PERKINS FAMILY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES BY STATE
Perkins Research Michigan Biographical Sketches
ALONZO D. PERKINS, Captain; Vessel Master, Monroe, MI, was born in 1814, at Brunswick, Maine. He is the son of Dorman and Nancy (Ring) Perkins, and is the eldest of five children. His father was a ship-master, who followed the sea until he became infirm; he died at the ripe old age of eighty-three. The early life of Captain Perkins, Jun... was spent in Brunswick, At the age of fourteen, he sailed with his father in the fishing and coasting trade; and, subsequently, in the West Indies. At the age of twenty, he became mate of a vessel in the West Indies trade. In the spring of 1839 he left New York, and came West as far as Buffalo, having a great desire to see the western country and make a trip around the great lakes. At Buffalo he helped to fit out the brig "Osceola", and sailed in her, as first officer, to Chicago. On returning from Chicago to Black Rock, near Buffalo, she brought back the first cargo of wheat ever shipped in bulk from that port. From 1840 to 1844, Captain Perkins commanded different vessels. In August, 1844, he came to Monroe and took command of the steamer "General Wayne" until 1847, when the "Southerner," which was his next vessel, was built. The following two seasons, he was Captain of the steamer "Baltic.". In 1852 the "Southern Michigan" was built in Buffalo, and was commanded by Captain Perkins until 1856, when he superintended the construction of the steamer "Western Metropolis", of which he had charge during the season of 1856. In 1857 he superintended the building of the steamer "City of Buffalo", which proved the fastest fresh-water sailor ever known. In the summer of 1859, Captain Perkins made the trip from Buffalo to Cleveland, with this vessel, in eight hours and thirty-eight minutes, a distance of one hundred and thirty miles. This is the fastest lake or river time on record. He continued in charge of this vessel until the fall of 1861, when he went to New York and superintended the building of the steamer "Morning Star," which he commanded in the New Orleans trade until the fall of 1862; he then retired from maritime life and returned to his home in Monroe, where he has since resided. In all of Captain Perkins' experience of twenty years in command of many vessels, he never met with an accident of any description; and in all the hundred thousands of persons who traveled with him, not one life was ever lost, nor a dollar's worth of property sacrificed. For the last sixteen years, Captain Perkins has been engaged in the land plaster business. He married, in 1844, at Monroe, Michigan, Miss CATHERINE NORMAN. The have had six children, four of whom survive; Mrs. James G. McBride and Mrs. F. A. Nims, and two sons unmarried. In politics, Captain Perkins was an old-line Whig until the formation of the Republican party, of which he is now a member. He has been connected with the Masonic Fraternity, and also with the Odd-Fellows' society, thought he never took an active interest in either. Captain Perkins, in his public as well as in his social life, has ever been noted for his genial, pleasant, and unostentatious manner. He is said to have combined in a way rare among men who follow the sea, all the courtesy of a true gentleman, with the ability, discipline, and watchful care of a successful seaman.
Source: American biographical history of eminent and self-made men...
ELI G. PERKINS, son of Conde Perkins and Hannah Griffiths, he of Connecticut and she of Vermont, was born in Canada, August 1, 1822. His father, Conde Perkins, was a volunteer of 1812; started for the battle of Plattsburg, but, the conflict being over, was discharged. Grandfather Nathan Griffiths served during the entire term of the Revolutionary war, being at the headquarters at Valley Forge, and participating in all its scenes. He was under the immediate command of Washington, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. Mr. Perkins came to Macomb in March, 1838; made a clearing on his land in 1844; subsequently opened a cooper-shop in Richmond Township which he operated until 1853, when he went to Iowa; he returned after a short stay there, rented the Gower farm; subsequently located on Section 14, Richmond Township, where he lived four years, and next on Section 2, Armada, where he now resides. Mr. Perkins married Miss. M. A. MOSER, daughter of Jabez Mosher, Ontario County, N.Y., September 16, 1844. There were six children by this marriage - James G. B. Perkins, born April 22, 1845; Gleason A. Perkins, November 5, 1846; Helen M. Perkins, March 7, 1849, died December 14, 1854; Rosetta A. Perkins, March 28, 1851; Eli E. Perkins, January 10, 1853, died October 11, 1854; Eli F. Perkins, born March 4, 1856. Mrs. Perkins was born in Richmond, Ontario County, in 1825. Mr. Perkins has a farm of 135 acres, well cultivated. His sheep-farming operations have been a success. Politically, he is a Greenbacker. Freeman Perkins, brother of Eli G. Perkins, served in the Fifth Michigan Cavalry; was taken prisoner at Gettysburg, and died from harsh treatment while in the Confederate hotel at Andersonville, on his journey homeward.
Macomb County, Michigan; M. A. Lesson & Co., Chicago, 1882
ANDREW B. PERKINS, of the firm of Perkins & Houghton, who are wholesale commission merchants in produce and fruits, is an enterprising and progressive man in business, and one whom it is a pleasure to meet in social life. He was born in Wayne Co., Michigan, not far from Detroit, MI, and his father, Andrew Perkins, was a native of New York and an early settler near Detroit, MI, where he carried on the hotel business, but died when our subject was still young. The mother, ELIZABETH HOUGHTON, was born in Yorkshire, England, and now resides in Detroit, MI. Of their eight children, three sons and four daughters. One son, Charles Perkins, was a soldier in the Civil War, being a member of a Michigan regiment. Our subject was born March 17th, 1858, and after reaching the age of six years had his early training and education in Detroit and took a course in the High School there. At the age of thirteen, he began to carry on independent work and was for a year in his brother's employ, but afterwards started a retail fruit business and later began jobbing and handling produce. From 1882 to 1883, Mr. Perkins was in the wholesale mercantile business with Mr. Houghton, but in 1881 they turned their attention in the direction which they are now following. They have since that time been in business together with the exception of one year when Mr. Perkins was in business for himself, but soon returned his connection with Mr. Houghton. Here they have built up an excellent wholesale trade and ship large quantities of fruit and provisions to the East. They can oysters and handle fruit and vegetables. In order to give their business the growth which they desire, they keep two men upon the road most of the time. The marriage of our subject took place in Bay City, MI, Nov. 25th, 1884, and he was then united with AMELIA HELBIG, who was born in Bay City, MI and is now the mother of four children; Charles R. Perkins, Andrew H. Perkins, William H. Perkins and Ruth Perkins. Their pleasant home is in the Fourth ward of West Bay City, MI. Mr. Perkins belongs to the Ancient Order of the United Workmen and in his political associations and convictions is a Democrat.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Saginaw and Bay County Michigan.
SANFORD PERKINS, One of the prominent and highly respected gentlemen resident of Saginaw township, Saginaw Co., MI, on section 17, is he whose name appears above. He is a native of Erie Co., PA, and was born Oct. 3rd, 1820. He is a son of Sprague and Maria Perkins. The former a native of New York and was born in 1795. The American branch of the Perkins family is descended from one of three brothers who came to America from Wales just previous to the Revolutionary War, in which they all served as soldiers. Our subject's grandfather is the only one of the three of whom anything is known. He was a farmer and died at Batavia, Genesee Co., NY. The father of our subject was a mason by trade. He worked on the Erie Canal during its construction and came West in 1846, first locating in Owosso, Shiawassee Co., MI, making the journey by boat to Detroit, Wayne Co., MI and thence by wagon. He there super-intended the building of a dam and mill and there died in Feb., 1847. He was a ardent Baptist and in politics a Democrat. His wife and our subject's mother, was prior to her marriage, MARIA MATTHEWS, a native of Ohio, who was born in 1799. Her people were among the first settlers at Cleveland. She and her husband reared five children, whose names are; Sanford S. Perkins, Stephen Perkins, Nettie Perkins, Joseph Perkins and Clara Perkins, Mrs. Buss.
Sanford Perkins came to Michigan when a mere boy with his parents and here he attended pioneer school. There were many Indians in this vicinity and his father use to act as judge in settling their difficulties. He liked no better sport as a boy than to hunt the deer and bears that were so plentiful. Our subject lived at Owosso, MI until his father's death and then went East, remaining one year. On his return to Owosso, MI, he learned the wagon-maker's trade, in which he was engaged for ten years. He came to Saginaw, Saginaw Co., MI in July, 1849, and opened a wagon shop. The town was then only an Indian trading post with a few small hotels and other things in proportion.
Mr. Perkins carried on the wagon-making business for eight years and many of the lumber wagons used in the early days came from his shop and were the work of his hands. At the end of that time he spent one year in charge of a bridge on Mackmaw Street, and was then engaged on the street railroad for thirteen years. He superintended that enterprise and rebuilt the entire track. At the end of his connection with that interest, he removed upon his farm, where he now lives, coming here in the spring of 1880. He has made nearly all the improvements upon the farm and built his present neat farmhouse, in 1878, and his large barn in which he has been very successful. The home was presided over by his amiable wife, to whom he was married in June, 1853. She was a Miss MARYETT WYMAN, and a native of Vermont, born in 1833. Our subject has reared two boys, whose names are Stephen D. Perkins and Winfield S. Perkins. Another son born to them, Jefferson Perkins, their eldest child, died when six years of age. Mr. Perkins died in Oct., 1863. She was a devoted member of the Methodist Church.
Our subject is identified in his political relations with the Democratic party. He was elected Supervisor of the township in the spring of 1885 and served for three successive years, was Chairman of the board three years. He still holds the office of Justice of the Peace, to which he was elected in 1889. For two years he served as Alderman of the Third Ward of Saginaw, MI and has been School Director for six years. During the thirteen years in which Mr. Perkins was with the street railway company, he built a tow barge, which he operated on the river for two years. He also owned and operated a tug for four years.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Saginaw and Bay County Michigan.
CHARLES W. PERKINS, was
born in Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada, in 1833, and came to Michigan
with his parents in 1845. They settled on what is now the county poor
farms, in Lapeer County, and at the age of eighteen he commenced teaching
school. In 1858 he took up forty acres of land from the government, on
section 33, in the township of North Branch, which he afterward exchanged
for village property in Almont, MI, but which he subsequently disposed of
and invested in other lands, and from this small beginning grew to be an
extensive land speculator in this and adjoining counties, owning at one
time over four thousand acres. He owned and resided upon 100 acres of land
in the township of Imlay, MI one year and was a resident of Lapeer City
ten years. In 1880 he purchased eighty acres on section 21, in the
township of Mayfield, MI, where he has since resided. He still owns 260
acres of land in Tuscola County, and interests in other tracts there. He
was married in 1859 to Miss JULIA A. ROGERS,
of Imlay, MI. They have nine children, three sons and six daughters. Two
sons and one daughter are living in Lincoln, Nebraska. His father and
brothers saw service in the late war.
JOHN L. PERKINS, was
born in Galen, Wayne County, N.Y., December 25th, 1824, and resided there
until he was fourteen years old, when in the fall of 1838 his parents,
William and Susannah Perkins, came to Michigan and settled in
Rome, Lenawee Co., MI, this county. William Perkins was born in Naples,
Vermont, where he lived until after he was married, when, in 1818, he
removed to Galen, Wayne Co., NY, and purchased a farm. He married
Susannah Hubbard, of Vermont, by whom he had eleven children, John
L. Perkins being the eighth child. Mrs. Susannah Perkins was a native of
Vermont, and died at her son William's, in Adrian township, in 1850, aged
sixty years. John L. Perkins came to Michigan in 1838, and was raised a
farmer, living at home until he was twenty-one. In the spring of 1845 he
went to Buffalo, where he purchased a canal freight boat, and ran between
Albany and Buffalo that season. In the spring of 1846 he became interested
in several other boats running from Buffalo to New York, and continued in
the business for about ten years. In the spring of 1851 he built a steam
canal boat, which was the first attempt at steam canal navigation. He made
but one trip, the scheme proving impracticable, there not being sufficient
water in the canal. In 1852 he engaged quite extensively in buying grain
at Buffalo, selling to retailers and consumers. In the spring of 1856 he
went to New Baltimore, on the shores of Lake St. Clair, Michigan, and
engaged extensively in the manufacture of staves and barrels, shipping to
Europe and the Eastern States, also being at the same time engaged in the
mercantile business. He remained there four years. In 1860 he purchased
his father's old homestead, in Rome, this county, and "farmed it" there
and purchased live stock and shipped to New York for ten years. In 1870 he
sold this farm in Rome, MI and removed to Clayton village, where he
erected a large brick block, and opened a hardware store, and is still
carrying on a successful business there. Since his residence in Clayton,
he has purchased large amounts of produce and live stock, shipping it
East. Mr. Perkins has always been an active business man, alive to the
interests of the community in which he has lived, regarding his honor, his
good name and his business integrity as the best capital he could have.
February 27th, 1846, John L. Perkins married
HARRIET M. YERINGTON, daughter of Ezekiel Yerington, of
Rolling, Lenawee Co., MI, but has never had any children. Mrs. Harriet M.
Perkins was born in Susquehanna county, N.Y., and came to Michigan with
her parents in 1836. Her parents were farmers, and both died in Rollin,
this county, on the farm they had cleared from a wilderness.
WILLIAM N. PERKINS, of the firm of Sisson, Watson & Co., general merchants at Ada, Kent county, Mich., was born in Mansonville, Brome county, Quebec, November 1, 1858, and is a son of Erastus and Lucy E. (Martin) Perkins, the former a native of Canada and born in 1835, but now a retired resident of Grand Rapids, Mich. William N. Perkins, the eldest in a family of three children, received his earlier education in the common schools and completed his studies in the academy at Waterloo, Quebec. On relinquishing his studies he at once entered upon a three-year apprenticeship at painting and paper-hanging, which he learned thoroughly. In 1878 he came to Michigan and found employment with J.P. Creque, in Grand Rapids, and with him he remained eighteen months; he was next employed in the Sligh Furniture factory for about 4 years, and then for a year was employed in the Phoenix Furniture factory. Mr. Perkins next followed his trade of painter for some time, and then found a situation with Howard E. Converse with whom he remained a year, when he was offered a position under his brother, John F., as solicitor for the Metropolitan Life Insurance company, and this situation occupied another year of his time. He next went south, followed his trade in Arkansas for eighteen months, and then returned to Grand Rapids and for five years was employed by his father in connection with building contracting. At the conclusion of this engagement, Mr. Perkins settled in Ada township and for four years followed agricultural pursuits on a farm that he purchased north of Ada. In November , 1898, he was admitted to partnership as a member of the firm, Sisson, Watson & Co., in general merchandizing and buchering, and in this is prospering rapidly. May 17, 1893, Mr. Perkins was united in marriage, at Grand Rapids, with Miss DORA L. McCROSSEN a native of Michigan and a daughter of David McCrossen. This union has been blessed with one son, who has been christened Benjamin McCrossen Perkins. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins worship at the Methodist church though reared under Episcopal training. Fraternally Mr. Perkins is a Free mason and also a member of Ada lodge, No. 480, I.O.O.F. In politics he is a strong democrat, and is identified with party work and organizations. He has led a life of industry and has had a varied experience, which well qualifies him for his present business, and he has, moreover, made hosts of friends since he has resided in Ada, MI where his is universally respected.
Source: History of Grand Rapids and Kent County, Michigan - A. W. Bowen & Co., 1900
JOHN J. PERKINS. In the month of March, 1818, John Perkins, then a lad of nineteen years old, bought fifty acres of land in the then almost unbroken wilderness of Franklin township, Portage Co., Ohio. This was but one year after the celebrated leap of Brady, the Indian-fighter, who, in escaping from the Indians, jumped across the Cuyahoga River, a distance of twenty-seven feet. Mr. Perkins was poor in purse, but rich in strength of purpose, industry, and energy. He was born in Woodstock, Windsor Co., Vermont, Aug. 17th, 1799, and left his home at the age of sixteen years to seek his fortune. After buying his land he drove a team between Franklin and Pittsburg, Pa, hauling flour to Pittsburg, a distance of one hundred and fifteen miles, and returning loaded with dry goods. This occupation he pursued five years, then went on to farm and commence to clear and improve it. To his farm he added from time to time, until he owned two hundred and forty acres of well improved land, part of which he still owns. He married Polly Ruggles, who died Oct. 16th, 1863. There were born to them eight children, of whom John J. Perkins was the fourth. He was born in Franklin township Dec. 14th, 1827, and grew to manhood on the farm of his father. Like the farmer's boys of that day he was early taught to work, receiving only such education as could be obtained by a few months attendance at the district school during the winter months and a three month term at the Kent Academy. Nov. 13th, 1840, Mr. Perkins was joined in marriage to Miss MARIA L. MARS, daughter of Rev. Adolphus Mars and Harriet (Keyes) Mars. She was born July 10th, 1825, and died April 11th, 1878. After his marriage his father gave him an acre of land, on which he built a house and barn, and where he resided until 1857, working his father's farm, and by that means getting a start in life. He then traded his place for eighty acres of land on section 3, in Prairieville, paying a difference of two hundred dollars. The land was entirely new, but has been cleared and improved by Mr. Perkins. The farm now comprises one hundred and six acres of land, well improved, with good buildings, fences, etc., the result of hard work and rigid economy. In politics Mr. Perkins has always been a radical Republican, as has his father. Since his residence in the township he has most of the time held some one of the town offices. For seventeen years he has been highway commissioner, three terms supervisor, three years township treasurer, and many times a delegate to the county conventions, filling the offices with credit to himself and those who elected him. For many years he has been a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and has held every office in the lodge of which he is a member. There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Perkins three children; Ellen Perkins, Jan. 24th, 1848, died March 19th, 1864; Alice Perkins, March 17th, 1849, married to William H. Scudder, who is now register of deeds of Barry County, and resides at Hastings; and Zylpha O. Perkins, December 5th, 1850, married to Charles H. Ruggles, who served in the Union Army nearly five years, came home quartermaster of the 13th Michigan Infantry, now residing near Prairieville.
Source: History of Allegan and Barry Counties, Michigan
SAMUEL PERKINS, and his wife, ELIZA *(Goldsmith), came to Allegan county in 1860 and in 1871 to Saugatuck, Allegan Co., MI and purchased the home in which they lived and where death claimed them, and for fifty-nine years it has been used by the family, it now being the home of the youngest daughter, Nellie Perkins. Mr. Perkins birthplace was New York, and Mrs. Perkins, Ohio, each lived to be eighty-eight years of age and they were the parents of seven children, three of whom, Anne Perkins, George Perkins and Della Perkins, are deceased, and living are Emma Perkins, Ida Perkins, Henry Perkins and Nellie Perkins. They were hard working, hardy pioneers, and while Mr. Perkins through many years worked in the shipyards and helped hew out many a staunch ship, the good wife always did her share; many can remember seeing her at the spinning wheel, she would card and spin the wool and weave the cloth at her loom. Later she wove carpets, doing her best to please rich and poor alike, and she loved her work and kept weaving until she was eighty. The death of Mr. Perkins in 1911 was the first break in the family circle and Mrs. Perkins followed in 1915.
*Maiden name added by the transcriber*
Early memories of Saugatuck, Michigan, 1830-1930 ... .
Mary Frances Heath
WILSON CHESTER PERKINS. The enterprising business man whose name introduces this sketch is a leading citizen of Winn, Michigan, and since moving to the town has been untiring in his efforts to promote the matters of interest of the same and give it publicity as a desirable place of residence, a fine business point and a favorable locality for the judicious investing of capital. W. C. Perkins is a native of Lenawee county, Michigan, born in the town of Hudson on April 19, 1869. His father, Chester J. Perkins, came to Michigan a number of years ago from New York and settled in Lenawee county where, in due time, he married Charity Smith, later, about 1872, moving to St. Louis, this state, and from that town, in 1874, to Isabella county, of which he is still a resident. Wilson Chester Perkins was three years old when his parents moved to St. Louis and five when they transferred their residence to Isabella county. After spending the ensuing seven years in Coe township, he went to Gratiot county, where he remained fifteen years, during a part of which period he studied pharmacy, having previously obtained a good literary education, graduating from the Alma high school with a creditable record as a student. Having decided to make the drug business his vocation, he devoted two years to the study of the same at Alma and Ithaca and for three years was in drug stores at the latter place and Ashley, making rapid progress and in due time acquiring a thorough knowledge of the profession. In 1896, Mr. Perkins established a drug business at Winn, which from the beginning was very successful, more than meeting his expectations and gaining for him a prominent place among the leading business men of the town. His establishment, one of the largest of the kind in the county, was stocked with every line of merchandise found in first class drug houses and in the management of the same Mr. Perkins displayed business and executive ability of a high order while his proficiency in pharmacy drew to him an extensive patronage in that line, and gave him wide publicity as a skillful and accomplished druggist. On the 5th of September, 1910, Mr. Perkins sold this business to 0. J. Baker and engaged in the general mercantile business, embracing dry goods, groceries, etc., under the firm name of W. C. Perkins & Company. As indicated in a preceding paragraph, Mr. Perkins is an intelligent and enterprising man of affairs whose interest in the growth of his town is second to that of none of his fellow citizens and who has left nothing undone to promote the material prosperity of the community. To him more than to any other man belongs the credit of establishing various public utilities, including among others, the telephone from Shepherd to Winn, to the furtherance of which enterprise he devoted his time and energies until a sufficient number of subscriptions were procured to justify the management in extending the line between the two places and establishing a local exchange at the latter. The Winn Rural Telephone Company, which has been doing business about three years, operates one of the best lines in the state, the management being in the hands of capable and thoroughly reliable business men and the patronage including all of the best citizens of the towns where exchanges are maintained and along the various lines. Mr. Perkins was married on the 5th day of October, 1895, to ALMINA MILLER, who was born in Gratiot county, this state, October 23,1876, the union being blessed with one child, Leon Chester Perkins, whose birth occurred December 19, 1902. Mr. Perkins takes a pardonable pride in the large business which he now commands, and the establishment of which he is the head is certainly a credit to himself and decidedly a valuable asset to the commercial interests of the town. He is an influential worker in several secret fraternal societies, being a member of Cedar Valley Lodge No. 393, Free and Accepted Masons, which he served one term as secretary; is identified with the Knights of the Maccabees at Winn; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at the same place, and formerly belonged to the Knights of Pythias lodge at Ashley, though not connected with the organization at the present time. Interested in all that pertains to the general welfare of the community and keeping in touch with the times on matters of public import, he wields a strong influence for good, and as a business man, neighbor and citizen, is held in very high esteem.
Source: Past and Present of Isabella Co.,
BARTLETT PERKINS, son of George
and Rebecca S. (Goddard) Perkins, was born at Albany, N.Y., January
8th, 1828; came to Macomb, MI with his parents in May, 1831, and located at
Romeo, MI, where he worked for N. D. Taylor; he moved to Richmond Township,
Feb. 8th, 1836, where his father died. Bartlett Perkins resided on a portion
of the homestead lands until 1879, when he moved to the village of Richmond,
MI. He was married, in Jan., 1853, to AMANDA A.
ELLENWOOD, of Jefferson County, New York, two children were born
to them - Franklin L. Perkins, October 29th, 1853, died Feb. 3rd,
1865; and Eddie B. Perkins, born Sept. 13th, 1860. Mrs. Perkins died
July 10th, 1870. Mr. Perkins married Mrs. J. L.
BARNARD (Sutton), born at Stratford, N. Y., Sept. 23rd, 1833, two
whom three children were born, one of whom is living. Mr. Perkins has always
been a successful farmer, and a member of the Republican party.
CHARLES H. PERKINS, son of George and
Rebecca S. (Goddard) Perkins, was born in Richmond Township, MI,
Section 28, May 25th, 1840; the parents were natives of Plymouth, Mass; came
to Macomb County in May, 1831, stopping in Romeo, MI for five years; he
bought eighty acres of land west of the village, also built a house and
shop, where he carried on the cooper's trade; from the village of Romeo he
moved to the Township of Richmond, MI and bought land on Section 28, where
Charles Perkins now resides; their house was two miles from the neighbors,
and several of the elections were held there. The father died August 20th,
1876, at the homestead; the mother still lives, at the age of eighty-one
years. Mr. Charles H. Perkins has always lived on his farm, and was married,
Jan. 5th, 1860, to Miss ADELAIDE SELLECK,
daughter of Ira Selleck, of New York State; they have four children, viz:
Emma J. Perkins, born Nov. 15th, 1860, Mary E. Perkins born July
21st, 1862, Nora L. Perkins born Aug. 6th, 1866, Hiram A. Perkins
born March 6th, 1869. All are living at home. The family have always been
Methodist in form of worship, the mother having been a member of that church
for many years. Mr. Perkins has made the raising of fruit a specialty, in
which he has met with remarkable success, apples, peaches and strawberries
being of extraordinary size and excellence.
LYMAN PERKINS farmer, sec. 14; P. O., Chesaning; was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., June 11, 1812; is a son of Peter and Mary Perkins, natives of Vermont; former was a soldier in the war of 1812, and received pension until his death, which occurred March 3, 1881, at the advanced age of 93 years; Mrs. Perkins died in May, 1872; subject of sketch was reared on a farm, and in 1874, settled on present farm, which contains 70 acres; is Republican in politics; was married Aug. 16, 1851, to NANCY LOCKWOOD, who was born in Ohio, July 13, 1830; is a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Lockwood, natives of New York and Ohio; of 9 children born to them, 8 are livingóMary Perkins, Lucinda Perkins, Lyman J. Perkins, Emily Perkins, Edward Perkins, Benjamin Perkins, Florence Perkins and Laura Perkins; wife's grandfather served in the Continental army, under Gen. Washington.
Source: History of Saginaw County Michigan, By Michael A. Leeson, Damon Clarke, Published 1881 Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Chicago
MARTIN B. PERKINS was born in Saratoga, New York, Feb. 13th, 1811. His father, Christopher Perkins, was born in Providence, Rhode Island, September 8th, 1757, where he resided until he was about twenty years old, when he moved to Saratoga, New York, and purchased a farm, where he lived until his death, March 25th, 1813. He could trace his ancestry back to Newman Perkins, who was appointed justice of the peace by George the IV, of England, and sent to America; he settled in Providence Rhode Island, holding his office until his death, when his son, Newman Perkins 2nd, was appointed to the same office, also holding it until his death. His son, John Perkins 1st, was then appointed, and after his death, Christopher Perkins 1st, was installed. Then came his son, John Perkins 2nd, and it was during his term of office that the Revolutionary war broke out. John Perkins 2nd, was the father of Christopher Perkins 2nd, who was the father of Martin B. Perkins, the subject of this sketch. Christopher Perkins 2nd, was the first of the family to emigrate from Rhode Island. John Perkins 2nd was a soldier in the French war and died near Albany, New York on his way home. Christopher Perkins 2nd married Miss Rebecca Palmer, of Providence, in 1776. They had eleven children. Mrs. Rebecca Perkins was born in Providence, Rhode Island, and died at Saratoga, in March, 1795. In 1796 he married Mrs. Hannah Carpenter, by whom he had seven children, Martin B. Perkins being the youngest child. Mrs. Hannah Perkins was the daughter of Calvin Bishop, of Swanzey, New Hampshire. She was the widow of Greenwood Carpenter, by whom she had four children. Mrs. Hannah Perkins was born in Swanzey, New Hampshire, in August, 1766, and died in Hudson, MI, this county, August, 1859. Martin B. Perkins lived in Saratoga, New York until he was about three years old, when his mother, who was then a widow, moved to Cato, Cayuga county, New York, where he lived until 1828, when he moved to Oswego county, New York, residing there until 1847, when he came to Michigan and purchased a farm one mile south of the village of Hudson, MI. He lived on this farm about four years, when he sold out and went to the village of Hudson, MI where he has resided ever since, except for two years. His health was very poor for several years, and he did very little business until 1867, when he formed a partnership with John M. Osborn and W. B. Ames, and commenced the baking business under the firm name of Osborn, Perkins & Co., and has continued in the business ever since, the firm being now known as Perkins, Thompson & Co. Mr. Perkins commenced live very poor, with a mother and two sisters to support, and for many years followed common labor for a livelihood, working many days for three shillings. He finally got possession of a farm, and by diligence, hard work and prudence, gained a sufficient amount to come to Michigan and purchase a farm. March 17th, 1842, he married Miss MARGARET PERKINS, daughter of Job & Phebe Perkins of Hannibal, Oswego Co., New York, by whom he had three sons, as follows: John C. Perkins, born in Hannibal, Oswego Co., NY, June 6th, 1843. He was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, and a member of the 15th Michigan Infantry. He died in Hudson, MI , from disease contracted in the army, August 27th, 1862. Galusha J. Perkins, born in the same place, March 31st, 1846, now a merchant of Hudson, MI; Moses H. Perkins, born in Hudson, MI, November 29th, 1847, now a book-keeper for Plamondon & Co., of Chicago. Mrs. Margaret Perkins was born in Vermont, December 25th, 1818, and died in Hudson, February 18th, 1850. January 19th, 1853, Mr. Perkins married Mrs. PHEBE S. HALL, of Medina. She was the widow of Alfred G. Hall, and daughter of Asa and Sarah Webster, of Augusta, Grandville county, Canada. Her father was born in Cheshire county, New Hampshire, and served five years as a soldier in the Revolutionary war, in the American Army. After the war he went to Augusta, Canada, where he afterwards lived and "enjoyed the liberty he fought for in the revolution", and also received a pension from the U.S. Government. He died in Augusta, Canada in 1840, aged eighty-one years. January 16th, 1791 he married Miss Sarah Baldwin, of Litchfield, Connecticut, by whom he had fifteen children, Mrs. Perkins being the thirteenth child. Mrs. Sarah Webster died February 24th, 1849, aged seventy-four years.
Source: History and Biographical Record of Lenawee County, MI - Volume I - W. A. Whitney and R. I. Bonner - 1879
FRANK DOAN PERKINS, postmaster at Flushing, MI, was born in Clayton township, Genesee Co., Michigan, September 15th, 1860, a son of Lewis and Rebecca (Doan) Perkins, the former of whom was born in Steuben County, New York, in 1836. Lewis Perkins was only four or five years old when his parents came to this county, settling in Clayton township, Genesee Co., MI, and he spent his youthful years among the early settlers of Clayton township. He became a noted hunter and found abundant opportunity for the exercise of this proclivity, together with satisfaction of his ambition, in hunting the game with which this wild country was so plentifully filled at that time. About 1857 Lewis Perkins married Rebecca Doan, who came to Michigan when very young, or, it is probable, she was born in this state. At least she was reared and educated here and was married here. Lewis Perkins was one of ten children born to his parents and is the only one of these now living. He is living at Colorado Springs, Colorado. The names of his brothers and sisters were; Lyman Perkins, George Perkins, Loran Perkins, Lucinda Perkins, who married Benjamin Rall, who lived to be one hundred years ld, lacking forty-four days; Louisa Perkins, who married Barrett Dickinson, and moved to Indiana; Rebecca Perkins, who married a man by the name of Bennedict, of Rochester, New York, Roxie Ann Perkins, who married Lester Dutcher, a noted New York tobacco raiser; Alzina Perkins, who married William Rall, a pioneer of Genesee county, MI, and died about 1905, and Elmira Perkins who married M. D. Goodrich\Goohich, of Flint, Michigan, and died about 1906. The father of Lewis Perkins was Peter Perkins, born in Vermont in 1786, who was married in that state and came to Michigan about 1837 and settled in Clayton township, this county. He was a veteran of the War of 1812, having served as a soldier in the United States Army for about one year. He died in 1876. His wife, who was MARY PRESTON, born in Vermont in 1792, died in 1870. Frank D. Perkins was reared in Clayton township and was educated in the schools of that township. He also attended the Flushing and Vernon high schools. He taught school for about one year and for three years was employed in the mercantile business. In 1882 he entered the service of the Grant Trunk railroad and continued in that employment for a period of thirty-three years, at the end of which time, in 1914, he resigned to accept the appointment of postmaster at Flushing, MI and is now serving in that capacity. On August 15th, 1884, Frank D. Perkins married DELLA GANNON, who was born in Michigan in 1869 and who graduated from the Bancroft high school. She is a daughter of James Gannon, who was born in Ireland and who immigrated to Canada with his parents when quite young, the family settling in Toronto. Later he came to Michigan, where he married Sarah Walworth, who was born in this state and to this union were born two children, Mrs. Perkins having a brother, Jay Gannon, who is now engaged in the telephone and real-estate business in New York. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have one child, a son, Lavern Perkins, born in Cass county, this state, May 27th, 1887, who was for some years in the railroad service, but resigned on account of his health and went to Florida. Lavern Perkins was educated in the public schools from the Flushing high school in 1905. He then attended the Michigan Agricultural College and was graduated from that institution in 1909. In May, 1913, he married MARIE WISENBERG, of Saginaw county, MI, who was born in 1892, a daughter of John Wisenberg, a native of Germany, who came to America in middle life with his family of six children, and became a prosperous farmer in Saginaw county, making that county his home until his death, which occurred in 1914. Frank Doan Perkins is a Democrat. He has served as a member of the council and also a member of the school board, and, as noted above, is now serving as postmaster of Flushing, MI. He has a farm and is interested in farming and stock raising. His is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. He has been through all the chairs of the chapter except that of high priest.
History of Genesee County Michigan: Her People,
Industries and ..., Volume 2 - By Edwin Orin Wood,
William Vernon Smith
GEORGE W. PERKINS,
Another of the native sons of Calhoun county,
who has done will with his life in a business way is George W. Perkins,
agent of the Standard Oil Company and wholesale and retail dealer in oils,
in Albion, MI, since 1882. For years he was identified as a member of the
firm of Perkins & Steel with one of the leading enterprises in Albion, MI ,
as dealers in coal, wood, flour, feed and illuminating oils, at wholesale
and retail, but after nine years of that association, he withdrew from the
firm, thereafter to confine his attention to the oil business exclusively.
Mr. Perkins is a representative of one of the old and honored pioneer
families of Calhoun county, and was born in the township of Tekonsha, MI
March 30th, 1853. He is the son of Stephen and Mary Ann (Strobe)
Perkins, both natives of New York state,
who moved from that state to Michigan in 1849, locating in Calhoun county.
The father first settled in Marengo township, where he leased a farm for a
time and then bought eighty acres in Tekonsha township, to which he
gradually added until he had one hundred and twenty acres. He improved his
farm constantly, with new buildings and in many other ways as well, so that
with the passing years his farm took on the appearance of the home of a
well-to-do farmer, which, indeed, it was. He resided on the place until
1871, when he moved into the village of Tekonsha, and in 1884, he bought
another farm in the township, on which he continued to reside until his
death in 1885. He was ever an enterprising citizen and a man of energy and
thrift, and a strong man in his convictions. George W. Perkins received the
usual early training of the country boy and his education was commenced in
the districts schools of the community, and continued in the village school
of Tekonsha. He remained on the farm until he was about twenty years old,
and then purchased a team and wagon, when for six years thereafter he was
engaged in draying in the village of Tekonsha, MI. In 1882 he came to Albion
and engaged in the sale of coal, wood, flour, feed and oils, dealing both at
wholesale and retail. As mentioned above, he formed a partnership with one
Francis E. Steel, and this partnership continued for nine years, during
which time they conducted a large local business, as well as shipping to
neighboring towns and cities. After nine years Mr. Perkins bought out his
partner and continued the business alone until he disposed of it to L. C.
McDougall, himself retiring from the firm, thereafter to give his entire
attention to the oil business. He has enjoyed a large and worthy success in
that business as such enterprises are reckoned in a city of the size of
Albion, MI, and has accumulated a goodly quantity of city property,
represented in the main by business blocks and store buildings in desirable
parts of the city. In 1874 Mr. Perkins married first, Miss
She died in 1889, leaving two children: Glenn Perkins,
who died, aged nearly sixteen years, and Elizabeth Perkins,
wife of Louis McDougall, of Albion, MI. He married secondly, in 1890, Mrs.
ELLA (SEARS) HOGLIN.
Mr. Perkins is a prominent Mason, having membership in Murat Lodge No. 14,
F. & A.M., Albion Chapter, No. 32, R.A.M. and Marshall Commandery No. 17. He
is also connected with Moslem Temple of the Ancient Arabic Order of the
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Detroit, MI. Mr. Perkins occupies a leading
place among the business men of the city.