PERKINS FAMILY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES BY STATE
Perkins Research Missouri Biographical Sketches
Rev. J. C. PERKINS, is a native of Shelby County, Kentucky. He was born September 30th, 1831. He came with his parents to this state (Missouri) when about two years old, and settled in St. Francois County, Missouri, where he was brought up. When about twenty-two years of age, he professed faith in Christ, and was baptized into the fellowship of the Colony Baptist Church by the beloved Wm. Polk. By the order of the same church, he was first ordained to the office of deacon; and sometime after to the full work of the Gospel ministry. He has since been a faithful helper among the churches of the good old Bethel Association. He resides on a farm a few miles east of Farmington, and is lived and respected for his zealous, but meek and quiet life.
Source: Historical sketches of the Baptists of Southeast Missouri (1888)
JOSEPH DUDLEY PERKINS, lawyer and jurist, was born in 1853, two miles north of Farmington, in St. Francis Co., MO. His parents were Isaac Hardin and Nancy Elizabeth Perkins, whose married life extended over a period of more than fifty years, and who celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1896. The founders of the Perkins family in America came to this country from England early in the seventeenth century, and the branch of the family to which Judge Perkins belongs, settled in Virginia. His great-grandfather, whose name was John Perkins, resided in either Buckingham or Albemarle County, and served in the American Army during the War of the Revolution. He was prominent also as a Freemason. The grandfather of Judge Perkins, whose name he bears, (Joseph Perkins) was born and reared in Virginia and there married Mary Faucee. About the year 1820 they removed to Shelby County, Kentucky, remaining there until the year 1837, when they came to St. Francis County, Missouri. There the head of the family died in 1874, at the advanced age of ninety-one years. His son, ISAAC H. PERKINS, was born in Buckingham Co., Virginia, in 1819, was taken to Kentucky when he was one year old, and was eighteen years old when the family came to Missouri. He married, in 1847, NANCY ELIZABETH HORN, who was born and reared in Ste. Genevieve Co., MO. Their family consisted of four sons, the eldest of whom is dead. The survivors are Judge Perkins and two younger brothers. In his boyhood, Judge Perkins worked on a farm in summer and went to a district school in St. Francois County during the winter months of each year. When he was approaching manhood he attended for a time what was known as Elmwood Academy, at Farmington, boarding at home and riding to and from school on horseback. Later he taught country schools during several terms, and for a few months was assistant to the agent of the St. Louis & Iron Mountain Railroad Company at Iron Mountain. In the fall of 1875 he began reading law, and the fall of 1876 suspended his law studies long enough to assist his uncle, Jasper Horn, county assessor of St. Francois Co., MO, in making the assessment for that year, and preparing the assessor's books. He then resumed the study of law in the office of F. M. Carter, of Farmington, and in November of 1877, was admitted to the bar, his examination taking place in the courtroom at the old town of Ste. Genevieve. At the beginning of the year 1878 he began the practice of his profession in Fredericktown, Missouri, and was a leading member of the bar at that place until 1883, when he removed to Carthage, Missouri, which has since been his home. At Carthage he practiced continuously and successfully until 1896, when he was elected judge of the Twenty-fifty Judicial District of Missouri. The first office which he held was that of county school commissioner of St. Francois County, to which he was elected in April of 1876, and which he filled until the following winter, when he resigned to begin the practice of law. He was elected prosecuting attorney of Madison County, MO in 1878, and was re-elected in 1880. In 1887 he was elected city attorney of Carthage, and held that office for one year. In 1896 he was elected to the circuit judgeship to fill out an unexpired term of two years, and was re-elected to this office in 1898 for a full term of six years. both as lawyer and judge he has occupied an enviable position, and stands high among the members of his profession and in the esteem of the general public. His political affiliations are with the Democratic party. May 5th, 1897, he married Miss MYNTA MAE MILLER, of Carthage, Missouri, and one child, Leland Dudley Perkins, has been born of this union.
Source: History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, Missouri -published 1889
WILLIAM H. PERKINS (Judge). Examples that impress force of character on all who study them are worthy of record in the annals of history wherever they are found. By a few general observations the biographer hopes to convey in the following paragraphs, succinctly and yet without fulsome encomium, some idea of the high standing of William H. Perkins, ex-judge of the Greene county court, as a leading agriculturist and stockman, one of the representative citizens of the county and a public benefactor. Those who know him best will readily acquiesce in the statement that many elements of a solid and practical nature are united in his composition and which, during a series of years, have brought him into prominent notice at least throughout the western portion of the county, his life and achievements earning for him a conspicuous place among his compeers. Judge Perkins was born on a farm in Brookline township, Greene county, Missouri, February 18, 1850, and is a scion of one of our pioneer families, being a son of William G. and Martha A. (Beal) Perkins. The father was a native of Logan county, Kentucky, where he was reared. When a young man he came to Greene county, Missouri, and entered two tracts of land from the government, the first in 1848 and the last in 1851. These he developed by hard work and became a successful farmer and business man. Both these tracts of land, now very valuable and comprising as fine farming land as the vicinity affords, have remained in the family, being now owned by the subject of this sketch. The father was known as "Grief" Perkins, his middle name being used instead of his first name. He was an influential man in his community, especially in the affairs of the Presbyterian church, in which he was an elder for many years, being the founder of the church of this denomination in this community. He had two brothers and two sisters, all now deceased but Mrs. Hayden, who lives in Texas. The death of William G. Perkins occurred in 1908 at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. He was known to all as a man of fine personal character, a "gentleman of the old school" who never was known to neglect his duties as a neighbor or citizen. His faithful life companion, a woman of beautiful old-time Christian faith, survived him only six weeks, passing away at the age, of eighty-one years. She was a native of Tennessee, and when young in years accompanied a party of emigrants from that state to the Ozark mountain country. They reached a certain stream, since known as "Turnback" creek, from the fact that here this party of home seekers turned back on their route. They finally located on Wilson's creek, which stream was destined to become famous in history. Here Mrs. Perkins's father, Daniel Beal, entered land from the government, which he developed into a good farm, which remained in possession of the family until recently, when our subject turned the patents over to purchasers. This place lies some four miles west of Springfield. There Mr. Beal spent the rest of his life. He was an energetic man, and was active as a member of the Baptist church. Judge Perkins is the second of nine children, all born in Greene county, where the parents were married; they were named as follows: Mrs. Mary O. (Perkins) Norman, a widow, is living eight miles southwest of Springfield; William H. Perkins, of this review; Mrs. Nannie (Perkins) Crenshaw, a widow, lives nine miles south of Springfield; John T. Perkins is farming in Oklahoma; Laura Perkins is the wife of Rev. W. H. Wilson, now residing in Oklahoma; Mrs. Minerva (Perkins) Dillard lives nine miles east of Springfield; Mrs. Lucy (Perkins) Hutchinson, Mrs. Jennie (Perkins) Stephens and Daniel Perkins are all three deceased. Judge Perkins was reared on the old homestead, where he did his full share of the work when growing to manhood, and in that neighborhood he received a common school education, which has been greatly supplemented in after years by contact with the world and wide home reading. Early in life he turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits which he followed successfully and continuously up to a few years ago. He paid especial attention to the live stock business, and no small portion of his comfortable competency was derived from this source. Growing up among stock and having a liking for them he became an exceptionally good judge of all kinds. He still owns a part of the old home place, but now lives in Springfield, where he removed in 1909. A stanch Democrat, Judge Perkins always took an abiding interest in political affairs, and in the fall of 1910 he was elected county judge and presided at the sessions of the Greene county court in a manner that stamped him as a man of ability, far-seeing, impartial and having the best interests of the county at heart, unbiased in his efforts to benefit the general public, and his course has been entirely satisfactory to his constituents. Religiously, he is a member of the Presbyterian church. Judge Perkins was married in Greene county, in the year 1873, to MARTHA J. ELLISON, a daughter of John Ellison, an early settler in this county, and here he became a successful farmer. Mrs. Perkins was born here in 1853 and reared and educated in her native community. She proved to be an excellent helpmate, sympathetic, kind and industrious. Her death occurred in February, 1909 at the age of fifty-six years. Her only brother also died a few years ago. Three children were born to our subject and wife, named as follows: Clarence Perkins, now forty years old, is farming in the state of Louisiana; Bessie Perkins is the wife of George Langston, at present postmaster at Texhoma, in western Oklahoma, where he has a ranch, and they have one son, Maurice Langston, now six years old; Eunice Perkins, youngest of the trio, is living with her father in Springfield. The Judge was always a man who made friends easily, and after his career on the bench began they rapidly multiplied, and all who know him will agree that he is deserving of the respect in which he is so widely held.
Source: Past and Present of Green Co., MO - Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records of may of the Representative Citizens - 1915
REUBEN H. PERKINS was born in North Carolina, in 1849, where his father was also born, coming from there to Missouri in 1858, and locating in the northern part of this county, where he purchased a home for his family, the same upon which he died in 1879. His wife's name was JEMIMA CLINE. They had six children, five living: Julius F. Perkins; William F. Perkins; Reuben H. Perkins; Harriet E. Perkins and John H. Perkins. Reuben H. Perkins married, in 1872, his first wife: MARY E. WHITENER, and had one child. His second wife was Miss CATHERINE SKAGGS, whom he married in 1876, and by this union there were five children, four living: Jemima E. Perkins; John T. Perkins, William H. Perkins and Adolphus F. Perkins. He lost his second wife in 1882. He then married Mrs. NANCY J. CONNER, by whom he has two children, Sarah L. Perkins and Willoughby C. Perkins. In 1876 he purchased his present home, on Asker Creek, a small farm of ninety-one acres. It is good bottom land, with about thirty-five acres in cultivation. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance. His wife is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
Source: History of southeast Missouri. Embracing an historical account of the counties of Ste. Genevieve, St. Francois, Perry, Cape Girardeau, Bollinger, Madison, New Madrid, Pemiscot, Dunklin, Scott, Mississippi, Stoddard, Butler, Wayne and Iron. 1888
LUTHER R. PERKINS, M.D., physician and surgeon; also druggist, Shannondale, MO. Dr. Perkins, a thoroughly educated and experienced physician of the southern part of Chariton co, MO, is a native of the Old Dominion, but was reared in Howard Co., MO, his parents, David and Susannah (Ware) Perkins, having removed to this State and settled in that county when the son was but six years of age. His father and mother were both born and reared in Virginia, his father born in 1803 and his mother in 1807. They were married in 1825, and came to Howard Co., MO in 1838. They lived in that county for nineteen years, and in 1857 removed to Chariton, MO where the father died in March, 1873. They had a family of eleven children: Ann Perkins; James Perkins; William Perkins; Luther Perkins; Mary Perkins; Sarah Perkins; Virginia Perkins; Maria Perkins; Robert Perkins, and Andrew Jackson Perkins. Of these the Doctor was fourth, was born in Virginia in Jan., 1832. After the removal of his parents to Howard Co., MO, he was given an excellent education in the schools of Glasgow, MO and before he reached the age of majority he began the study of medicine. In due time he entered the Medical College of Richmond, Virginia, and took a regular and thorough course at that institution, graduating with marked honor in 1854. Immediately following his graduation he returned to Missouri and engaged in the practice of his profession in Chariton county, which he has ever since followed. His drug business he established in 1882, and in this, as in his practice, he has met with excellent success. In 1856 Dr. Perkins was married to Miss MARY E. CARSON, daughter of James Carson, of Glasgow, Missouri. One of the most eloquent testimonies of his skill and ability as a physician is afforded by the remarkable fact that in his own family he has reared ten children without the lost of one: Virginia Perkins; Bettie Perkins; David Perkins; Rachel Perkins; Julia Perkins; Harvey Perkins; Ella Perkins; Graves Perkins; Russell Perkins and Martha Perkins. But his reputation as a capable and successful practitioner is so well and widely known, that to refer to proofs is supererogatory. In this particular, as in others, he stands as high as any one in this section of the country.
Source: History of Howard and Chariton Counties, Missouri, written and complied from the most official authentic and private sources, etc.. St. Louis: National Historical Company - 1883
GEORGE F. PERKINS, a Civil War veteran, of Ridgeway, Missouri, who for many years was engaged in contracting and building is now living retired. He was born in Belmont Co., Ohio, December 25th, 1847, and is the son of Louis and Lucinda (Forest) Perkins, the former a native of Boston, Massachusetts, and the latter of Guernsey Co., Ohio. The father was a carpenter and died Aug. 5th, 1864, and the mother survived him many years. She died in Ridgeway, Missouri, in 1913. They were the parents of the following children: Jennings Perkins, died at Parsons, Kansas, in 1911, John A. Perkins died in California, in 1918; Mary Perkins died at Ridgeway, MO, in 1917; Minerva Perkins resides at Ridgeway, MO; and George F. Perkins the subject of this sketch. George F. Perkins was educated in the public schools of Illinois, where his parents had located when he was young. When the Civil War broke out, he was to young for military services. However, he enlisted in the Union army, Dec. 28th, 1864, and served until after the close of the war and received his honorable discharge, Sept. 13th, 1865. Mr. Perkins began life as a bridge builder and later worked at the carpenter trade. When he came to Harrison Co., MO, he settled on a farm of forty acres where he remained for eight years. He then removed to Ridgeway, MO, where he has had a six acre tract of land. He has been interested in contracting and building all his life but for the past six years has been living practically retired. Mr. Perkins was married March 12th, 1868, to MARGARET HENRY, and to this union has been born the following children: Emma I. Perkins married Rufus Hopkins and they live in Montana; Albert Perkins, a Spanish-American War veteran, who is now engaged in the real estate business at Akron, Ohio; Josephine Perkins married Dr. W. E. Merrihew, D.D., and they now live in Nebraska; William L. Perkins, a civil engineer and architect, of Chariton, Iowa, married Jessie Yeater. Mr. Perkins is a member of the Masonic Lodge and has been clerk of the Ridgeway Lodge for twelve years. He is a Republican and served as township collector for ten years and was census taker of Grant township in 1900. Mrs. Perkins is a Democrat. They are members of the Methodist Church.
Source: History of Harrison County, Missouri (1921)- By: George W. Wanamaker (1846-1921) - Topeka Historical Publication Co.
MAJOR JOHN B. PERKINS, P.O. Marshall, MO. Son of Jacob and Elenor A. Perkins; his father being from Baltimore, Maryland, and his mother from Pennsylvania. John B. Perkins was born in Lexington, Holmes Co., Mississippi, Nov. 1st, 1839. In 1849 he moved with his parents to Memphis, TN, where he was raised, and was educated by a private tutor. In 1858 he engaged in the drug business, in Des Arc., Arkansas, where he remained until the beginning of the war, then joined the southern army, and was elected major of the Fifty-Fourth regiment, Arkansas state troops. Was afterward transferred to the Confederate service. Was in the battles of Neosho, Carthage, Oak Hill, Corinth, and Tupelo. In 1863, was taken sick and sent to Mobile. He was then transferred to the quartermaster's department west of the river, and served there to the end of the war. After the war he came to this county, and remained here until 1867, when he returned to Memphis, Tennessee, and engaged there in mercantile business for three years. In 1870 he came back to Saline Co., MO, and engaged in merchandising at Arrow Rock, and also in the study of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1876, and practiced in Arrow Rock, MO until 1879, when he was appointed deputy county clerk, under W. S. Jackson, where he remained until Col. Jackson's death, July, 1880, when he was appointed county clerk until the next general election. On the 11th of August, 1863, he was married to Miss ANNIE E. JACKSON, daughter of Gov. C. F. Jackson, of Missouri, and has three children: Pearla Perkins, William Claiborne Perkins, and Henry Marmaduke Perkins.
Source: History of Saline Co., Missouri, Carefully written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources, Including a History of its Townships, Cities, Towns and Villages, ... St. Louis, Missouri Historical Company - 1881.
JOSEPH RUSSELL PERKINS, wholesale lumberman, born Brookhaven, Mass. Oct. 24th, 1863; son of John R. and Mary A. Perkins; educated in public schools of Brookhaven, Mass, married, St. Louis, MO, June 24th, 1895, SALLIE D. WILSON, of Dun Quoin, Ill. Was formerly engaged in the banking business, and cashier of the First National Bank, of DeQuoin, Ill, until Jan. 1900, when came to St. Louis and established in the lumber business under present style of J. R. Perkins Lumber Co., in which has ever since continued, doing a wholesale business, and being interested in saw-mills in Arkansas, Democrat. Methodist, Mason. Favorite recreation: Baseball. Office: 400 Fullerton Bldg. Residence: 3826 Yoder Ave.
Source: The Book of St. Louisans - A Biographical Dictionary of leading living men of the city of St. Louis, Missouri - By: John W. Leonard - St. Louis - The St. Louis Republic - 1906
HENRY CLAY PERKINS, business college principal, born in Crafton, PA, July 22nd, 1857; son of William and Catherine Perkins; educated in public schools near Crafton, PA, and at Pittsburg, PA, and Select Academy Leechburg, PA; graduated from Duff's Mercantile College, Pittsburg, PA, 1877, and from Perry School of Oratory and Dramatic Aft, 1895; married 1st SARAH O'NEAL, 1885, 2nd St. Louis, MO July 17th, 1901. IDORA V. SHARP, children, Elmer W. Perkins, Harry H. Perkins, Jennie L. Perkins. With partner, Philip J. Herpel, established, Aug. 1st, 1882, the Perkins & Herpel Business College, in Oak Hall Building, 4th St., and Washington Ave.; removed to Lincoln Trust Building, 1899, and to present quarters, in the Dolph Building, April 30th, 1904. Republican. Member Cote Brilliante Presbyterian Church, Member Mt. Moriah Lodge, No. 40 and Oriental Chapter No. 78, A. F. & A. M., and Chevalier Council, No. 1089, Royal Areanum, Recreations: canoeing, baseball, fishing and hunting. Office: Dolph Bldg., 7th and Locust Streets. Residence: 1701 Marcus Ave.
Source: The Book of St. Louisans - A Biographical Dictionary of leading living men of the city of St. Louis, Missouri - By: John W. Leonard - St. Louis - The St. Louis Republic - 1906
CLARENCE M. PERKINS, president St. Louis Silver Co., born Bridgewater, Mass. Aug. 3rd, 1858; son of James and Susan (Lee) Perkins, educated in public schools and State Normal School at Bridgewater, Mass; married, Evanston, Illinois, July 1st, 1885, ELLEN C. HOLTON; children: Enid Perkins, Ellen Perkins, Earl Perkins. Came to St. Louis, MO from Massachusetts in 1879, and was salesman with Pelton Bros. silver plated ware, until 1893, when organized the St. Louis Silver Co., silver plated ware of which has since been president. Congregationalist. Club: Union Office: 114-118 Chestnut St. - Residence: 3643 Blaine St.
Source: The Book of St. Louisans - A Biographical Dictionary of leading living men of the city of St. Louis, Missouri - By: John W. Leonard - St. Louis - The St. Louis Republic - 1906
C.C. PERKINS, farmer and stock raiser, section 21, post office Plattsburg, MO, is a native of Madison Co., KY, and was born on the 16th day of March, 1831, on a farm. He received a common school education, and in 1839, with his parents, he moved to Clay County, Missouri, locating near Liberty, MO. He subsequently moved to this county and soon commenced giving his whole attention to farming and the raising of stock. In 1855, he crossed the plains to Denver, occupying the position of bull-wacker, and returned the following fall. He was united in marriage in 1865 to Miss ETHA HICKMAN, a native of Kentucky, born May 18th, 1844. They have five children: Pearle Perkins; Josephine Perkins; J. J. Perkins; Archibald Perkins, and Mary Perkins. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are both members of the Christian Church.
Source: The History of Clinton County, Missouri: Containing A History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, Etc.... - St. Joseph, MO - National Historical Company - 1881
W. W. PERKINS, Attorney, was born in Rushville, Schuyler Co., ILL, December 11th, 1841. William Perkins, the father of W. W. Perkins, was a practitioner and a member of the Schuyler Co., ILL bar, it being the most noted bar of the state of Illinois. Being a prominent member of the Old School Presbyterian church, at the beginning of W. W. Perkins boyhood days, he gave up the practice of law and chose to profession of the ministry, studying theology under the tutorship of Lyman Beecher, of Cincinnati, the father of Henry Ward Beecher. After preaching over the States of Indiana and Illinois, he returned to Ohio. Having been a strong anti-slavery man he left the Old School Presbyterian and entered the Free Presbyterian church, and was appointed editor of their organ and located in Cincinnati, previous to his having resided in Ripley, Ohio. The subject of this sketch was educated in the common schools, and from 1857 to 1860 he attended the Farmer's College at College Hill, teaching school for a short time, and also reading for his chose profession. In the fall of 1860 he returned to Illinois, and in the spring of 1861 entered the pay department in the late war and remained on duty till peace was declared, being part of the time engaged by the express company. Then returned to La Salle Co., ILL, his father at that time being the editor and proprietor of the Ottawa Republican. Then pursued the study of law and was admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois in August, 1865. In 1867 he moved to Chicago, Ill, where he was engaged in the practice of his profession with great success, holding the office of attorney for the Board of Education two terms. He had the misfortune to pass through the Chicago fire, which deprived him of all his earnings, except such matter as was saved by being lodged in his safe, although showing the effects of the intense heat from without, proven by the melting of government seals and scorching of paper, which the writer examined. On account of the failing health of his wife, he was compelled to seek a more genial climate, and in 1879 he moved to Windfield, Cawley Co., Kansas. In October, 1880, he located in Kansas City and is now considered one of the prominent attorneys of the city. Was married to Miss BELL PARRY, of Liverpool, England, April 13th, 1870. They have one child, Charles E. Perkins, born March 31st, 1871.
Source: The History of Jackson county, Missouri, containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., biographical sketches of its citizens, Jackson county in the late war... history of Missouri, map of Jackson county .. (1881)
HENRY W. PERKINS, cashier of the Farmer's and Mechanics Bank of Troy, Lincoln Co., MO, is the son of Walton and Louisiana (Green) Perkins. The father was born in Lincoln Co., N.C., November 26th, 1807, and when eleven years of age came to this county with his parents, who settled about two miles south of Troy, MO, where they purchased a tract of land from the government. To make a payment on this, young Walton Perkins was sent to St. Louis, MO with the money sewed in his jacket pocket. This thirteen year old boy made the trip, paid over the money and returned, a triumph of boyhood!. He remained on the farm until seventeen years of age, when he came to Troy and learned the tanner's trade under "Boss" Wing, with whom he remained until the last day of his minority. As he put aside this apron, at the close of the first day, he whispered to it confidentially, earnestly "Now lie there!". With a capital of $63.00 he purchased a horse, and stared for the lead mines of Galena, IL, where he arrived with a lone dollar in his pocket. He mined a while with will success, then sold his horse and came on a flat-boat to Clarksville, after which he walked to Troy, MO. In 1834 he married Miss GREEN, who bore him one child, Henry W. Perkins. With the exception of a short time spent in California, Mr. Perkins made Lincoln Co., Missouri his home, and made farming and trading in stock his chief business, although he followed mercantile pursuits and kept a hotel several years. In 1873 he, with associates, organized the Farmer's and Mechanics Savings Bank, of which he was president until his death, which occurred in 1885. His son, Henry W. Perkins, was born in Troy, Lincoln Co., MO, April 21st, 1835, and received his literary education in the Troy High School and in the State University. He received his business education in Jones Commercial College, St. Louis, MO. After his return he engaged as clerk and book-keeper, being the first to keep a double entry set of books. His chief occupation in life has been farming and banking, having carried on the former quite extensively. IN 1874, he was chosen cashier of the above named bank, and has been in that capacity since. Early in 1888 he was appointed to fill a vacancy in the county treasurer's office, made by the resignation of W. S. Bragg. Mr. Perkins, however, had been custodian of this county's available funds for the last fifteen years. In 1860 he married Miss GEORGIE RITNER, a native of Virginia, though reared in St. Louis, MO. She is an active member of the Presbyterian Church. To them were born seven children, four now living, one son and three daughters. Mr. Perkins is a stanch Democrat in politics, is a member of the A. O. U. W. and is also a member of the Masonic Fraternity, having gone as high as the K. T. degree.
Source: History of Lincoln County, Missouri, from the earliest time to the present (1888)
George Neff, one of Clark County's prominent citizens, was born in Virginia in 1815, and is a son of George and Magdaline (Stump) Neff, natives of Virginia, who moved to Ohio in 1817, where the father settled on a farm, taking great interest in stock raising. In 1884 the father sold his farm, and moved to Palestine, Ohio, a village, where he remained for about ten years, engaged in mercantile business, and where he died in 1858. Our subject lived with his father until his marriage, when he went to Palestine, and kept a hotel for about sixteen years, after which he engaged in the mercantile business with his father for five years, then sold out, and came to Clark Co., MO, where he settled on a farm on Fox River, living there for twelve years, during which time he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. After that he rented his farm, and moved to Farmington, where he remained about seven years, when he moved to Athens, where he now resides. Being an old man now, he is enjoying the money he accumulated in his younger days. The wife of the subject, Elizabeth A. (Green), was a daughter of George and Lucinda Green, natives of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Neff were blessed with six children, all living, married and prosperous. They are Lucinda Neff, Elizabeth M. Neff, Mary J. Neff, Malinda Neff, George R. Neff, and Caroline Neff. Death entered the door of our subject while he was residing in Farmington and took from him his beloved wife. He then married LUCY JANE PERKINS, daughter of JOHN and MARY (HEDGECOUGH) PERKINS, natives of Tennessee. JOHN W. PERKINS was born in White County, Tenn, in 1809, and was among the most prominent farmers of that State, until his removal to Hancock County, Ill, where he farmed for four years, then returned to his native State, coming back to Illinois, however, in two years, where he remained a short time, after that going to Lee County, Iowa. While in Illinois he lost his first wife, but married again in Iowa. He lived in the latter place several years, and then settled on a farm in Clark Co., MO, where he remained until 1862, when he went back to Illinois, this time staying there two years. He then went to Jasper County, MO, where he farmed about four years. He then removed to Saline Co., MO, where he is engaged in farming and stock raising at the present date. The wife of our subject was born in Tennessee, in 1832. She lived with her parents until the death of her mother, and then lived with an uncle, in Missouri, until she became seventeen years old, when she came to Clark County, MO and remained with her father two years, afterward going to Athens, where she remained until 1878, when she was joined in wedlock with our subject.
Source: History of Lewis, Clark, Knox and Scotland Counties, Missouri ..., Volume 2
AMOS B. PERKINS. The
three-score-and-nine years of Amos Perkins life have been crowded with
varied and successful activities. He was born August 13th, 1842, in Logan
County, Ohio. His parents were Amos and Sophia Perkins,
farmers and landowners. Amos Perkins followed farming until the Civil war
and then enlisted in the Thirteenth Ohio under Captain Ashmead. He served
three months there and then went into the Forty-Second Ohio, under Captain
Gardner and Colonel Garfield. He was in his first engagement at Middle
Creek, Kentucky, and from that time was almost constantly in the thick of
the combat. He went through the battles at Cumberland Gap, Tennessee;
Charleston, West Virginia; Memphis and Chickatato Bluff in Tennessee; then
Arkansas Post in Arkansas; Grand Gulf, Fort Gibson, Raymond, Champion Hill,
Black River and the memorable siege of Vicksburg in Mississippi. After
something over two months at Vicksburg Mr. Perkins was sent north on a
furlough and was in Indianapolis when the war was over. His health was in a
precarious condition and the doctors gave him little hope of living over six
months when he left the army, so he changed his place of residence often in
hopes of being benefited. After the war he went into the lumber business at
Bellefontaine, Ohio. He had a plaining mill there and dealt in retail
lumber. It was there that he was married, in 1865, to
MARGARET REAM. In 1868, after three years
of residence in Bellefontaine, Mr. Perkins went to Hoopston, Illinois. He
changed only his location, not his business, but continued to handle lumber
for four years in Hoopston and for five years in St. Joseph, Michigan, where
he was in the wholesale trade. From Michigan Mr. Perkins went to Sullivan,
Indiana, and sold lumber there for four years. Another four years were spent
in Memphis, Tennessee; then two years at Cairo, Illinois, following which
was a space of three years when he did business in Southeastern Missouri and
had his offices at Cairo. He conducted business at Perkins and throughout
Southeastern Missouri, locating in Illmo six years ago. In order to get out
of the swamp, Mr. Perkins decided to take up his residence in Illmo when the
town was organized, as he could thus be near his extensive land holdings and
could at the same time carry on his retail lumber business. He deals
extensively in real estate also, and has recently began the exploitation of
the Illmo Springs mineral water. The value of this water was first brought
to Mr. Perkins attention in August, 1909, by some of his neighbors advising
that he drink it for kidney trouble, from which he was suffering. It was
said that the Indians had prized the water for its medicinal virtues and Mr.
Perkins decided to give it a trial. The results were so beneficial that he
sent a sample to the state chemist at Columbia for examination. The analysis
revealed the presence of the following elements in one gallon:
Source: History of southeast Missouri : a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests (1912. By Robert Douglass. 1912.
DR. EDWARD F. PERKINS; This gentleman, who has had political and official connection with Linn county since his residence here, is a native of the "Old Dominion," and was born in Henry Co., VA on the thirteenth of September, 1833. He is the son of the Rev. William Perkins, formally a minister in the M.E. Church South, and also a native of Virginia, and who died in Linneus in 1871. Dr. Perkins' mother was Martha Henry Fontaine, a family of French Huguenot extraction, the original name being De La Fontaine, and a name prominent among the early Huguenots of the Carolinas. She was a great granddaughter of the illustrious Patrick Henry, of Virginia, and reared by her grandmother, the eldest daughter of that master statesman. On the paternal side the Perkins family is of Scotch-Irish origin, and was here prior to the Revolution, the doctor's grandfather having been a major in that struggle for independence. When our subject was about five years old his father moved from Virginia to Howard county, Missouri, near Glasgow, and there Edward resided till 1854. His general education was acquired chiefly in Howard county, and his professional education was obtained partly at Glasgow in the office of Dr. Isaac Vaughn (with whom he read over a year) and at McDowell Medical College in St. Louis, which he attended during the years 1854-55. Dr. Perkins first began the practice in the spring of 1855, at Milan, Sullivan county, Missouri. His only family consisted of himself and his horse, and he began life with a cash capital of eight dollars all told, less seventy-five dollars of indebtedness incurred for outfit. He at once got into a lucrative practice and remained at Milan nine years. He then moved to Linneus in 1864 and began the practice, and soon afterward went into the drug business with John Bradley, his brother-in-law. Dr. Perkins soon bought Bradley out and conducted the business alone till 1873 when he closed out. During the campaign of 1874 he was brought out by his Democratic friends as candidate for State Senator of the Sixth Senatorial District of Missouri, and received the nomination when the convention met at Linneus over several other popular gentlemen. The Republicans brought out E. A. Holcomb, of Keytesville, as his competitor. Dr. Perkins was duly elected at the ensuing election and served one term of four years. His health was not good during this period, and he laid politics aside at the expiration of his term engaging in the mercantile business at Linneus and has been thus engaged ever since. Though not regularly in the practice any more, he occasionally attends his own personal friends in sickness. Dr. Perkins was first married in the spring of 1859 to Miss JENNIE T. GARRETT, of Linn county. She died in August, 1874 and he was again married in December, 1878, to Mrs. KATE MOORE, a daughter of the Rev. L. T. McNeally, of the M. E. Church. Seven children were born of the first marriage (three now living), and one, a daughter, of the second. Dr. Perkins is a member of the M. E. Church South, and has been for sixteen years. His first wife was a member of the Christian Church, and the present Mrs. P. belongs to the Southern Methodist. Dr. Perkins has taken all the degrees of Odd fellowship, and as far as a Fellow-Craft in Masonry. Though having no capital to begin life Dr. Perkins has, by energy, industry, and thrifty management, amassed a fair competency, and is enabled to surround his family with all the comforts of life.
Source: The History of Linn County, Missouri; An encyclopedia of useful information.
DR. PATRICK HENRY PERKINS; The history of the Perkins family as elsewhere given is complete, except that part personal to the scion whose name heads this sketch. Dr. Patrick Henry Perkins (called Park in the family) is a son of the Rev. William Perkins mentioned in the biography of Dr. Edward F. Perkins-(See sketch above). He is a brother of the latter, and consequently a great-great-grandson of the illustrious Patrick Henry, of Virginia. He (Dr. Perkins) was born in Henry county, Virginia, on the twenty-second of January, 1829. When he was about eight years old his father, in 1837, moved with his family to Missouri, settling in Howard county, and there Dr. Park was reared and educated, receiving the greater part of his literary education at Glasgow. His professional education was acquired at the McDowell Medical College in St. Louis, attending lectures there in 1853-54. He read medicine with Dr. Vaughn, of Glasgow, and Dr. Graves, of Brunswick, for two years before entering McDowell College. Dr. Perkins first began the practice in Grundy county, in 1855, and remained one year. From there he moved to DeWitt, in Carroll county, where he practiced for nine years. Illinois was his next field of operations, going there in 1864, to escape the war troubles of Missouri. Locating at Camp Point he remained in the practice one year and then returned to Missouri and located at Linneus, Linn county, in October, 1865. Since that date Dr. Perkins has been constantly in the practice here, and most of the time in the drug business, having begun that latter in 1873.
Dr. Perkins was first married in March, 1857, to Miss MARY JANE GUTHRIE, daughter of the Rev. Eli Guthrie, of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, who was drowned in the Missouri River near DeWitt. Dr. Perkins's wife died in March, 1865, and he was again married in April of the following year to Miss MATTIE FLOOD, daughter of Judge John Flood, an old settler of this county, and once judge of one of the Chariton County Courts. This lady is still living at this writing. He had four children by his first marriage, three sons and one daughter, one son and one daughter still living. By his second marriage Dr. Perkins had four children, two of each, and all living. Dr. Perkins and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South, he having been a member for twenty-three years. He also belongs to the Masonic order, the Good Templar's, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and has filled many offices. He was elected mayor of Linneus in April, 1881, on the straight-out temperance ticket, he having always been a great temperance advocate. Politically, Dr. Perkins is a Democrat, and was a Southern sympathizer during the war. In 1849 he went with the gold excitement to California, and was engaged in mining and cattle trading for two years. He returned in 1851. He made money there. The Perkins family have in their possession a letter written by the great Patrick Henry, of Virginia, which they preserve as a heirloom and souvenir. It bears date July 4th, 1794, and is addressed to his daughter as "My Dear Patsy". It is a business letter written in regard to some land transaction. It was our intention to publish the letter, but being unable to make out some words and names we are forced to forgo.
Source: The History of Linn County, Missouri; An encyclopedia of useful information.
Perry B. Harns is a son of Charles S. Harns, who was born in New York State, and married in Pennsylvania, AURILLA PERKINS, a daughter of Joseph & Ann (Irish) Perkins. The following are the names of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Harns: Emery W., Mary L., PERRY B., Olive O.,and Ensley C. Charles S. Harns purchased land in Michigan in 1852, and there resided for thirteen years, after which he came to Newton County, Mo., homesteaded eighty acres of land, and bought eighty acres. more. He he resided until his death, which occurred in 1887, at the age of sixty-three years. He was a Republican in his political views, and was esteemed by all who knew him. Perry B. Harns was born in Pennsylvania in 1852, and when an infant was taken to Michigan, where he was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He came to Newton County in 1866, and in 1876 was married in this county to Amayetta E. Marquiss, daughter of William and Anna (Tolman) Marquiss, and she bore him three children; Charles W., Nathaniel V, and Birdie. Mr. Harns, like his father, is a stanch Republican in politics, and is a young man of integrity and industry. He comes from an old family, who fought for American independence, and is justly proud of the race from which he sprung.
Source: History of Newton, Lawrence, Barry and McDonald counties, Missouri. From the earliest time to the present.
CHRISTOPHER PERKINS, farmer, section 12, is a son of David Perkins, who was born in Virginia and lived in this county for many years, dying March 4th, 1854, at the age of ninety-nine years. Christopher was born in Kentucky on the 9th of September 1804, and removed to Missouri in September, 1826, settling in this county in 1838. He bought a farm near Jefferson City, on which he lived for ten years and then came to this place and located 160 acres of land. He has since added to his original purchase until at the present time his landed estate consists of 1,500 acres. He married Miss ELIZABETH FULKERSON, a native of Virginia, March 6th, 1830. They had a family of eight children, four of whom are now living--- Sarah F. Perkins, Mary Matilda Perkins, Martha E. Perkins and Celia Perkins. Lost four --- James M. Perkins, died in 1861, leaving two children, Christopher Perkins & James Perkins; Sarah F. Perkins, married A. Peterman, and died December 4, 1859; leaving two children, Willie B. Peterman and Luella M. Peterman; Nancy J. Perkins, died at the age of fourteen, and Rebecca Perkins in infancy. His worldly possessions when he settled here consisted of a pony and twenty-five cents in money. By industry and economy he has save a competency for his declining years. In his religious preferences he is a Baptist, and is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mrs. Perkins died February 20th, 1880, lacking only a few days of their fiftieth marriage anniversary.
Source: The History of Clinton County, Missouri: Containing a history of the County
FINIS PERKINS, 69, of 17 Third Ave., died at 9:45 a.m. Thursday at the Boone County Hospital after a brief illness. Mr. Perkins was an employee of the Missouri Utilities Co. until he retired in 1965. Mr. Perkins was born April 28th, 1900 in Boone County, MO to the late Lilburn and Bessie Elder Perkins. He married the former JOSEPHINE SMITH, Oct. 20th, 1923. Surviving are his wife; one daughter, Mrs. Perry Bryant, Springfield; four sons, James Perkins, Kansas City, Kan., Harry Perkins and Clyde Perkins, both of Augusta, GA., and Claude Perkins, St. Louis, MO; five brothers, Dennis Perkins, Los Angeles, CA, Orville Perkins and Charles Perkins, both of Route 1; L. C. Perkins, Oakland Gravel Rd. and Fred Perkins, Braemore Rd. ; seven sisters, Mrs. George Coe, Los Angeles, CA; Mrs. Isabelle Boldin, Kansas City; Mrs. Clyde Calvert and Mrs. Francis Miller, both of St. Louis, MO, Mrs. Ted Robinson, Waverly, MO, Mrs. Carrie Winn, Albuquerque, N. M., and Mrs. Irvin Jones, Florissant; and 12 grand children. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Memorial Funeral Home Chapel conducted by the Rev. Oliver Langmade, Grace Bible Church. Burial will be in the Memorial Gardens, Centralia, MO. Pallbearers will be Wayne Taylor, Harold Hackman, Kenneth Hess, Billy Hess, William Bill Hunt and Eldon Breedlove.
Source: Obituary - Columbia Missourian - July 26th, 1969 - Page 2
Dr. JOHN W. PERKINS, division surgeon for the Kansas division of the union Pacific Railroad since 1887 and a physician ‘and surgeon of pronounced ability, was born in Boston, Massachusetts, July 1, 1860, a son of David and Hannah (Dunn) Perkins, who were natives of New Hampshire and of Maine, respectively. The father was contractor and builder who devoted his life to the business following his marriage, previous to which time he had been a sea captain, sailing out of Boston to the West Indies and in the coastwise trade. He came of a family of seagoing people, but after his marriage, preferring to be with his family, he took up building operations in Boston. His son, Dr. John W. Perkins, completed a course in the Boston Latin school and then entered Harvard, in which he completed his classical course by graduation in 1882 with the Bachelor of Arts degree, while in 1886 he won the M. D. degree. He later served as house physician in the Boston Children’s Hospital and was after ward house surgeon for a year and nine months in the Boston City Hospital. On the expiration of that period he was appointed surgeon for the Union Pacific Railway at Kansas City and removed to the middle west in 1887. He has since acted in this capacity, or for a period of more than a third of a century. He has his headquarters, at the university Hospital, where he specializes in surgery. The railway division of which he is the head covers about a thousand miles. At one time he took his cases to St. Joseph and St. Margaret Hospitals, but now all are treated in the university Hospital, where the most modern facilities are at hand and where the most scientific care is given to patients. During the World war period he not only had his railway cases but took care of any government cases that needed his attention. Dr. Perkins was married in 1889, in Kansas City, to Miss JULIA EUNICE DUTTON representative of one of the old families of New York. Their children are three in number, Stuart Perkins, Louise Perkins and Roland Perkins, all of whom are now married. Roland Perkins was in the service during the World war but did not get overseas, being held in the training camp at Oklahoma City. Politically Dr. Perkins is a republican, having given stalwart allegiance to the party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. Fraternally he is a Mason. He belongs to the Massachusetts Medical Society. the Jackson County and Missouri State Medical Societies, the American Medical Association and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Source: Centennial History of Missouri (The Center State) One Hundred Years In The Union 1820-1921 Volume 6. - St. Louis-Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company. 1921. - Walter B. Stevens
, Mr. Perkins was born in Parishville, St. Lawrence Co., New York, March 12th, 1840, his father bearing the Christian name of Cyrus G. Perkins and his mother, Angeline "Martha" A. *(Barnes). He remained at home and attended school until he was fourteen years old, then went to Lowell, Massachusetts, and worked in a cotton factory for a year or two. Returning home, he learned the painter's trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years, following that vocation till the commencement of the war. He enlisted for U.S. Service in April, 1861, going to Albany, NY where he was sworn in for three months. He next enlisted in the 6th New York infantry for two years, which period he served out, participating in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged. After returning home, he married Miss EMMA L. DERVEY, on June 4th, 1863. Three children have been born to them of this union, one only of whom survives at this writing.*[See James Perkins - Below] After his marriage he lived six months in Washington City, going thence to Alexandria, Virginia, where he remained three years. Subsequent to this he was in Baltimore, Maryland and his native county, Iowa, Woodstock, and Muscatine, in which latter place he had charge of the largest creamery in the world. He next went to Kansas, where he remained a short time, coming to North Springfield, MO, this county, in June 1880. Here he opened a restaurant, and in the spring of 1882, erected his brick house. He is a member of the St. Mark's Lodge, No. 63, A.F. and A.M. and also of Independence lodge, No. 77, I.O.O.F., Baltimore Maryland.
*And Also Read.....
LEONARD B. PERKINS.Change is constant and general; generations rise and pass unmarked away, and it is due to posterity, as well as a present gratification, to gather up and put in imperishable form upon the printed page as nearly as possible a true and succinct record of the parent's life. The late Leonard B. Perkins was for over a quarter of a century one of the well-known and enterprising hotel men of Springfield, and his life record has in it a valuable lesson, showing that success may be achieved in the face of discouragements, if one has persistence, courage and good habits, and his career can not fail to interest the young men into whose cradle smiling fortune has cast no golden scepter. Personally Mr. Perkins was a gentleman of pleasing address and quiet appearance, frank and kindly in manner and popular with his friends and fellow citizens. Measured by the true standard of excellence, he was an upright, courteous gentleman, true to himself and to others, and as a citizen his influence was potent for good. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having served throughout the struggle, with troops from the old Empire state. He gave close attention to his business, and amassed a sufficient amount of this old world's goods to make his latter years comfortable and free from embarrassment. He possessed tact and discriminating judgment, and was always ready to advise and help others, when necessary, and many were eager to avail themselves of his wise suggestions in matters of business. His home was all that good taste and kindness could make it and his social and family relations were of the most pleasant and agreeable character.
Mr. Perkins was born at Parishville, St. Lawrence county, New York, March 12, 1840. He was a son of Cyrus G. and Martha A. (Barnes) Perkins, the father a native of New Hampshire, and the mother of Potsdam, New York.
Mr. Perkins grew to manhood in his native state and received his education in the common schools. When the Civil war came on he was one of the first to enlist at Potsdam, New York, April 22, 1861, in Company B, Sixteenth New York Volunteer Infantry, and soon thereafter the company left for Albany, that state, where it was mustered into the Union service on May 15th, to serve two years. He proved to be a gallant and faithful soldier and saw considerable hard service with the main army in the East, and he was mustered out and honorably discharged at Albany, New York, May 22, 1863. He at once returned to Potsdam, that state, where on June 4th he married EMELINE L. DEWEY.
In August of that year he took his bride to Washington, D. C., and later to Alexandria, Virginia, where he entered the government railroad service. He remained there two years and then moved to Baltimore, where they lived for a number of years, then went back to Parishville, New York, and in 1874 went to Woodstock, Illinois, and engaged in dairy farming. Remaining there about six years, he went to Muscatine, Iowa, but soon the family moved to Springfield, Missouri, in 1880, and Mr. Perkins established the Perkins Hotel on East Commercial street, which was successful from the first and became in due course of time one of the popular hostelries of the city, and he continued to manage the same until about ten years ago when he retired from active management of the same, in favor of his son, James A. Perkins, who has since conducted it in a successful manner, and he has proven to be a popular host like his father and the place continues to be popular with the traveling public.
Mrs. Perkins was born in Hopkinton, St. Lawrence county, New York, on September 8, 1840. She is a daughter of Hubbell Hopkins and Anne (Wing) Dewey, and she grew to womanhood in her native county and received a common school education. She is living with her son, James A., in Springfield.
To Leonard B. Perkins and wife three children were born, all in Baltimore, Maryland, namely: Leonard Barnes Perkins, born June 20, 1867, died February 6, 1868; Emma DeEtt Perkins, born March 13, 1869, died August 20, 1870; and James Albert Perkins, born September 5, 1870. Mr. Perkins has a brother and a sister living, the former Judge Fred D. Perkins, and the latter, Mrs. Martha A. (Perkins) Grennon; they both reside at Woodstock, Illinois.
Politically, Mr. Perkins was a Republican. Religiously he belonged to St. John's Protestant Episcopal church. Fraternally, he is a member of Orient Lodge No. 86, Knights of Pythias and Ozark Camp No. 25, Woodmen of the World.
Mr. Perkins and his faithful life companion traversed the road that leads from yesterday to the unknown beyond for a half century, and they celebrated their golden wedding, June 4, 1913, and we reprint the following from the society page of the Springfield Leader, which tells of that important event in the lives of the subject of this memoir and his wife:
"An elegant and unusual reception was given Wednesday evening at the Perkins Hotel on Commercial street, when the many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard B. Perkins, were bidden to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage. The parlor suite was profusely decorated in Lady Wellington roses, which are of a deep yellow color, and on tables were displayed the many gifts of gold, and other pieces in which the golden color was prominent. The dining room was a veritable bower of white field daisies, festoons of yellow tulle gracefully draped the paneled walls. During the evening Mrs. George B. Swift, accompanied by Miss Mary Hall, sang, 'My Heart Is Singing,' by Sousa, and responded with 'My Dear,' by Ernest R. Ball, as an encore. Miss Nell Haynes, accompanied by Professor Kelly, sang in her usual brilliant style, 'Happy Days,' and giving as an encore, 'Silver Threads Among the Gold.' The orchestra program, under direction of Prof. Herbert L. Hoover, was exceptionally pleasing, the selections 'Annie Laurie,' 'Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes,' 'Soldier's Farewell,' the popular airs of fifty years ago. In the receiving line were: Mrs. Lemuel. Parsons and Miss Emily Hess, both of Oklahoma City; Mrs. Lee R. Hoff, and Misses Willene Rand, Adah Roberts and Bernice Jackson ably assisted in receiving the many guests. Mrs. Perkins was gowned in white and carried an arm bouquet of yellow roses. The ladies assisting in receiving were exquisite in gowns of white lingerie. Later in the evening the younger people danced until a late hour. A two-course luncheon was served continuously during the evening, and in the large hall delicious punch was dispensed. About two hundred guests called and congratulated Mr. and Mrs. Perkins on this happy occasion."
The death of Leonard B. Perkins occurred on February 28, 1914, after a short illness, when nearly seventy-four years of age. We quote the following from the Springfield Independent, in its issue of March 2, 1914:
"For several days Mr. Perkins' friends were confident that he could not survive many days, yet when the hour came they were much grieved at his departure. His home was constantly visited by his friends during his illness. His old soldier friends were there, his lodge friends called and his business friends were solicitous of his condition. Thirty and four years is a long time to be a citizen of the same location. During that time he called to his circle of friendships the old, the middle aged and the youth. Everybody respected him and all had a word of cheer. He delighted to relate stories, of the Civil war. He also took delight to state that he and Mrs. Perkins played on the same play-grounds in youth while attending the same school. They played together in youth and they lived together as the years ripened into age. He was a sensible, intelligent old man—cultured and refined, and he never dropped his Yankee habits in full. He was a splendid conversationalist and he liked to talk about the early history of Commercial street.
"In his passing Springfield loses one of its warmest admirers and one of nits best citizens. The little old hotel he used in the long ago is now the hotel office of the Perkins and no old citizen can pass that site without thinking of the one who used to be there to greet friends and guests in the royal manner of the old Empire state. He has left a heritage of good will and good cheer to all the people. It is sad to see these old landmarks pass from the city's activities and the city’s makeup. The old have a place in our history and no matter how long they stay their life is precious to all who stop to consider. The old soldiers' ranks are thinning. The old people's circle is diminishing and ere long there will be but few to tell the tale of early history. Mr. Perkins was our friend and neighbor and many times he came into this office with good cheer and sunshine when the hour seemed the darkest. His many visits will be remembered as so many messengers of splendid encouragement, confidence and trust."
Source: Past and Present of Green Co., Missouri
*Also See: Martha (Perkins) Grennon
*Also See: James Perkins
JAMES A. PERKINS is the popular proprietor of the Perkins Hotel of Springfield and its conduct displays many of the characteristics of the pioneer, in that he is continually formulating new plans and seeking out original methods which will provide for the comfort and welfare of his patrons. He was born in Baltimore, Maryland, September 5, 1870, a son of Leonard Barnes and Emeline L. (Dewey) Perkins.*[See Leonard Perkins - Above]. The maternal grandfather was Hubbell Hopkins Dewey, who was a drummer boy in the War of 1812. His father and two brothers were killed in the battle of Plattsburg. Mr. and Mrs. Leonard B. Perkins went to Springfield, Missouri, in 1880. For thirty years the former was prominently connected with the business interests of Springfield. He was the founder of the Perkins Hotel and was identified with much of the growth and development of his part of the city. His birth occurred at Parishville, New York, March 12, 1840, his parents being Cyrus G. and Martha A. (Barnes) Perkins. Following the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted for service in the Union army, enrolling at Potsdam, New York, on the 22d of April, 1861, as a member of Company B, Sixteenth New York Infantry, with which he served for two years. On the 4th of June, 1863, he was united in marriage to Miss EMELINE L. DEWEY and soon afterward they went to Washington, D. C, and later to Alexandria, Virginia, where Mr. Perkins entered the government railroad service. At the close of the war the family removed to Baltimore and some time afterward to Illinois, where the father engaged in the dairy business for four years. In 1880 he took his family to North Springfield, where he established the hotel which bears his name, and from that time forward, covering a period of three decades, he was widely known in and closely connected with the business interests of the city. He was loved by a large circle of friends as a man of probity and high character. He had a wide acquaintance and was popular with all. No better proof of the esteem in which he was held can be had than the vast numbers who called at the office of the Springfield Republican nightly to inquire as to his condition during his last illness. Mr. Perkins belonged to Orient Lodge, No. 86, Knights of Pythias, and to Ozark Camp, No. 25, Woodmen of the World, both of which organizations aided in the funeral services when, o1t the 3d of March, 1914, Mr. Perkins was laid to rest in Hazelwood cemetery. He and his wife had lived to celebrate their fiftieth anniversary—an occasion participated in by their many friends. Their only child, James A. Perkins, was a public-school student in Springfield until graduated from the high school with the class of 1891. He then entered the employ of the Fred Harvey Catering Company and was thus employed for five years. He next returned to Springfield, Missouri, and took charge of the Perkins Hotel, which had been established by his father and which has been conducted under the same name since 1880. It is a popular hostelry, well conducted and carefully managed. Mr. Perkins' entire business experience has been along this line, and he has made the hotel a credit to the city. In his political views Mr. Perkins is a republican, but not an office seeker. He is well known in Masonry, holding membership with Gate of the Temple Lodge, No. 422, A. F. & A. M.; Vincil Chapter, No. 15, R. A. M.; Harmony Commandery, No. 20, K. T.; and Abou ben Adhem Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to St. John's Episcopal church, in the faith of which he was reared. His friends—and they are many—speak of him in terms of high regard, and he has a wide acquaintance, not only in Springfield, but among the traveling public.
Source: Missouri the center state: 1821-1915, Volume 3 - By Walter Barlow Stevens
WILLIAM F. PERKINS, There is no man, probably , in Southeastern Missouri that has a more practical and definite knowledge of the lumber interests of our country than William F. Perkins, who as a boy went into the Michigan limber camps and has ever since been identified with the lumber industry, at the present time being superintendent for the Wisconsin Lumber Company at Deering Missouri, having full charge of the firm's affairs at this point. A son of Paul B. and Katherine (Shell) Perkins, he was born in Alleghany county, New York, April 2nd, 1862. When a child, William F. Perkins was taken by his parents to southern Michigan, and when twelve years old began working in the lumber camps in northern Michigan. Ere (Here) he has reached man's estate he was familiar with the diversified interests of that vast timber region, and was there a resident until 1905, being all of the time associated with the development and advancement of the lumber industry. Locating then in Forrest City, Arkansas, Mr. Perkins was for four years associated with the Forrest City Manufacturing Company. Coming to Deering, Pemiscot County, Missouri, in January, 1910, he accepted his present position as superintendent of the Wisconsin Lumber Company, an office for which he is especially adapted, both by knowledge and experience, and which he is filling with credit to himself and to the eminent satisfaction of the firm which employs him. Mr. Perkins married in 1883, in northern Michigan, CORA E. DYE, and to them four children have been born, namely: Wayne B. Perkins, twenty-four years of age, assists his father; Bessie Perkins, who is employed in the office of the Forrest City Box Company, at Forrest City, Arkansas; Mildred Perkins, with her father; and Katherine Perkins, a pupil in the Caruthersville high school. Fraternally Mr. Perkins is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Forrest City, Arkansas; and of the Ancient Free and Accepted Order of Masons at Hayti, Missouri. Mrs. Perkins united with the Methodist Episcopal church at Forrest City, Arkansas, and is a regular attendant of the Methodist church at Deering.