West our subject was to drop everything and join him. Word was received and Mr. Perkins came to Alma, Buffalo county, Wisconsin, in the spring of 1868. He then opened a law office and became connected with the county newspaper. At the end of six months, not being satisfied with the newspaper investment, he bartered his interest for lumber and shipped it. He then made an arrangement with U. F. Sargeant, an attorney at Plainview, MN to which place he went and engaged in the practice of his profession. His next location was at Madelia, Watonwan county, MN where he opened a law office and entered the political arena as a candidate for county attorney. He was not successful in this move, however, and soon after located in Windom, MN. Since March, 1872, he has been a resident of that place. Perhaps no man in the county has proven such a public spirited citizen as Judge Perkins. He has taken an active interest in public affairs and has rendered valuable assistance in the administration of the affairs of county government. The first office to which he was elected was that of county attorney in 1872, at the same time being elected to the office of judge of probate, and holding these offices for a number of years. In 1897 he was elected as a member of the upper house of the State legislature, serving in that capacity for four years. He was a presidential elector in 1884, and cast his ballot for James G. Blaine. He was appointed district judge of the Thirteenth Judicial district of Minnesota in 1885, and was elected to that office in 1886. His district is composed of six counties -- Cottonwood, Jackson, Nobles, Rock, Murray and Pipestone. In the administration of the judicial affairs of his office Judge Perkins has proven himself a man of rare capabilities and possessed of a mind of remarkable legal acumen. He is a man of large experience and thorough cultivated thought and is well equipped both by natural and acquired endowments to fill the important judicial position which he now holds. In 1881, in partnership with P. J. Kniss, of Luverne, MN, Judge Perkins founded the Windom Bank, and after three months purchased Mr. Kniss interest and took in Erick Sevatson. The bank was incorporated as a State institution in May, 1885, with a capital of $40,000. Judge Perkins is a stanch republican in politics and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has a beautiful residence in the north part of the village of Windom, where he now resides. Mr. Perkins was married in 1851 to Miss FLORENCE A. BURCHER, of Plainview, Minnesota, daughter of Rodman and Esther (Davidson) Burcher, natives of Wyoming county, New York. Her parents came West in 1855 and settled near Plainview, MN. Mrs. Perkins is a lady of refinement and is an excellent musician. Judge and Mrs. Perkins have been blessed with four children, three of whom are now living -- Eliza A. Perkins; Trueman A. Perkins; and Ray B. Perkins.
Source: Illustrated album of Biography of Southwestern Minnesota, containing ... etc.. - (1889)
JOHN F. PERKINS, was born Feb. 24th, 1842, at South Berwick, Maine. He worked first in a slate quarry. Was rejected on presenting himself for enlistment at the opening of the Rebellion, but soon after found employment on the supply and ammunition train, where he remained in the government service during the war. Came to Minnesota in 1868; followed lumbering and farming ever since, served on the school board in district 38. Settled in 1891, he was married to ALICE E. VARNEY. Children - Vernard T. Perkins; Fay Perkins, Roy E. Perkins, Almeda Perkins, Charles C. Perkins and Arthur Perkins.
Source: History of Anoka County and the towns of Champlin and Dayton in Hennepin County, MN - Albert M. Goodrich - 1905
ASA M. PERKINS, stock-raiser and farmer, Monticello township, MN, was born in Morris, Illinois, September 16th, 1852, son of Joseph and Roxanna (Baldwin) Perkins, natives of Massachusetts, who came to Wright county, Minnesota in 1854, brought their family in 1855, and located in Monticello township, Wright county, MN. The father died September 6th, 1906, and the mother March 4th, 1894. In the family there were four children; Waldo Perkins (deceased); Asa M. Perkins; Eda Perkins, widow of J. S. Day, of Raymond, MN; and Abbie Perkins, the wife of A. D. Lewis, of Everett, Washington. Asa M. Perkins spent his youth on the home farm, passed through the district schools, and took courses at the University of Minnesota. In 1874 he went to Kandiyohi county, MN, and took a claim, where he remained four years. In 1882 he bought eighty acres in section 35, Monticello township, MN. He now owns 295 acres, has put in a full line of improvements, carries on general farming, and makes a specialty of swine raising. He is well known as a successful educator, having taught school some twenty winters in the schools of this county. He is independent in politics, and has been town supervisor, as well as serving in minor offices, and has been a member of the school board for many years. He is a popular member of the M. W. A. Mr. Perkins was married, July 10th, 1879, to FLORENCE BUCKLIN, a native of Rockford township, MN, this county, daughter of Alby and Rebecca (Leeper) Bucklin, natives respectively of Michigan and Indiana, who located in Rockford township, Wright county, Minnesota in the early fifties and were there during the Wright county war. Mr. Bucklin died in 1895 and his wife in 1861. In their family there were five children; George Bucklin, of Minneapolis; Charles Bucklin, of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; Udoris Bucklin (deceased); Ernest Bucklin (deceased); and Florence Bucklin, wife of Asa M. Perkins. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have eleven children: Eda Perkins (deceased); Alby Perkins, of North Dakota; Bert Perkins, at home; Lottie Perkins, wife of John Larson, of Minneapolis; Frank Perkins, at home; Charles Perkins (deceased); Carrie Perkins, Viola Perkins and Della Perkins, at home; and Florence Perkins and Edward Perkins (deceased).
Source: History of Wright County, Minnesota - by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge. Published 1915
JOHN GEORGE PERKINS, one of the progressive citizens of Hawley, Cromwell township, Clay Co., MN, who has long made his home in Clay county, MN, the interests of which he has ever had at heart and sought to promote. He was born in Flintham, Nottinghamshire, England, Nov. 9th, 1853, a son of William and Ann (Long) Perkins, both also natives of Nottinghamshire, England, the father born at Flintham and the mother at Elston. They married in their native land, and there they continued to reside until 1873, when they came to Minnesota with the first English colony that settled at Hawley, in Clay Co., MN. Here William Perkins, father of John George Perkins, took up a claim of one hundred and sixty acres, in the spring of 1873, selecting a good tract in section 30 of Cromwell township, Clay Co., MN. He developed the land into a productive farm, established a comfortable home and spent the rest of his life there. He made all improvements on the place, erecting the buildings and planting a grove, planting the first tree in that neighborhood. He also took up two tree claims. William Perkins had been a soldier in the old country, serving as a Yeoman cavalryman in a "Notts" (Nottinghamshire) regiment. He was a Methodist and helped organize the first church at Hawley, MN. He also helped organize Cromwell township and was for many years a member of the township board. He was one of the influential men in his locality, always active in public affairs, and was at one time a candidate on the People's party for county commissioner. He was one of the best-known and useful pioneers in Cromwell township, and highly respected by all who knew him. His family consisted of five children, named as follows: John George Perkins, the subject of this sketch; Mary Ann Perkins and Maria Perkins, who are both living; Sarah Perkins, deceased and Charles Perkins, who is living on the old home place in Cromwell township, Clay Co., MN. John George Perkins grew up in England, there attended the public schools and Besthorp boarding school and was twenty years of age when he came to the United States with is parents. He helped his father start the family home in Cromwell township, working hard, as did all sons of pioneer settlers in those days. In 1876, he began life for himself by pre-empting one hundred and sixty acres in section 18 of Cromwell township; later converted eighty acres of it to a homestead, and still later homesteaded an adjoining fifty-five acres. He also tree-claimed a quarter section in section 8 of the same township and now has one of the choice farms of his locality, having erected a modern and substantial group of buildings on it, placed it under a fine state of cultivation and has set out a large grove, which is now very attractive. He has met with much more than mediocre success, all along the line, as a general farmer and stock raiser as a result of his perseverance and close application. In 1884, Mr. Perkins was married to SARAH JANE HARPER, who was born in Canada. She is a daughter of John Harper, now deceased who moved from Canada to Minnesota, locating at New York Mills, in Otter Tail County, Minnesota, where he established the future home of the family. Thirteen children were born to John George Perkins and wife, namely: John William Perkins, Elsie May Perkins; Annie Maude Perkins; Hazel Perkins; Eleanor Perkins; Frederick Lawrence Perkins; Earl Perkins; Pearl Perkins; James Perkins; Blanche Perkins, all living, and George Perkins and Frederick Perkins, who died young. The mother of these children died in 1910. Politically Mr. Perkins is a non-partisan. He was township assessor a number of years ago and also was constable in the old days, when there was considerable lawlessness and when the duties of such an officer were much more strenuous than now. He has also served on the local school board in various capacities.
PERKINS, one of the most progressive and up-to-date
newspapers in Todd county, Minnesota, is the Bertha Herald, of which
John C. Perkins is editor and publisher. Mr. Perkins is a successful
newspaper man, who was trained in the office of his father and brother, and
not only is he successful as a newspaper owner, editor and publisher, but he
is likewise prominent as a citizen and before coming to Todd county,
Minnesota, served in different positions of trust and responsibility in the
state of Dakota, where he was then living. John C. Perkins is a native of
Newchester township, Adams county, Wisconsin, where he was born on March
14th, 1870. He is the son of Lewis S. and Martha (McClyman) Perkins,
who are now living retired in the state of South Dakota. They have seven
children; Fannie O. Perkins, Sarah L. Perkins, Lewis W.
Perkins, Lucretia R. Perkins, John C. Perkins, Charles
A. Perkins and Roy W. Perkins. John C. Perkins was educated in
the public schools of Westfield, Wisconsin, and attended the high school at
that place for a time, although he was not a graduate. In 1886 he immigrated
to the territory of Dakota, now the state of South Dakota, and worked in the
newspaper show of his father and brother, Lewis W.
Perkins, which they owned and were then operating. After remaining
with his father and brother in the print shop until the fall of 1896. Mr.
Perkins became a candidate for clerk of the court of Roberts county, South
Dakota, and was elected to the office. He took charge of the office on Jan.
1st, 1897, and two years later was re-elected to a second term, serving
until Jan. 1st, 1903. Afterward Mr. Perkins engaged in the abstract
business, but six months later he was appointed by Gov. S. H. Elrod to the
responsible position of commissioner of insurance of South Dakota. Mr.
Perkins held this position until Oct., 1906, when he resigned and engaged in
the general real-estate and insurance business at Sisseton, South Dakota
until the winter of 1914. Mr. Perkins was engaged in the real-estate
business at that place, but in 1914 came to Bertha, Minnesota, and purchased
the Bertha Herald, from W. H. Hansen. The Bertha Herald is a
live, up-to-date weekly newspaper and has a very satisfactory circulation in
Bertha, MN and adjoining township. John C. Perkins was married on June 18th,
1892, to LILLIAN P. PERKINS, who was
born in Fillmore county, Minnesota. She moved with her parents to Dakota
when a small child and was educated in the public schools of South Dakota,
making her home with her parents until her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins
have two children, Clifford R. Perkins and J. Basil Perkins,
both of whom are graduates of the high school. Clifford R. Perkins is also a
graduate of the Mankato Business College, at Mankato, Minnesota. John C.
Perkins is prominent in the Masonic circles of Todd county, Minnesota. He is
a member of the blue lodge No. 131, at Sisseton, South Dakota; the chapter;
the commandery; and the Yelduz Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at
Aberdeen, South Dakota. In the blue lodge, Mr. Perkin sis a past worshipful
Source: History of the Upper Mississippi Valley, 1881.
(Rev.) ALFRED G. PERKINS, was born in Poughkeepsie, Ulster County, New York, June 1808, and died at Melrose, Minnesota, Jan. 15th, 1880. He was married to Miss M. O. BROWN in the city of New York in 1830, who yet lives to mourn her loss. In 1833, while at work in a hatter shop near Hartford, Connecticut, feeling deeply the need of a Savior, in answer to earnest prayer, he received the witness of pardon and salvation through the blood of the Lamb, and soon after connected himself with the Congregational Church. Finding that the doctrine and economy of the M. E. Church were more in harmony with his views, he transferred his membership, and ever continued a worthy member until called to the Church triumphant. He was licensed to exhort in Cincinnati, Ohio by Rev. J. M. Trimble in 1834, and in the following year was licensed to preach, and received on trial in the South-east Indiana Conference. His fields of labor were Versailles Circuit, Canaan, Mount Sterling, and Worcester. By reason of failing health he was transferred to Minnesota Conference in 1857. His appointments were as follows: Hastings, Traverse and Saint Peter, Cleveland, Saint Peter District, Pine Bend, Morristown and Milton, Garden City, Freeborn, Berlin, Dundas, Waterville, and Lake Crystal. He was superannuated two years, made effective and appointed at Grove Lake in 1878, and last fall to Melrose, MN. Brother Perkins was a good man and true, intensely loyal to the Church of his choice, and the government as well. Many will remember his patriotic sermons and addresses during the late rebellion. As a preacher he was above average; his literary attainments were respectable, but a thorough training in early life would have made him a strong man indeed. There was a marked contrast in his pulpit efforts; sometimes producing sermons which would have done honor to the most able divine. He was warm-hearted, generous, and cheerful. At the last conference he cheerfully received his appointment far out on the frontier; went and labored faithfully until within a few days of his death. A valiant hero, he fell at the front in the thickest of the fight. Surveying the past and the prospective future he said "I shall sleep in Jesus; I feel no dread" and peacefully entered into rest.
Source: Minutes of the (Minnesota) Annual Conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church - Spring Conferences of 1880. Published 1880
CALVIN PERKINS, one of the most popular and well-known citizens of the town of Collins, McLeod Co., MN, lives on section 19, where he has a pleasant home. He is one of the "brave boys in blue" that make their home in this county, and is the commander of the Grand Army Post, Lytle, No. 59, of Stewart, MN. He is a native of the grand old common wealth of Massachusetts, born in Bucklin,(Buckland) Franklin Co., MA, May 6th, 1828, and is the son of Alfred and Jane (Ward) Perkins. From his ninth year until he was sixteen years old he worked in a cotton mill at Colerain, attending school part of the time, and was foreman of one department on leaving the mill. Having a distaste for the business he commenced to learn the carpenter's trade, and followed that avocation until August 14th, 1862, when, being filled with patriotic ardor, he enlisted in Company H, Thirty-seventh Massachusetts Infantry, which was assigned for duty to the noble Sixth Corps, "The followers of the Cross", under the command of Major General John M. Sedgwick, and served in all three of its divisions. The regiment was present at the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellors Ville, Gettysburg, Hatcher's Run, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Cedar Creek, Petersburg again, Saylor's Creek and Appomattox, and he was always in the ranks. The noble regiment of which he was a member carried the "cross", its distinctive mark, into the thickest of every engagement, and was ranked as one of the best in the Army of the Potomac. It was one of those picked out as a mark of honor to go to New York at the time of the draft, riot to quell the disturbance, and remained there some three months. Mr. Perkins was remarkable in never having been absent from his regiment during its long and valuable service, and asked for his first furlough on its return to Washington. He was mustered out of service June 28th, 1865, and returned to his home. A few months later he removed to Northampton, MA, where he was engaged in contracting the manufacture of cutlery, and there followed that business until 1876, when he came to Minnesota, settling in Dakota county on a rented farm. One year later he removed to Collins, McLeod Co., MN, and homesteaded and took a tree claim in this and the adjoining county of Renville, MN of 160 acres of land, where he now lives. Mr. Perkins was united in marriage July 23rd, 1851, with Miss ELLEN MARTHA WIGHT, the daughter of Harvey and Pattie (Whiting) Wight, born in Bucklin,(Buckland) MA, Dec. 20th, 1832. By this union they have had three children; Calvin Judson Perkins, born Dec. 8th, 1852 and died November 22nd, 1869; Ellen S. Perkins, born February 13th, 1855, married Alden C. Carpenter, of Dakota Co., MN; Harvey Wight Perkins, born September 19th, 1867, now living at home. Mr. Perkins is a strong adherent to the principals of the republican party, and has filled the offices of supervisor and chairman of the board for several years with credit and honor to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents.
Source: Illustrated Album of Biography of Meeker and McLeod Counties, MN - (1888)
October 20th, 1914 - Mrs. D. A. Perkins (Daniel A. Perkins), whose maiden name was NANCY E. BONHAM and located at Fair Haven, Sterns Co., MN; 45 years ago, died at her home in this city Sunday, aged 77 years.