PERKINS FAMILY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES BY STATE
Perkins Research Pennsylvania Biographical Sketches
GEORGE W. PERKINS, bookkeeper, Pittsburgh, PA, son of William and Catherine Perkins, was born in Pittsburgh, PA, in 1841. His grandfather, Thomas Perkins, came from Wilmington, Delaware, in 1803, and settled in Pittsburgh, where he opened the first jewelry store. He was one of the founders of the Bank of Pittsburgh, and one of the most prominent men of the city as early as 1810. He purchased considerable land about 1815, in what is now Chartiers township, to which after the big fire in 1845, he moved; here he resided until his death, in 1855, when he was seventy-three years old. He had been twice married; first to Miss BARCLAY, by whom he had four children - two sons; William Perkins and Thomas Perkins Jr., and two daughters, Eliza Perkins, who became the wife of Abraham Nicholson, of Pittsburgh, and Harriet Perkins, who became the wife of Owen Flanegan; and next to a Miss FITZGERALD, who died in 1858, by whom he had three sons and one daughter; viz: James Perkins, Charles Quigley Perkins, David Jennings Perkins and Hannah Kitts Perkins, now Mrs. Addison Reno. William Perkins was born in Pittsburgh, PA, in the year 1818, was reared to the jewelry and watchmaking trade, and subsequently became a partner in the business with his father. He married CATHERINE SORGUIS, daughter of George and Margaret Sorguis, of Waynesburgh, Ohio, and their children were; Mary Perkins (deceased), Thomas Perkins (taken prisoner and died in Salisbury prison, Dec. 1st, 1864), George W. Perkins, Harriet Perkins, wife of James A. Moore, Sarah Perkins, William Perkins, Catherine Perkins, wife of J. M. Mooney and Henry C. Perkins. William Perkins held many positions of trust in this county, among them that of county commissioner, as did also his father, Thomas Perkins, the same office in 1850, and though not regularly enlisted in the army during the civil war, was very active in his support of the Union forces, and was for some time one of Gov. Curtin's aids-de-camp. His last service was as mail agent on the Ft. W. & C. R. R., and while still engaged in that service, in 1869, he was accidentally killed while out hunting at Lakeville, Ohio, at the age of forty-nine years. George W. Perkins has been twice married, first in January, 1866, to ELIZABETH GILLESPIE, daughter of Robert and Susan Gillespie, and by this union were six children. The living are Gracie Lincoln Perkins, Charles Norman Perkins and Irene Perkins. Their mother died in 1877, and Mr. Perkins next married, in 1882, ISABELLA M. HILL, daughter of Arthur and Margaret Hill. Their children are Lewis Blashford Perkins, George Allen Perkins and Mary Blashford Perkins. Mr. Perkins was a sergeant in an independent company of state militia when the civil war broke out, and in February, 1861, they tendered their services to the government, where accepted, and assigned to the 13th Pennsylvania regiment, three months service. In 1862 he was appointed superintendent of the United States army telegraphic construction corps, but resigned in 1864 and accepted a position in the postoffice at Pittsburgh as stamp-clerk, under Postmaster Von Bonnhorst. Some eight months after, he took a position with the P. R. R. Co., as assistant chief clerk in the freight department. He also had an interest in the confectionery firm of Hill & Perkins, on Wood street, Pittsburgh, PA, and is at present secretary of the Neuchatel Asphalt company, Pittsburgh, PA. Mr. Perkins is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Source: A Genealogical and Biographical
History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania -
Edited by Thomas Cushing
Rev. Dr. R. W. PERKINS - To make the world within his reach somewhat the better for his being, and gladder for his human speech, is an ambition which calls forth a man noblest energies, and in the helpful life of this well-known clergyman it has been brought to full fruition. As pastor of the First Baptist Church of Lock Haven, Clinton Co., PA, he has introduced and maintained numerous movements which have already produced good results, and which promise to wield still greater influence into the future. Dr. Perkins derives his zeal and enthusiasm from a long line of religious ancestors, dating back to the old Brandywine Baptist Church on the battlefield of that name of the Revolution, and covering more than two hundred years. The one branch of his maternal ancestors were of Quaker origin, buying their land directly from Pennsylvania. They became Baptist before 1700, the other branch was a Baptist family from Wales, who in 1755 settled in Chester county, PA. The four sons entered the Revolutionary army in the same company, holding, in order of age, the four highest commissions in the company; one afterward became a Baptist minister. Their descendants have been mostly well-to-do farmers or school teachers, a number were lawyers, some judges of the Courts, principals of academics and highest schools of learning, and college and university professors and ministers of the Gospel. The family was a very large one, and were ardent patriots, but kept out of active politics, and were nearly all Church members. A few years ago, Dr. Perkins was one of sixteen cousins in the Baptist ministry. Joseph Perkins, the father of Dr. R. W. Perkins, of a race of prosperous farmers of Revolutionary stock, lived and died on the farm where he was born, following agriculture as an occupation, and giving in his useful yet quiet existence and example of worthy of the imitation of all men. He died in 1887, and his estimable wife, MARGARET T. FRAME, who was also a native of the same county, died in 1884. Dr. Perkins is the eldest of four children; the others living are; Martha J. Perkins, and Joseph W. Perkins, who reside at the old homestead near Elam, Delaware Co, Pennsylvania. The Doctor's birth occurred March 12th, 1847, and his elementary education was received in the public schools near his home. At the age of eighteen he completed his academic course and engaged in teaching, which he continued for about four years. He then entered Bucknell University, and in 1872 was graduated with the degree of A. B. . In pursuance of a long-cherished wish to enter the ministry, he took a course in the Crozer Theological Seminary, and, after graduating in 1875, he remained there over a year, talking a post-graduate course in philosophy and theology. In the meantime he served as assistant to the pastor of the Upland Baptist Church, and on leaving the seminary was ordained pastor in 1877, of the Third Baptist Church at Camden, N. J., where he spent over ten years. He was very successful in his work, and, aside from his labors in behalf of denominational Church work and Union Sunday-school work, took an active part in the local charitable organizations and in temperance work, serving as president of the Camden County Temperance Society for several years. During this time he was also examiner of Sunday-school books for the American Baptist Publication Society. In 1887 he took charge of the First Baptist Church at Lock Haven, and under his ministrations the spiritual life of the congregation has been quickened and the enrollment increased four-fold, the once crushing debts have all been paid off, the church edifice, a handsome and commodious structure, has been renovated, and everything is in a prosperous condition. Dr. Perkins is an earnest student, especially in theology, philosophy and history, his very large library containing a very fine collection of works on these subjects. Since locating at Lock Haven, he has devoted some time to teaching languages, literature and philosophy in the State Normal School, and for one year he conducted a large Monday-evening union Bible class in the Presbyterian Church. His sympathetic nature, his wide culture and his unfailing energy have made him a helpful factor in all charitable and evangelistic enterprises. He has given much study to hymnology, sacred music and congregational singing, and has been president of the Lock Haven Chorus since its organization. He began advocating a public hospital that culminated in the Lock Haven Hospital. Some years ago his alma mater conferred upon him the Doctorate. For several years he has been chairman of the Book Committee of the Lock Haven Library. In 1893 Dr. Perkins was married to Miss SALLIE E. RHOADS, widely known as a successful teacher in the Lock Haven High School. She belongs to a well-known family, and her father, Joseph A. Rhoads, formerly a student at Bucknell University in its first class, is a highly respected resident of Lock Haven. Her father's family were religious refugees from the Palatinate, early in the eighteenth century, settling in Berks county, Penn. Like the most of the Germans, they kept aloof from the governmental affairs until the struggle for freedom against George III, and then they entered the Revolutionary army. Mrs. Perkins ancestors in three lines fought in the Revolution. One of her great-grandfathers was an officer of distinction. She is a charter member and historian of a successful chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The families of Dr. and Mrs. Perkins were loyal during the Civil war, and rendered all the aid in their power to the government. Both Dr. and Mrs. Perkins took an active part in the flourishing Shakespeare Society, and in the University Extension Society. While Dr. Perkins is a man of affairs, whose advice is widely sought, still his greatest pleasure is in fulfilling the simple duties of the Gospel minister.
NATHAN PERKINS, who was for many years a leading representative citizen of Canaan township, Wayne Co., PA, died December 30th, 1874, on the farm where his widow and children continued to live. He was a native of that township, born on the old Perkins homestead, January 20th, 1829, a son of Harvey and Caroline (Fobes) Perkins. The father was born November 6th, 1797, in New Haven county, Connecticut, in which State his parents, David and Nancy (Todd) Perkins, spent their entire lives, being numbered among the wealthy and influential citizens of their community. The father of David Perkins, accompanied by his brothers, came from England to America at an early day, and took up his residence in the Nutmeg State. Our subject's father was the eldest in a family of six children, the others being Seymour Perkins, a farmer, who died in New York State; Willis Perkins, who died in New Haven, Conn.; Emily Perkins, who married David Lonsberry, and died in Connecticut; Alvin Perkins, a merchant, who also died in that State; and David A. Perkins who died in childhood in Connecticut. At the age of fourteen years, Harvey Perkins began learning the cabinet maker's trade, but after working at that occupation for five years he served a two-years' apprenticeship to the carpenter's trade, and later became quite a prominent contractor and builder, erecting the Methodist Episcopal church in Honesdale, and also two hotels in Carbondale, Penn. In 1854 he practically retired from carpentering, but when past the age of eighty years built a large barn for John Shaffer. Coming to Wayne county in 1821, he ever afterward made his home in Canaan township. In 1822 he was united in marriage with Miss CAROLINE FOBES, who was born January 21st, 1802, a daughter of John and Lida (Baldwin) Fobes, natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively, who were among the earliest settlers of Wayne county, Penn., having located in Canaan township in 1808. After building a log cabin, her father began to clear and improve his land. For many years in early life he engaged in school teaching. Later, as a contractor, he built one mile of the Belmont & Easton turnpike, for which he received $1,000 and three miles of the Milford & Owego turnpike, for which he received $3,000. He invested $500 in the stock of the latter road, but lost it all. For the long period of thirty-five years he most creditably served as justice of the peace in Canaan township, Wayne Co., Pennsylvania. The subject of this sketch was third in the order of birth in a family of seven children, the others being as follows: Thomas C. Perkins, born July 3rd, 1826; was a jeweler by trade, and died on the old homestead in Canaan township, in 1866; Emily Perkins, born in 1828, married Lafayette Davis, a farmer of Kansas, and died in 1851; Alvin Perkins, born in 1834, died in 1852; Anna E. Perkins, born in 1837, died in 1877, George E. Perkins, born January 7th, 1842, is a resident of Waymart, Wayne county, employed on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad. Lucretia Perkins, born April 9th, 1847, is the wife of Dwight Buckland, a brakeman on the Gravity railroad, residing in Canaan township, and a veteran of the Civil war. The mother of these children died May 14th, 1884, the father October 4th, 1887, and both were laid to rest in the Canaan Corner's cemetery. In early days he was a member of the State Militia, and later held several local offices of honor and trust. For five years after starting out in life for himself, Nathan Perkins worked as a carpenter for the Gravity railroad, but with that exception, his entire life was devoted to lumbering and farming. A short time after his marriage he removed to the farm on which his widow lived until her death, and there spent his remaining days. He was a thorough and skillful farmer, and met with a well-deserved success in his undertakings. He was one of the most prominent representatives of the Republican party in his community, and was often called upon to fill local official positions. Honored and respected by all who knew him, no man in Wayne county is more worthy of representation in a work of this kind, and there is none whose name is held in more grateful remembrance. In McKean county, Pennsylvania, Mr. Perkins was married, September 16th, 1857, to Miss MARY A. LASHER, Rev. A. Roberts, a Methodist Episcopal minister, officiating. She was born in that county June 20th, 1834, a daughter of Henry and Lydia (Maker) Lasher, who were born, reared and married in New York State, whence they removed to McKean county, Pennsylvania, where the father followed farming throughout the remainder of his life. He died in May, 1869, at about the age of sixty-nine years, his wife in February, 1859, at the age of forty-five, and both were laid to rest in the Smethport cemetery, McKean county. They were earnest and consistent members of the Baptist Church, and he was a stanch Republican in politics. Their children were Elizabeth S., who married Henry Barrett, and both are now deceased; Eunice, who married Orrin Haven, and both are deceased; Mary A., widow of our subject, who died April 7th, 1899, Laura J., who married Henry French, and both are deceased; Cassie E., wife of George Leonard, a retired farmer of Waymart, Wayne county; Lydia A., deceased wife of Charles Rice, who is living retired in Steubenville, N. Y., and Charlotte, who married George Perkins, a railroad man of Waymart, and died January 9th, 1900. To Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Perkins were born five children, namely; Delazean H. Perkins, died at the age of thirty-one years; Merton A. Perkins, is a school teacher, living a home, Minnie L. Perkins was for a time successfully engaged in school teaching, and is now the wife of D. C. Elliott, a farmer of Cherry Ridge, Wayne county; Herbert Perkins, died at the age of six years, and Cora Perkins, an accomplished musician, now engaged in teaching that art, resides at home. The family is one of the prominence in social circles, and at their hospitable home they delight to entertain their many friends.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Record of Northeastern Pennsylvania
EDGAR A. PERKINS, lumberman and
miller, Shinglehouse, was born in Ceres township, McKean Co., Penn.,
February 20, 1850, and is a son of Benjamin and Polly (Palmer) Perkins,
formerly of Herkimer county, N. Y., and among the early settlers of Ceres
township, where they cleared and improved a farm, on which they lived and
died. They had two children: Isaac Perkins (deceased) and
Edgar A. Perkins.
The subject of these lines was reared in his native town, where he received
a common school education and in 1876 he began the business of lumberman at
Shinglehouse, where he also erected a grist mill and a saw mill, which he
has since successfully conducted. He married LORENA
WHITE, daughter of L. P. and Clarissa (Fisk) White, of Ceres
township, and they have one son, Elmo Perkins. Mr. Perkins is an
enterprising citizen and business man. In politics he is a Republican.
BENJAMIN PERKINS, came to Ceres in 1836. He married POLLY PALMER a sister of Mrs. Henry Smith, the second wife. He bought a farm beyond Henry Smith's on the same road. He was energetic and industrious, and had a good farm and a nice home. He died in 1882, at the age of eighty-seven, and his wife in 1888. Their only daughter, Lurancy Perkins, married Reuben Carter, and died in 1873. Isaac Perkins removed when a young man to Marietta, Ohio, where he died in 1884, leaving three children. Adelbert Perkins (*See Edgar A. Perkins above) is living at Shingle House. He married L. P. White's daughter, and has one son.
Source: The History of Ceres and Its Near Vicinity: From Its Early Settlement in 1798 to the Present by: Mary W. Mann, Maria King (1896)
W. B. PERKINS, farmer, P.O. Newfield, PA, son of William M. and Marissa M. (Dean) Perkins b.? d.1862, was born August 28th, 1861, in Ulysses township, Potter Co., Pennsylvania, on the farm he now owns. His father was a native of Andover, Allegany Co., N.Y., and his mother of Potter county, Pennsylvania. After their marriage they located at Independence, Allegany Co., N.Y., but sold and removed in the spring of 1850 to the farm now owned by W. B. Perkins, in the spring of 1886 his father removed to Sweden township. Mrs. Perkins died in the spring of 1862, leaving three children: Luther L. Perkins, Manson B. Perkins and W. B. Perkins. Mr. Perkins afterward married FANNIE GLOSS, their children being Arthur Perkins and Rosa Perkins. W. B. Perkins made his home with his parents until 1877, when he went to Deerfield, Tioga Co., PA. Determined to secure an education, he worked for $13 per month, and when his father learned of his laudable efforts in that direction, he cheerfully loaned him $800, which enabled him to complete his education at the State Normal School at Lock Haven, and from which he graduated in 1883. While at the State Normal School he joined the Baptist Church, and, becoming interested in the Sabbath-school work, was made its superintendent, and at the county convention, or pic-nic, each superintendent was supposed and expected to deliver a speech; his was so elaborate, and so far beyond what had been expected, that he soon received urgent invitations to attend their theological seminary, at Lewisburg, Union Co., Penn, and after repeated solicitation accepted, remaining a year, when a change in his religious views induced him to sever his association with that institution. After leaving school he located on the old homestead, and engaged in business as a farmer and dairyman. He continued the dairy until the close of the summer of 1888, when he sold his cows and invested the proceeds in horses. Mr. Perkins married MARY A. BIGONY, and they have a family of four children; Guy S. Perkins, Marissa D. Perkins, Sally B. Perkins and Samuel B. Perkins. Mr. Perkins is a member of Lewisville Lodge, No., 556, F. & A.M., and Ulysses Chapter, No. 269, R. A. M. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held various official positions in the township.
Source: History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter,
Pennsylvania J. H. Beers & Co. Publishers Chicago, Ill. 1890
REESE W. PERKINS,
comes of a long line of Baptist ancestry, who
have been members of the Brandywine Baptist Church, Delaware Co., PA, since
the seventeenth century. He was born at Elam, Delaware county, PA March 12th,
1847. He was educated in the public schools, and went to an academy in
Wilmington, Del., with the intention of entering the legal profession. While
there he was converted and baptized March 13th, 1865, into the fellowship of
the Second Baptist church. Soon after he began teaching school. He entered Lewisberg, now Bucknell university, and graduated in 1872, with an oration
of the first class. He then entered Crozer Theological seminary, Chester,
PA., and graduated in 1875. He was ordained pastor of the Third Baptist
church, at Camden, N.J., in 1877, where he remained until he became pastor
of Lock Haven Baptist church, in 1888. Mr. Perkins is a hard working pastor.
He has show excellent executive ability, and is very frequently made
moderator of ecclesiastical councils. For ten years he was clerk of the West
Jersey Baptist association, and of the Camden association. For ten years he
was secretary of the Crozer Alumni association. He was also president of the
Philadelphia Conference of Baptist Ministers. During his Camden pastorate he
was an active member of the executive committees of Union Sunday School and
Temperance work, of the Sabbath association, Law and Order society, and of
the Organized Charity society. In Lock Haven he has for some time conducted
a Union Bible class, that has been highly successful. His church has greatly
prospered under his leadership. Mr. Perkins has a very carefully selected
library of 2,000 volumes. He is a diligent student, widely read in modern
speculations, but is a pronounced conservative in theology.