Biographical Sketches

  Resources :





Perkins Research Wisconsin Biographical Sketches

 ROYAL PERKINS, farmer, Section 33; P.O. Sharon, WI. Mr. Perkins was born in Vermont, in 1824; he removed to the State of New York, with his parents, when a boy, and thence to McHenry Co., Illinois, where his parents resided till their death. He came to the town of Walworth, WI in November, 1876. He lost his first wife in Illinois. His present wife was Mrs. JANE (WILLIS) ARNOLD. Mr. Perkins had five children by his first wife, four of whom are living - Emma Perkins, Mary Perkins, Harvey Perkins and Jay Perkins.

Source: History of Walworth County, Wisconsin

 JOHN P. PERKINS, blacksmith and carriage-maker, Juneau, WI; born in County Cornwall, England, Sept. 21st, 1843 (the anniversary of the Church of England); son of John Perkins; for five generations, the oldest of the family (all Johns) have been blacksmiths and worked in the same shop; John Perkins came to America in May, 1864; first to New York, and then to Chicago, IL, and then to Hustisford, Wisconsin, June 11th, 1864, and started a blacksmith-shop with his father, who came over with him. He bought his fathers interest out in 1868, and carried on the business very successfully till March, 1878, when he found a favorable chance to sell, and came to Juneau, WI and built the largest establishment for horse-shoeing and carriage-shops in the village, and has been carrying on a good and constantly increasing business; has accumulated a competency through his industry. Married Miss JOSEY KNOWLES, of Hustisford; have had eight children -- John Perkins b. March 9, 1868, Susan Perkins b. Jan. 9, 1870, Alice Perkins d/y, George Perkins b. April 6, 1861, Charley Perkins b. July 2, 1873, Arthur Perkins b. June 9, 1875, Mary Perkins b. May 15, 1877 and William Perkins b. April 9, 1879. Mr. Perkins was elected a Trustee of Juneau, WI in May, 1879, was brought up in the Church of England faith.

Source: History of Dodge County, Wisconsin

 THOMAS P. PERKINS. Among the men who in former years have been closely identified with business and agricultural interests of Hustisford township and with the general enterprises which most vitally effect the advancement of the section, is Thomas P. Perkins, now living retired in the village of Hustisford, WI. He was born in the county of Cornwall, England, May 2nd, 1847, and is a son of John and Jane (Prust) Perkins, both natives of Cornwall, England, the father born February 15th, 1815, and the mother in June, 1820. In England the father followed the trade of maltster and brewer and did work as a blacksmith and wagon-maker besides engaging in general farming. When he came to America in 1864, he settled immediately in Hustisford, WI, where he bought a blacksmith shop, which he continued to conduct for a number of years. Eventually, however, he turned over the management of the enterprise to his son, John Perkins, and after spending a short time in retirement in the village, went with Thomas P. Perkins of this review into Iowa, and remained five years. He died in the town of Hustisford, In November, 1894. His wife had passed away several years previously, her death having occurred in 1883. They were the parents of five children, of whom Thomas Perkins is the only one now living. In the acquirement of an education Mr. Perkins of this review attended the public school in England and later an academy in Exeter, Devonshire. When he was seventeen years of age he came with his parents to America and for some time worked as a farm hand in Du Page county, Illinois. After one year, however, he joined his father in Wisconsin and was employed by a farmer in Lebanon township, spending the summers in this way and attending school in the winter. After laying aside his books he went to Milwaukee, where he worked as a collector for a few months, and then returned to Lebanon township, where he farmed for his father-in-law for two summers. In the spring of 1871 he purchased land in Wright county, Iowa, and continued to develop this property for six years, after which he sold it at a profit and returned to Hustisford township. Here he rented a farm from his father-in-law and moved upon it in the spring of 1877. From that time until 1901 he steadily carried forward the work of development and improvement, buying the farm in the meantime and becoming widely recognized as an able and progressive agriculturist. In 1901 he rented out his property and in the same year bought a home in Hustisford, where he has since lived retired. In the following year he sold his farm but is still the owner of extensive tracts of land in various parts of Wisconsin. From 1878 until the time he abandoned active life he was president of the Burr Oak Cheese Factory and took an active part in the development of the enterprise.

On the 20th of April, 1871, Mr. Perkins married Miss RACHAEL R. BAKER, who was born in Cornwall, England, April 8th, 1845. She is a daughter of Thomas and Eliza (Baker) Baker, both natives of the same section, the father born December 15th, 1817, and the mother in 1815. They came to America in 1852 and located first in Canada, whence after one years they went to Chicago and later to Walworth county, Wisconsin. Eventually, however, the father bought a farm in Lebanon township, Dodge County, and continued to operate this until his death, August 18th, 1890. They were the parents of five children; Mary Baker, now Mrs.. Edington, who resides in Augusta, Eau Clair Co., WI; Eliza Baker, who became the wife of S. B. Jones, of Hustisford township; Rachael Baker, now Mrs. Perkins; and Thomas W. Baker, who is engaged in the liquor business in Hustisford.

Mr. and Mrs. Perkins became the parents of seven children; John Perkins, who was born June 22nd, 1872 and died October 8th, 1884; Elizabeth J. Perkins, born May 3rd, 1873, who became the wife of Gustav Seefeldt, a farmer of this township; Arthur Perkins, who was born on the 15th of January, 1878, and died when about fourteen months of age; Thomas Baker Perkins, who was born July 8th, 1884, and who died in infancy; William H. Perkins, born June 23rd, 1891, who resides with his parents; and two, who died in infancy.

The family are devout adherents of the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Perkins is serving as superintendent of the Sunday school. He gives his allegiance to the republican party but never allows his personal convictions to be influenced by party standards. In the course of years he has figured prominently in the public life of his district and is at present justice of the peace and notary public. In 1902 he was a candidate for the legislature but his most important public work has been along the lines of school expansion. For eighteen years he was treasurer of his school district and during that time did a great deal to improve the quality of instruction given to the children of Hustisford by paying good salaries in order to secure competent teachers. Although Mr. Perkins has given up active work, his interests are still closely identified with the development of the section in which he has lived so many years. In his retirement he can look back on an active life, connected always with lasting, useful and honorable things, and can rest in the consciousness of worthy work well done.

Source: History of Dodge County, Wisconsin

 EUGENE G. PERKINS, trainmaster of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, was born in Ulster county, N. Y. , Feb. 13th, 1848. His parents, Nathan Salisbury and Nancy (Gillet) Perkins, were both natives of the Empire State, where the father was engaged in agricultural pursuits, mercantile lines, milling operations and as a lumberman, having been one of the leading business men of the country until 1862, when he removed with is family to Houston county, Minnesota, and was drowned in the Root River there in 1867. The mother died in 1900 at the old home. They had six sons who grew to manhood, all of whom are yet living. Eugene G. Perkins was educated in the schools of Ulster county, N. Y., and Huston county, Minnesota. In 1864, when but sixteen years of age, he enlisted as a private in Company K, 11th Minnesota infantry, and served during the last year of the great Civil War. Two older brothers were also in the army. Norman Perkins enlisted in the 56th New York in 1861 and served for four years, and Edgar A. Perkins, served for three years in the 7th Minnesota. In 1866, Mr. Perkins entered the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad as a brakeman. About two and a half years later he was made conductor, and held that position for nearly twenty-five years, coming into his present position in 1892. Thus for over forty-one years he has been in the service of one of the greatest railroad systems on the continent, and the fact that he has been promoted to one of the responsible positions in that system is evident that he has the full confidence of the officials of the company. In 1871, he became a permanent resident of the city of La Crosse. Mr. Perkins is a consistent Republican in his political belief; has served as alderman and on the School Board of La Crosse and is always interested in every movement that has for its object the betterment of the city in which he lives. In social and benevolent societies he is prominent, being a thirty-second degree Mason; a member of Wilson Colwell Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and the La Crosse Club. He has been twice married. In 1871 he was united to Miss ALICE M. THOMPSON, daughter of Edward Thompson, of Hokah, Minn. She was born in Illinois and educated at Rockford in that State. She died in 1895, leaving two sons. George T. Perkins is a graduate of the United States Artillery at Fortress Monroe, Va. Under the operations of the Artillery Bill passed by the last session of Congress he became a captain, having previously held the rank of lieutenant. Willis D. Perkins, the other son, is in the electrical department of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, and is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin. On June 8th, 1904, Mr. Perkins married ALICE VIOLA WHELAND, of Lake City, Minn, and to this union has been born one son, Robert Calvert Perkins, born in La Crosse, Aug. 19th, 1905. Mrs. Perkins graduated in the high school in her native town and afterward attended the normal school at Winona, Minn. Mr. Perkins resides at 225 South Seventy Street.

Source: Memoirs of La Crosse County, Wisconsin; from the earliest historical times down to the present with special chapters on various subjects, including each of the different towns, and genealogical and biographical record of representative families in the county, prepared from data obtained from original sources of information.

[*See: Biographical Sketch of Nathan S. Perkins]

Oliver G. Winter, a farmer of Manchester Township, Jackson County, Wisconsin is a man of high standing in the community and unquestioned integrity of character. He was born in Franklin County, Maine, February 28, 1821, and is a son of Benjamin and Olive (Gray) Winter, natives of the State of Maine, where they passed all their lives. They were the parents of six children: John, Fannie, Oliver G., Elisha, Joseph and Harrison. Oliver G. was the third born child; he was reared in his native county to the occupation of a
farmer, and received his education in the public schools. In 1857, when the tide of emigration was still flowing steadily to the West, he determined to seek out a home in this new section of country, and accordingly set out on this mission; he came to Jackson County, and for several years was engaged in the lumber business, operating a saw mill a portion of the time. In 1871 he purchased his present farm, which consists of 120 acres, most of which is under cultivation; there are neat comfortable buildings, and barns and sheds for the care and protection of the live-stock and the storing of grain; all the surroundings give evidence of thrift and wise management. Mr. Winter is a stanch Republican, and enjoys the distinction of having been a delegate to the convention that organized the Republican party. August 12, 1854, the Democrats, Whigs, and a third party, had called conventions in the town of Strong, Franklin County, Maine; all were set for the same hour, and when they were convened each body appointed a man to consult with each other, and see if some union could not be effected. They finally agreed to unite and organize a new party; a vote was taken on this which was unanimous. After this, the question arose: "What name shall be given the new party ?" John H. Willard, of the town of Wilton, arose and moved that it should be called the Republican party; this motion was seconded and carried without dissent. Mr. Winter was a delegate to the Democratic convention, up to that time being a strong adherent to the principles of that body. However, upon the organization of the new party he cast his lot with it, and has ever since been a stanch supporter of its movements. It is indeed a pleasure to record the history of a man who has had so prominent apart in the political history of this country, and one who is so worthy in every way of the honor. In 1860 Mr. Winter was elected by the Republicans of
Jackson County as Clerk of the Circuit Court, serving one term with great credit to himself and the entire satisfaction of his constituency. Since that time he has held many of the local offices, and there is perhaps no other farmer in the community better posted on the leading issues of the day than is he. In church matters he fulfills his obligation to the utmost, being an active and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal society. April 21, 1845, is a day memorable in the history of our subject; he was then united in the holy bonds of marriage to Miss MARY L. PERKINS, of Weld, Franklin County, Maine. Mrs. Winter was born in York County, Maine, December 2,1823, and is a daughter of Jesse and Charlotte (Snowman) Perkins, natives of the State of Maine and life-long residents there. Mr. and Mrs. Winter had born to them two children: Alice E. and Fannie E. Alice E. was married, February 14, 1891, to Calvin H. Metcalf. Fannie E. is married to Lewis Mc Comber, and they have one child—Oliver. Mrs. Winter passed from this life September 28, 1884, leaving a large circle of friends to mourn with her bereaved family.

Source: Biographical history of Clark and Jackson counties, Wisconsin : containing personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. C H I C A G O : THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY - 1891.

[Read the biographical sketch of John Dodge]


Source: Biographical review of Dane county, Wisconsin: containing biographical ... By Biographical Review Publishing Company - [Page 508]

Lumbering in Wisconsin:

 HARDIN PERKINS.  The next effort at lumbering, as far as can be ascertained, was made in the year 1822, when a man by the name of Harden Perkins, from Kentucky, came to Prairie du Chien for the purpose of building a saw-mill in the Indian country, and obtained permission from Major Taliaferro, then agent for the Sioux Indians, with the consent of the Indians, to erect a saw-mill on their land on the Chippewa River and tributaries; but Perkins not having the capital to carry out his project, or sufficient influence to obtain the permission of the Indians to erect his saw-mill, solicited Joseph Rolette and J. H. Lockwood of Prairie du Chien to join him, which they did, and contracted with Wabashaw's band of Sioux, who claimed the Chippewa country, for the privilege of erecting a mill, and cutting timber for it, paying them about one thousand dollars per year in goods, and furnished Harden Perkins the necessary means for the purchase. He proceeded to the Menomonee River, and on a small stream running into that river, about twenty miles above its mouth, erected a saw-mill, and had it so near completed, that he expected to commence sawing in a very few days, when one of those sudden freshets to which hilly countries are subject came upon him, and swept away the dam, mill, and appendages; and Perkins returned to Prairie du Chien with his family and hands. Owing to ill-feeling manifested by Col. Snelling at Fort Snelling, against Mr. Perkins in his efforts to erected and carry on his mill, and a hostile feeling to Mr. Rolette entertained by the colonel, Mr. Harden Perkins concluded not to rebuild until he could be authorized by the authorities at Washington. In the year 1829 permission was received from the secretary of war to erect mills, &c., provided the consent of the Indians could be obtained. The contract with the Indians was renewed, and in May, 1830, a mill-wright, superintendent, and a proper force to build on the Chippewa River, were procured. The first site was selected on the Menomonee River, and a canal dug across a point of land from what is known as Wilson's Creek. The owners had much difficulty with some of their employees, and with the Indians, who were very troublesome. The mill was ready to commence in March, 1831, and, by the 1st of June following, had sawed about a hundred thousand feet of lumber.

Source: An illustrated history of the state of Wisconsin  - Charles Richard Tuttle b. 1848.

 ASA PERKINS, farmer, Section 19, P.O. Columbus; was born in the town of Ira, Cayuga Co., N.Y., in 1826, he was educated there in the common schools, and devoted his time to farming there till 1849, when he emigrated to Wisconsin, and entered a farm of 120 acres, on Sec. 19, town of Columbus, Columbia Co., WI, in June, having just 2 shillings left after paying the purchase money; he returned to New York in the following fall for the winter, and a year from that time, came again to Wisconsin, and located at Janesville, WI, where he worked by the month on a farm for two years, after which he made his home there most of the time for another year; he settled permanently on his farm in 1853, and has increased it to 166 acres. Mr. Perkins is one of the committee on the extension of the North-Western Railway from Granville to Lodi, WI, and has taken an active part in the enterprise; in 1870, he took a trip to California, thence via the coast to Portland, Oregon, and up the Columbia River to Waulula, and from there by stage to Walla Walla, Washington Territory, whence, after a fortnight's sojourn, he returned the same way to his home in Wisconsin. He was married, in 1853, to Miss SARAH C. GEORGE, daughter of Reuben and Nancy George, a native of Indiana, but an emigrant to Wisconsin with her father in 1847, her mother having previously died in Illinois; their children are: Mary A. Perkins, born in 1854, and married to Stephen B. Marvin in November, 1875, and now lives at Redwood, MN; Randall K. Perkins, born in 1856, and now at Redwood, MN; Francis F. Perkins, born in 1858, now at home; Charles M. Perkins, born in 1860, and Arthur R. Perkins, born in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are members of the M. E. Church.

Source: The history of Columbia county, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement .. (1880)

*He is most likely the brother of John E. Perkins (below)

 JOHN E. PERKINS, farmer, Sec. 24, P.O. Columbus, is the son of Francis and Alice (Kelly) Perkins; his father was born in Bennington Co., Vermont, and removed on foot to Cayuga Co., N.Y., which he afterward made his home; his mother was a native of Ireland, and came to Washington Co., New York, when only 7 years old. Mr. Perkins, or present subject, was born in Cayuga Co., N.Y., in 1830, and spent his time at farming there till 1852, when he came to Wisconsin and located on Sec. 24, town of Hampden, Columbia Co., in 1854, where he now owns 150 acres on Sect. 13 and 24. He has held the office of Town Treasurer one term. He was married in 1856, to Miss LAURA A. MORTON, daughter of Loyal and Rhoda Morton, a native of Franklin Co., New York; she died in Hampden, May 26th, 1879, leaving there children - Alice A. Perkins, Warren M. Perkins and Ellen G. Perkins.

Source: The history of Columbia county, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement .. (1880)

*He is most likely the brother of Asa Perkins (above)

 OTIS G. PERKINS, a retired farmer residing on section 13, Raymond Township, was born in Onondaga County, N.Y., Oct. 16th, 1816, and is of English descent. The ancestry can be traced back in direct line to Jacob Perkins, who was born in England in 1624, and when a lad of seven years crossed the Atlantic with his father to Boston. Two years later he removed to Agawam or Ipswich, Mass, and in course of time inherited his father's homestead upon which he continued to reside throughout life. He was chosen Sergeant of the Military Band of Ipswich, in 1664, and was ever afterwards known as Sergeant Perkins. About 1647 he married and afterward wedded a second wife, Mrs. Damaris Robinson, of Boston, widow of Nathaniel Robinson. His death occurred January 27th, 1699. His son, Joseph Perkins, who was born in Ipswich, MA, June 21st, 1674, removed to Norwich, Connecticut, in early life and there was married May 22nd, 1700, to Martha Morgan, daughter of Joseph and Dorothea Morgan. The lady was born in Preston, CT, in 1680, and died in Oct., 1754. With his brother Jabez Perkins, Joseph Perkins bought a tract of land of about one thousand acres for 70 pounds in the fork of the Quinebang and Shetucket Rivers, in the town of Norwich, CT, which land was in the possession of the family until between 1804 and 1820, and was known as the Perkins Notch. Deacon Perkins was a man of influence in his neighborhood and especially prominent in church work. The next in the line of direct descent was William Perkins, who was born in Norwich, CT, in 1722, and married Elizabeth Buck, who was born in 1725, and was the daughter of David and Elizabeth Buck, of Wethersfield, CT. They had four children. Daniel Buck Perkins, one of the number, was the grandfather of our subject. He was born in Norwich, CT, May 13th, 1760, and married Sallie Berchard, by whom he had six children. He is said to have been killed by lightning while riding through the woods. The family resided in Hartford, CT and Orange Counties, CT, and afterward in New York. Daniel Buck Perkins Jr., father of our subject, was born in Norwich, CT, June 18th, 1791, and grew to manhood upon a farm. When twelve years of age he removed to New York, where he spent the greater part of his life. Farming was his principal occupation, although he engaged in the lumber trade for awhile. In Onondaga County, NY, he met and married Miss Elizabeth Loomis, about 1813. She was probably born in Norwich, CT, about 1792, and her death occurred in 1856. Mr. Perkins died from the kick of a horse, July 18th, 1848. In their home were three sons and three daughters, the eldest of whom is Otis G. Perkins; Clarinda Perkins and Margaret Perkins are both residents of California; Fred B. Perkins is a carpenter, of Oshkosh, Wisconsin; F. L. Perkins makes his home in Alameda, California; and Celinda Perkins died in Racine Co., Wisconsin, in 1854. The parents were both members of the Presbyterian Church and took great interest in its work. Mr. Perkins was a great reader and kept well informed on all subjects of general interest, both political and otherwise. In politics he supported the Whig party. We now take up the personal history of our subject, the only representative of the family living in this county. During the winter season he attended the common schools and in the summer months worked upon the farm, his training in the latter line being more than in the former. He remained at home until about twenty-seven years of age, when, on the 15th of January 1845, he was united in marriage with JULIA A. BENVER, of Onondaga County, N.Y.. The following year they came West by way of the lakes to Racine County, WI and settled in Raymond Township, upon a farm which they occupied for two years, when, in 1848, Mr. Perkins purchased his present farm, then a timbered tract upon which not a tree had been cut, a furrow turned or other improvements made. Now one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land pay him a golden tribute for the care and cultivation bestowed upon it and his farm is accounted one of the best in the community. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have been born the following children - Francis M. Perkins, who was born June 21st, 1846, took a scientific course in Beloit College, wedded Mary A. James in Lawrence, KS; and is now a loan broker in that place; Mary Adelaide Perkins, who was born April 10th, 1851, is the wife of Homer R. Wheat, a farmer of Beloit, WI; Lucius H. Perkins, who was born March 5th, 1855, educated in Beloit, WI and married Clara L. Morris, was for two years engaged in the loan business in London, England, and is now general manager of a large business of that kind in Kansas. Mr. Perkins cast his Presidential vote for Martin Van Buren, supporting the Democratic party. He became one of the first Freesoilers and voted for Fremont and Lincoln, the first two Presidential candidates of the Republican party. He has been an influential member of the party and labored for its success but has never sought political preferment for himself. Socially he is an Odd Fellow. He began life in Racine County, WI with a cash capital of $250, but by perseverance, industry and good management has worked his way upward until he now has a fine competence which enables him to live a retired life. The best interests of the community he has had at heart and well does he deserve to be numbered among the honored pioneers of the county.

Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wisconsin

 ROBERT S. PERKINS, D.D.S., whose pleasant rooms are found in the Putney Block, Waukesha, located in the city in June, 1893. Dr. Perkins is a native of Wisconsin, born at New Lisbon, Juneau Co., WI, in 1867. His father, Sanford R. Perkins, now of Milwaukee, was an early settler of that county. The subject of this sketch moved to Palmyra, WI with his parents when but a child, and to Peoria, IL, when twelve years of age, where he attended the public schools. In 1888 he entered the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, from which he graduated in 1893. This, as will be seen, covers a period of about five years, but previous to his graduation and during an interval of about two years, he worked at his profession in the Haymarket Theatre Building, Chicago, IL, and later, returning to college, completed his course. Dr. Perkins was married in Peoria, IL, to Miss CLARA DEBORD, a native of that city and a daughter of Reuben Debord. They have two children, a son and a daughter, Harry Perkins and Hallie Perkins. Though one of the youngest of the dental profession of Waukesha County, WI, Dr. Perkins possesses both a theoretical and practical knowledge of his calling, qualities that have already won for him a successful business.

Source: Portrait and biographical record of Waukesha County, WI - 1894

Hon. GEORGE PERKINS. County Judge of Fond du Lac County, WI from 1877 to January, 1890, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born at Montrose, Susquehanna county, PA, May 8th, 1820. His parents were Francis and Rebecca Childs (Sherman) Perkins. His father was born at Groton, CT, on the Thames River, Connecticut. The family settled in Connecticut prior to the Revolutionary War, and took an active part in the struggle for independence. Six members of the family were killed at the capture of Ft. Griswold by the English under Benedict Arnold. Judge Perkins' mother was born in Vermont, and removed in childhood to Pennsylvania. Her family was originally from Rhode Island. Mr. Francis Perkins located in Susquehanna County, PA, in 1810, where he was married. He was a farmer by occupation in early life, later a trader in Ohio, going thence to Bourbon County, Kansas, where his death occurred in the spring of 1862, his wife having previously died in Carbondale, PA. There were four children in their family who grew to maturity, one sister dying in childhood: George Perkins, the subject of this sketch, was the eldest; Christopher S. Perkins, the next younger, married Eliza Hyde, is now a widower, and is a farmer by occupation, following that business in Susquehanna County, PA.; Ruth Ann Perkins is the wife of Joseph Morse, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Emma Perkins is the wife of Jedediah Bowen, of Ripon, WI. Our subject was educated at Susquehanna Academy, in his native town, and when about sixteen years of age he entered the office of the North Star and Freeman's Journal, published by Albert L. Post, of Montrose, PA, and learned the printer's trade, at which he worked for about four years. During that time, upon the advice of Mr. Post, he spent his leisure hours reading law, and later studied with Benjamin T. Case, decided to make that profession his life work, and was admitted to the bar in 1842. He began practice at Dundaff, in Susquehanna County, PA, and from there removed to Carbondale, Luzerne County, PA, where he engaged in the practice of his profession, taught school a few years, was Superintendent of Schools, and Prosecuting Attorney of the municipal court. After a residence of six years at Carbondale, he removed to Pittston, in the same county, where he was married November 15th, 1854, to Miss ABBIE PERKINS, daughter of Stephen and Eliza (Smith) Perkins, who then resided in Connecticut. Mrs. Perkins was born at Gales Ferry, on the Thames River, Connecticut. Three children were born of their union: Eleanor Perkins, the eldest, is the wife of Henry J. Genpheide, an attorney residing in Fond du Lac, WI; Eliza Perkins died at the age of two years; and Ruth Perkins at the age of three years. In 1855 Judge Perkins removed to Wisconsin, and located at Ripon, Fond du Lac County, WI; one year later he engaged in mercantile business at Brandon, WI , but returned to Ripon, WI in 1858, where he practiced his profession until the fall of 1864, except and interval of 100 days, which he spent in the service of the late war. In the spring of 1864 he enlisted in Company B, 41st Wisconsin Infantry, was commissioned Second Lieutenant of his company, and served the term of his enlistment. He participated in the engagement with the rebel general, Forest, at Nashville, Tennessee, in which the Confederate Cavalry was repulsed and driven out. In the fall of 1864, on his return from the war, Lieut. Perkins was elected District Attorney for Fond du Lac County, and removed to Fond du Lac city, where he has since resided. He was elected to the office of District Attorney, and served six years. He also served one year as City Comptroller, and in the fall of 1877, was elected County Judge, which office he has held continuously to this date, covering a period of twelve years. In politics Judge Perkins affiliated with the Republican party until the Greeley campaign of 1872, when he joined the Liberal Republicans, and since that campaign has acted and voted with the Democrats. March 19th, 1868, Mrs. Perkins died, while on a visit to her native State, and in June, 1870, the Judge was married at Windham, CT, to EMELINE H. LARRABEE, a daughter of Capt. Adam and Hannah G. (Lester) Larrabee. Mrs. Perkins was born in the town of Ledgard, CT. Her father was a graduate of West Point, and served in the War of 1812. He was commissioned Captain in the regular army, and was wounded at the battle of La Cole Mill, March 30th, 1814. Three children were born of the latter marriage, two sons and a daughter, George B. Perkins; Fannie G. Perkins and Jedediah Bowen Perkins. Mrs. Perkins is a member of the Congregational Church of Fond du Lac, WI. During his law practice, Judge Perkins has been associated in business with the following named gentlemen: In 1866 he formed a law partnership with Summer Brasted, which continued for two years under the firm name of Perkins  & Brasted: next he was in company with N. S. Gilson, the present circuit Judge, three years, under the style of Perkins & Glison; later he was with the Hon. Charles A. Eldridge and Judge J. Mayham, under the firm name of Eldridge, Mayham and Perkins. From 1873 until the time of his election as county Judge, he was alone in practice. Judge Perkins is a member of Fond du Lac Lodge No. 140, A. F. & A. M., and has been a member of the order since 1866. In all his relations with his fellow-men, the Judge has borne himself as an upright, honorable man, both in public and private life. His administration of the office of County Judge has been such as to win the respect and confidence of his constituents, who have kept him in the position for twelve consecutive years. As a lawyer, he is recognized as the peer of any in the Fond du Lac bar, with which he has been associated for a third of a century.

Source: Portrait and Biographical album of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin - (1889)
Also Read: Biographical Sketch - George Perkins - United States biographical dictionary and portrait gallery of eminent and self-made men; Wisconsin volume - (1877)


HON. GEORGE PERKINS, County Judge; was born at Montrose, Susquehanna Co., Penn,  May 8th, 1820, whence he removed to Luzerne Co., in that State, and to Ripon, WI, in 1855, the next hear he entered the mercantile business at Brandon, WI, but returned to Ripon, WI in 1858, where he practiced law until he enlisted in Co. B, 41st W. V. I. , in the spring of 1864, as Second Lieutenant; he was mustered out as such; he returned to Ripon, WI, and in 1864 was elected District Attorney; he then removed to Fond du Lac, WI where he has since resided, holding office of District Attorney for six years; City Comptroller one year, and County Judge since 1877. He was married in Connecticut to ABBY PERKINS, a native of that State, by whom he had three children -- Eleanor P. Perkins, now Mrs. H. J. Gerpheide, and two who are deceased. He was married a second time, June, 1870, at Windham, CT, to EMELINE LARRABEE, a native of that place; they have three children -- George B. Perkins, Fannie G. Perkins and Jed B. Perkins. While at Ripon, WI, Judge Perkins was City Clerk one term, and is now Trustee of the Fond du Lac Public Library.

Source: The History of Fond Du Lac County, Wisconsin -  By Western Historical Company - MDCCCLXXX

 ANSON WALKER PERKINS. One of the most reputable and successful of the younger business men of Kenosha, Wisconsin, is Anson Walker Perkins, who is now in the insurance business with offices in the United States National Bank building. Mr. Perkins is widely known, also, for his participation in the historic Byrd Antarctic Expedition, for which brilliant service he was awarded a gold Congressional Medal of Honor with certain others of that intrepid party. Mr. Perkins was born in Chillicothe, Missouri, January 18th, 1898, and is a son of Frederick and Esther W. (Walker) Perkins, both of whom were natives of Wisconsin, born in Walworth county and Racine county, respectively. The Perkins family is one of the oldest in the United States. The first of the name to come to American shored was John E. Perkins, who sailed the Atlantic from England in the year 1629, with the Winthrop colony, and settled in Connecticut. Frederick Perkins, grandfather of Anson W. Perkins, came from St. Lawrence Co., New York, to Wisconsin in 1852 and settled in Burlington, WI and built the old flour mill there, the woolen mill, and the road through the wilderness so that the farmers could bring their grain to his mill. Frederick Perkins, father of Anson W. Perkins, was reared in Burlington, WI, and as a young man clerked in a general store. He later engaged in business for himself, and also was a traveling salesman for the firm of Carson, Pirie & Scott, in which capacity he covered the states of Kansas and Missouri. In the year 1899, he came to Kenosha, WI and was in the grocery business in this city until his retirement in 1926, and he yet makes his home here. He and his wife are the parents of two children, Anson W. Perkins, whose name titles this biography, and Katherine Perkins, the latter married and a resident of Evanston, IL. In the grade and High schools of Kenosha, WI, Anson W. Perkins received his education, and then he spent a short interval on a Montana ranch. When the United States entered the World War in 1917, he enlisted in the First Wisconsin, having been one of the first volunteers to answer the call to the colors, and with this outfit he left the city. He was subsequently transferred to the One Hundred and Twentieth Field Artillery, Fifty-Seventh Brigade, and later was assigned to the Fifty-seventh Field Artillery, Brigade Headquarters of the Thirty-second (Red Arrow) Division. With this last named unit he served in France on three fronts and engaged in some of the most important and sanguinary actions overseas. He was mustered out of the military service in May, 1919. Having served his country most commendable, Mr. Perkins returned to the United States and entered the University of Wisconsin. He left this institution in 1921 for the purpose of establishing himself in the insurance business in Kenosha, WI. He was agent for the Northwestern Mutual Insurance Company until 1924, when he became the local representative for the New York Life Insurance Company. In the summer of 1928, Mr. Perkins became acquainted with the proposed Byrd expedition to Antarctica, and immediately the desire seized him to take part in this adventurous quest for scientific information. He lost no time in writing to Commander Richard E. Byrd, who had received about fifteen thousand similar requests from those wishing to join the expedition, and as there were places for only about thirty volunteers, the commander was compelled to turn down practically all of the applicants. Mr. Perkins, however, was not to be denied and forthwith boarded a train for New York city, where Commander Byrd was making preparations for the trip. He called upon the leader in person and first met with refusal but finally, with the assistance of Z. G. Z. Simmons, he convinced the commander that his services would be valuable and he was accepted. On the day following, he was placed in charge of a warehouse in Hoboken, New Jersey, where the supplies for the expedition were being assembled. Shortly afterward, the first ship of the expedition, the City of New York, sailed with Mr. Perkins on board as a sailor before the mast. After putting in at various ports en route, including romantic Tahiti, where the members of the party were royally entertained in typical South Seas manner, they arrived at Dunedin, in New Zealand. At this port, the City of New York was joined by the other ship of the expedition, the Eleanor Bolling, which was the chief ship. To this latter vessel, Mr. Perkins was transferred and placed in the position of quartermaster. Then, in December, 1928, which is springtime on the other side of the world, the two ships sailed for the Antarctic. Their difficult passage is well known to American readers; their struggle with the mammoth icepacks, in sub-zero temperature. The Eleanor Bolling opened the path ahead of the City of New York, to the Bay of Whales on the edge of the Antarctic continent. They could not approach land, as a solid sheet of ice thirty feet high extended for about four hundred miles out into the sea from the mainland, and blocked the way. The supplies of both ships were landed on the flat top of this tremendous ice formation by means of derricks and cranes operated from the ships. After five days of stevedore work at the edge of this ice barrier, the farthest south any United States ship had ever sailed, the Eleanor Bolling returned through the pounding ice-jams to New Zealand, Mr. Perkins accompanying her. Another cargo of supplies was taken aboard, the and return voyage to the ice barrier was begun. However, by the time the ship had reached the ice-fields, the southern winter had closed in and Commander Byrd, fearing his men could not break through at that season and that they would be lost, radioed his instructions for the Eleanor Boling to turn back on her course. Consequently, the ship was headed for Dunedin, with orders to winter at that port.  This change in plans was a great disappointment to the officers and crew of the Eleanor Bolling, including quartermaster Perkins, for they had anticipated the thrill of the long winter night in the snow-covered building of the Byrd group on the barrier. However, the situation was unavoidable. After lying in port for a time, the crew of the Eleanor Bolling found various ways of using the long hours. Mr. Perkins formed a friendship with the mayor of Dunedin, and the latter placed him on the city pay roll as a tax assessor. Soon afterward, however, he undertook work which suited his tastes better. The expedition had imported a large number of Alaskan huskies, the strong, hardy dogs for hauling the sledges. Their natures are such that they become sick and die unless they are exercised regularly in a temperature below zero. There were about fifteen of these interesting animals on the Eleanor Bolling. Mr. Perkins and a companion took these dogs, with a tent for shelter and started for the mountains, known as the Alps of New Zealand. They made camp and there spent the winter months, hauling timber with the dogs to a place high in the mountains, seven thousand feet above sea level, far above the timer-line. Here the New Zealand authorities desired to erect a shelter for the use of scientists and explorers, but had been prevented from doing so by the lack of transportation and money. Mr. Perkins and his party spent a most enjoyable winter doing this work, and at the same time kept the huskies in splendid condition. In the fall of 1929, Mr. Perkins was recalled to his ship at Dunedin, and again the party sailed for the Antarctic. As they approached the ice-pack, word came by wireless that Commander Byrd had decided to leave rather than stay for another winter. Consequently the Eleanor Bolling marked time until joined by her sister ship, after which both returned to New Zealand, and thence, by way of Tahiti, to the port of New York. The thrilling reception received at the home port by these courageous voyagers and the fine results of the expedition are matters of history and common knowledge. Mr. Perkins shared in the honors heaped upon the men, and felt, with them, the real gratification of having accomplished the purpose for which the expedition was planned. Congress later authorized a Medal of Honor, the first of any ever awarded to non-military expedition, and these were presented to members of the Byrd expedition. On one side of the medal are inscribed the following words: "Presented to the officers and men of the Byrd Antarctic Expedition to express the high admiration in which the congress and the American people hold their heroic and undaunted services in connection with the scientific investigations and extraordinary aerial exploration of the Antarctic continent." On the same side is a reproduction of the stanch little City of New York and the polar plane. On the reverse side is a figure of Admiral Byrd in polar attire, with the dates 1928 to 1930. The actual presentation of the medal was by Ernest Lee Jahncke, acting secretary of the navy, and accompanying the medal to Mr. Perkins was a personal letter from Admiral Byrd, which his quoted as follows:

   "My Dear Perk: It is with great delight that I present to you this Congressional Medal. You gave many months of your life towards making our expedition successful. Now that a year has passed since we have returned home I want you to know that my gratitude to you is as firm as ever - that throughout our lives, whatever may be our various fortunes, you will find that my appreciation will not grow less. The time that has elapsed has only increased the respect of our countrymen for our expedition. May the years ahead have the same effect. The expression of this respect is this medal which is knighthood that your grateful countrymen have conferred upon you -- the highest honor within their gif. This is a recognition that will carry your name on the pages of history. On the face of the medal there is mention of the expedition's material accomplishments, but what it represents in an ever deeper sense is that which been invisible, which cannot be described -- the spirit of our expedition. It is internal bitterness, caused by fame, ambition, money and jealousy which, after the return home, has destroyed the spirit of most past expeditions. You have not let these things touch you and so I congratulate you and am grateful to you in a double sense. It is often more difficult to keep our sense of balance and proportion in civilization than in the polar regions. It is my confident hope that this spirit will live as a bright page in history. In conclusion, I want to say that whenever you come my way you will receive a warm welcome and the hand of friendship. Your friend -- R. E. Byrd."

After the expedition party has disbanded and the members had gone their different ways, Mr. Perkins returned to Kenosha, WI to resume his connection with the New York Life Insurance Company. He is successful in his chosen field of endeavor, and holds an enviable position among the business men of Kenosha, WI. He takes an active part in the civic and political affairs of Kenosha, WI and gives his unqualified support to all measures for the benefit of the community. He is a member of the First Congregational Church, and he belongs to the Chamber of Commerce; the Rotary Club; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; the Thirty-second Division Association; the Kenosha High School Association of which he is past president; and to the nation social fraternity Phi Kappa Psi.

Source: Southeastern Wisconsin, a history of old Milwaukee ... v.4. By: John G. Gregory, John Goadby  

 A. J. (Albert J.) PERKINS, real estate dealer, Medford, was born in Windsor Co., Vermont, Dec. 27, 1830. He came to Wisconsin in 1853, stopping in Jefferson Co., where he taught school; later he worked as carpenter and joiner; he was at one time foreman of the Wisconsin Manufacturing Company; in 1874. he was elected County Clerk; was re-elected in 1876; moved to Medford, Taylor Co., WI in 1878; he owns a farm of eighty acres, having cleared forty; he has a grocery which is managed by his only son, Frank M. Perkins. In 1859 he was married to Miss CHARLOTTE M. WINTERLING, of Germany; he belongs to the I.O.O.F. and the Masons.

Source: History of Northern WI (1881)

Also See.......

PERKINS, ALBERT JOSEPH, a prominent business man of Medford, was born in Windsor county, Vt., December 27th, 1830. His parents, Joseph and Sarah (Jackman) Perkins, were of the substantial agricultural class and in good financial circumstances.
A. J. Perkins received his education in the common district schools of his native town, and, in 1853, came to Wisconsin, settling in Jefferson county. He began teaching school, when seventeen years of age, and continued teaching through thirteen winters. His summers in the meantime were spent in learning and working at the trade of carpenter. In 1859 he was elected superintendent of schools of the township of Jefferson and held the office one year with great satisfaction to the people. He was elected on the Republican ticket, though the township was strongly Democratic. Removing to Waupaca county, he was engaged from 1865 to 1874 in running a large saw mill on the Little Wolf river for the Wisconsin Lumber company. He was elected chairman of the town of Mukwa in 1870 and re-elected in 1871. Active, intelligent, faithful and efficient in whatever he undertook, his services were in requisition in many directions, and in 1874 he was elected county clerk of Waupaca county, and re-elected for a second term of two years. In 1878 he move to Medford, Taylor county, and engaged in the real estate and abstract business, which he continued until 1884, when he was elected county clerk of Taylor county, and re- elected two years later. At about the expiration of his second term of office, he and his son engaged in the flour and feed business, erecting the first and the only flouring mill in the city, and this business, which has grown to large proportions, they are still conducting. He was the first major of Medford, having been elected in April, 1889, and re- elected in 1890.

Mr. Perkins is the owner of a considerable amount of land in and around the city of Medford, some of which has been platted ad sold for city lots. He has been land agent for the Wisconsin Central Railroad company for the past sixteen years.

Mr. Perkins was not in the military service during the war, owing to physical disability, but he heartily supported the government both financially and morally in its struggle with the rebellion. He has always been a Republican in politics, and, in 1892, was elected a member of the assembly from the district composed of Oneida, Price, Taylor and Vilas counties, by a majority of eighty-two in a Democratic district. The same year Cleveland, for president, carried the district by four hundred. He refused a second legislative term. In religion he is a Universalist.

Mr. Perkins was married December 26th, 1850, to CHARLOTTE M. WINTERLING, daughter of Nicholas Winterling of Jefferson, Wis., and they have one son, Frank M. Perkins.

Source: Men of Progress. Wisconsin. A selected list of biographical sketches and portraits of the leaders in business, professional and official life. Together with short notes on the history and character of Wisconsin.

EDWARD M. PERKINS, farmer, section 3, Town 30, P.O. Peshtigo, WI, was born (ca. 1830) in Tioga Co., PA. Came to Peshtigo, WI in 1867, and started the first livery stable in the town of Peshtigo, WI. In the fire of 1871, he lost all he had; then moved to DePere, WI, and was engaged in the restaurant business for two years; then he returned to Peshtigo, WI, bought a farm, and has continued farming since. Was married, in 1856, to LEONORA MAY. She was born in New York State. They have four children -- Genevieve A. Perkins, Charles A. Perkins, Georgiana C. Perkins and Mark S. Perkins. Georgiana Perkins married Charles Seymour, March 30th, 1879. He was born in Michigan, and came to Peshtigo, WI with his parents when young. Is a carpenter by trade, and has built quite a number of good houses, among which is the Methodist Episcopal Church building. He enlisted March 24th, 1864, and served till the close of the war, and has been engaged for three Winters by the Peshtigo Company, as foreman at their lumber camps. They have one child, Leonora Seymour.

Source: History of Northern WI (1881)

 CHARLES EDGAR PERKINS, County Clerk and Abstracter of Trempealeau Co., WI, resident Arcadia, WI, was born in Hartland, VT, July 21st, 1821; here he received a common school education, and afterward taught in Lamoille Co., VT and then commenced reading law in the office of the Hon. Luke P. Poland, of Morrisville, VT; he was married April 2nd, 1848, to MARY B. STEARNS, at Johnston, VT, and in 1856 came with his family to Galesville, Trempealeau Co., WI, where he made his home until 1877; he was here elected Register of Deeds in 1858, 1862 and 1864, holding that office six years; was also, Justice of the Peace from 1858 to 1868, and in 1871 was appointed Clerk of Circuit Court, continuing for four years, during which time he made an abstract of title of the county of Trempealeau, WI; he was elected County Judge in 1874, occupying that position until January of 1881, and in Nov. 1880, was elected to his present office. Their family consists of five children; the oldest, Laura Ann Perkins, was born in Lowell, MA, in 1849, and his now the wife of H. R. Gale, editor of the Republican-Gazette at Willmar, MN; the next two children, George Henry Perkins and Isabel Luceretia Perkins, were born in Morrisville, VT, the former in 1851, the latter in 1853; George H. Perkins has been register of Deeds in Jackson Co., four years, and Isabel L. Perkins is now the wife of S. A. Walker, the two last children were born in Galesville, WI, in 1858 and 1867, and are named respectively Hattie Maria Perkins and Merton Nathan Perkins.

Source: History of Northern WI (1881)

**1850 Morristown, Lamoille Co., VT Census**

Nathan & Mary (Unknown) Perkins
Charles Perkins b. ca. 1821/1822 VT

 A. T. (Alexander T.) PERKINS,
of the firm Perkins & Clement, proprietors of the Fond du Lac Spring Wagon Co., was born at Delta Mills, Jefferson Co., N.Y., in 1839; came to Fond du Lac Co., WI in 1856, and clerked in a grocery store for two years; he then went into the bakery and confectionery business under the  name of Perkins & Morrison, which continued for three years, when he bought out Mr. Morrison and continued the business alone until 1865, disposing of his bakery business, he next ran a transfer line in the city till 1874, he then became a member of the present firm. In 1862, he married Miss LIZZIE DEWROSE, daughter of Charles Dewrose, a farmer of Omro, Winnebago Co., WI; she died in 1864, leaving one son, Charles Perkins. Oct. 15th, 1868, he married Miss JEMIMA LEWIS, daughter of William Lewis, molder, of Oshkosh, WI; they have one child, Hattie Perkins. Mr. Perkins has been a mason since 1864. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church.

Source: The History of Fond Du Lac County, Wisconsin -  By Western Historical Company - MDCCCLXXX

**1850 Rutland, Jefferson Co., NY Census*

Elcy Perkins (female) b.1800 Canada
Alexander Perkins b.1839 Canada

**1860 Fond Du Lac Co., Wisconsin Census**

Elsa Perkins (female) b.1800 Canada
Betsey Perkins b.1829 Canada
Alexander Perkins b.1839 Canada

 PHILLIP HENRY PERKINS, born at Kennebunkport, York County Maine, Jan. 12th, 1854. Fitted in the common schools of his native town and at Malden, MA, and entered Cornell Univ. in 1871, graduating there from in 1873 with the degree of B. C. E. Then took two years of graduate work in history and political science at Cornell, receiving the degree of M. S. , in 1877. The following year he read law at Jefferson, Wisconsin, and then taught in the Jefferson schools until 1879, when he came to Madison, WI and taught in the high school for two years. While teaching he prosecuted the study of law, and graduated from the U. W. Law School in 1882. During the summer and fall of that year he traveled in Europe, and upon his return again taught in the Madison high school for a year. After that, Mr. Perkins practiced law in partnership with Charles E. Buell (U. W., '78), from 1883-87, when he removed to West Superior, where he has since resided. He was village attorney there from 1888-89, and city attorney from 1892-93. Since 1890 Mr. Perkins has been a United States commissioner; in 1893, was elected president of the Superior public library board; and was president of the board of education from 1894-96. In 1890, he married Miss KITTIE M. BRIGGS, of Madison.

*He was a son of William & Harriet (Starrett) Perkins of Kennebunkport, ME - Source: The Mount Desert widow : genealogy of the Gamble family of Maine from the first landing on the coast of Mount Desert down to the present day, forming part of more than one hundred families in Maine from the first landing on the coast of Mount Desert down to the present day forming part of more than one hundred families in Maine by Greenleaf & Jonathan P. Cilley (1895)

Source: The University of Wisconsin; Its History and its Alumni - 1836-1900 - By: Reuben G. Thwaites (1900)

                                                                                                                                                        USE THE SEARCH ENGINE TO SEARCH THIS WEBSITE


   Search this site                 powered by FreeFind


 Site design by Perkins Research ©