PERKINS FAMILY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES BY STATE
Perkins Research Misc. State Biographical Sketches
DRAYTON PERKINS was born in Hartland, Connecticut, March 31st, 1812, died in Springfield, Massachusetts, May 15th, 1896, aged eighty-four years. He settled in Springfield at the age of thirty-three, and from May 19th, 1845 till his death, a period of fifty-one years, he lived in the house where he died, in which, until the date of his demise, there had been neither a wedding nor a death. For a number of years he worked at the armory, after which he conducted a machine shop at the South End. He was a foreman of the famous old Lion Engine Company, one of Springfield's first fire companies. His life was thoroughly pleasant and honorable, and he was respected and loved by all with whom he came in contact in business or social relations. He was married, at Long Hill, Springfield, MA, June 13th, 1839, by Rev. Hiram A. Graves, then pastor of the First Baptist Church, to AMANDA MERCY OSBORNE who was born on Long Hill street, April 16th, 1819, and is still living (1909). She was the daughter of Chester and Olive (Waterhouse) Osborne. (See Osborne III). Mr. and Mrs. Perkins celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding June 13th, 1889, at their home No. 11 Garden Street, a house Mr. Perkins built in 1845. There they also celebrated their fifty-fifth anniversary. The children born of this marriage were: 1. Nathaniel D. Perkins, who died young. 2. Hollister Day Perkins, mentioned below. 3. Arthur C. Perkins born April 5th, 1856, died unmarried February 13th, 1907. Hollister Day Perkins, second son of Drayton and Amanda M. (Osborne) Perkins, was born on Long Hill, March 20th, 1848. He was educated at the Central street grammar school and Burnham Business College. After leaving school he became a clerk in the store of his uncle, J. L. Burgess, at Mittincague. Afterward he was a clerk for the Adams Express Company, two or three years clerk for the Connecticut River railroad: clerk at the Wilnoth Hotel, now Park Square Hotel, Westfield, Massachusetts, and the Rockingham Hotel, Springfield. He was engaged in the restaurant business on Main street, corner of Pynchon, ten years, and then proprietor of various hotels which he conducted with success, among which was Hotel Gilmore. The last hotel which he carried on was the Laton House, Nashua, New Hampshire, which he had for three years. At the end of that time he retired from active business. He is member of Roswell Lee Lodge, F. and A. M.. Hollister D. Perkins married in Springfield, December 17th, 1885, HATTIE A. PATTERSON, daughter of Captain S. G. and Hannah Patterson of 18 Franklin street, Springfield. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Stidham. Mrs. Perkins died at Hartford, Connecticut, June 1899. There were no children.
Source: GENEALOGY and PERSONAL MEMOIRS - Relating to the Families of the State of Massachusetts..etc Volume III by: William Richard Cutter, A.M, Assisted by: William Frederick Adams. Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1910
WILLIAM FAWCETTE PERKINS. The period
of rehabilitation immediately following the disastrous fire of 1906 in San
Francisco was one which tested the mettle of the citizenship, and brought
into prominence those men of real worth and courage, and those who possessed
real affection for their city. Numbered among the men of this outstanding
class was William Fawcette Perkins, now deceased, who was for many years one
of the foremost realtors of the bay region, and a man respected and admired
by all who knew him. He was a native son of San Francisco, his birth having
occurred February 20, 1864. His parents were William and Elmira
Clarinda (Fawcette) Perkins, the former born in 1832, and the latter
in 1834. In the famous old Lincoln grammar school in San Francisco, Mr.
Perkins received his education, and throughout his life cherished the memory
of the years he studied in this historic institution. His first work was in
the land office with William H. Mills, and he soon became very interested in
San Francisco real estate. He early learned that the most profitable methods
to earn success in this field were the honorable ones, and through his
active years he rigidly adhered to this policy. Then occurred the earthquake
and fire which razed the city of San Francisco in 1906. Mr. Perkins was one
of those given a badge by Mayor Reuff, permitting him to enter the
devastated area. He perceived in the ashes and ruins of the city a vision of
a greater San Francisco, and he immediately directed his efforts, along with
numerous other loyal sons, toward the rebuilding of the ruined properties.
Mistakes of the past were considered, and the plans for reconstruction and
development were laid down on new plans, modern and designed to meet any
further contingencies. He knew the value of land from his wide experience in
the land office, and judged correctly of its future advance, also chose
wisely in property values among the many buildings which he erected. Among
these structures were the Francisca Club and the Court theater building. He
built and opened the well known Bellevue for Mrs. Barrows, and thus
reestablished the place for her. He never sought political office, or the
public limelight, but proceeded through his career with an even pace, doing
his work thoroughly and well, and so achieved much. On October 31, 1893, Mr.
Perkins was married to Miss GEORGIANA M. MASTEN,
a daughter of Nathan Keyes and Amelia Antonia (Von Faulkenberg) Masten. His
wife was a daughter of Baron Von Faulkenberg, a native of Valparaiso, Peru.
She came to the United States in 1850, and married Mr. Masten in 1851. They
became the parents of fifteen children, of whom twelve lived, and they
resided in South Park, Where most of the children were born. Mr. and Mrs.
Perkins were the parents of three daughters. Ruth Perkins, the first
in order of birth, married Alfred J. Oyster, and they have four children,
Alfred Oyster, Jr., Robert Tubbs Oyster, Ruth Mary Oyster, and Susanne
Oyster. Margaret Perkins, second in birth, married C. C. Trowbridge,
Jr., and they have three children, William Perkins Thowbridge, Thomas Tilden
Thowbridge, and Margaret Trowbridge. Helen Perkins, third and last,
married C. W. Stever, by which union she is the mother of two children,
Martha Anne Stever and Barbara Stever. Mrs. Perkins survives her husband,
and makes her residence at 3298 Washington street in San Francisco. She is
interested in civic matters, and is a member of the Francisca Club and the
Women's Civic Society. Mr. Perkins' religious affiliation was with the
Methodist Church, in which denomination his father had been a minister. He
was a member of the Bohemian Club of San Francisco. His death occurred June
9, 1926, and in his passing the community lost a respected and
representative citizen, typical of the class of men who have brought the
city to its present state of opulence and prosperity in the short space of a
CHARLES A. PERKINS. Was born in
Washington county, Maine, December 31, 1839, and resided at his birthplace
till 1862, receiving his education in the common schools. May 8th of the
last named year he sailed from New York for California, via Panama, arriving
in San Francisco June 22d. He then went to Stockton and worked on a ranch
for nine months. In February 1864, he came to Mendocino county and began
teaming which he followed till he purchased Mr. R. Stickney's interest in
the saw mill at Little River in the fall of 1873 and has since been engaged
in that business. He was married, February 4, 1870, to Miss
NANCY STICKNEY, a native of Kennebec
county, Maine, born March 13, 1850. Their children are, Lillie Dora
Perkins, born February 5, 1873; Freddie Perkins, born December
21, 1874; and Ruel Perkins, born May 29, 1878.
Dr. JOSHUA PERKINS is a descendant of
the sixth generation of John Perkins, who came from Newent, Gloucester
County, England, in 1631, and settled in Ipswich, Mass., and some of whose
descendants settled in Lisbon, Conn., then included in the town of Norwich,
Conn. He was born in Lisbon, Conn., April 16, 1818, attended the common
district school until twelve years of age, and at fifteen taught a district
school, and, as most all teachers did at that time, " boarded around in the
district." At seventeen years of age he was fitted for college at Plainfield
Academy, under the instruction of that excellent and respected teacher, John
Witter, and in the same class that included Dr. Lowell Holbrook of Thompson,
Dr. Elijah Baldwin of Canterbury, and Hon. Albert H. Almy of Norwich, now of
New York, and other classmates from this and other states. He did not enter
college, as did many of his classmates. At nineteen he was chosen captain of
the Sixth infantry company, Eighteenth regiment of Connecticut militia.
Alter serving three years and having no taste or ambition for military
matters he resigned the captaincy of the company. Having followed mercantile
business in the then "far west" for a number of years, he returned to
Lisbon, then, after a few years, he came to Danielsonville, where he has
followed a successful and remunerative practice of dentistry for more than
thirty years. In religion he is a Unitarian, and in politics he can say of
himself, "I am a democrat." He has taken an active interest in local matters
and political questions. He was clerk and treasurer of the borough of
Danielsomrille six years ('57 to '63); was warden of the borough three years
('83 to '86); was registrar of voters in the town of Killingly three years
('69 to '72); was a member of the board of education three years ('77 to
'80); and is now and has been for many years past a town auditor. He was a
delegate to the Union National Convention in Philadelphia in 1866, and a
delegate to the Democratic National Convention at Chicago in 1884, which
nominated President Cleveland, and was by his fellow delegates chosen a vice
president of that convention. Dr. Perkins has long been a recognized and
trusted leader of the democratic party in his town, and is well known in
Windham county as an efficient organizer and worker in the democratic ranks.
He has twice ('83 and '88) received the nomination for state senator in the
Sixteenth senatorial district. Unfortunately for him and the democratic
party he is in a town and a senatorial district dominated by adverse
political conditions, otherwise his well known abilities would have done his
party able service in a broader field than his town limits. As a writer and
speaker Dr. Perkins is direct and effective and is worthy of and has the
confidence of his party.
CHARLES E. PERKINS is descended from
a noted line of jurists, his father, Thomas C. Perkins, and
grandfather, Enoch Perkins, being in their time among
the foremost lawyers of the state. Enoch Perkins graduated from Yale College
in 1781 and was afterwards a tutor in that institution. He became a leader
of the bar in Hartford county. His death occurred in 1828. Thomas C.
Perkins, the father of Charles E. Perkins, graduated from Yale in 1818, the
late Governor Henry Dutton of New Haven being one of his classmates. Mr.
Perkins became the successor of his father, Enoch Perkins, as a leading
lawyer in this city, being the foremost practitioner here for years. He died
in 1870, half a century after his graduation from Yale, honored and revered
by the entire community. The subject of this sketch was born in this city,
March 24, 1832, and was educated at the Hartford high school and Williams
College, graduating from the latter in 1853. He adopted the legal profession
and has been for twenty years one of the most prominent lawyers in Northern
Connecticut. He has devoted his attention principally to civil and patent
suits and is an influential counsel, not only in the courts of Connecticut,
but also in the United States supreme court at Washington. One of his two
sons, Mr. Arthur Perkins, who is a graduate of Yale, is associated
with him in business. The remaining son, Mr. Thomas C. Perkins, is an
electrical engineer. Mr. Perkins is a republican in politics, but is not in
the least sense of the word a politician. The only public offices which he
has held have been the city attorney-ship and the position of water
commissioner. At no time in the city's history has the municipality received
abler service than during Mr. Perkins's term as legal adviser and counsel
concerning its interests. He is a member of the Asylum Hill Congregational
church, and is held in the utmost respect and regard throughout the
community. The family of Mr. Perkins consists of a wife and five children -
two sons and three daughters. Mrs. Perkins, who was Miss
LUCY M. ADAMS of Boston prior to her
marriage, is a descendant of Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams.
Mr. Perkins is a gentleman of exceptional modesty and reticence, both in his
home and among business associates. His professional career from the outset
has been characterized by the highest personal honor and integrity.
N. G. PERKINS. The man who starts in
the world unaided and by sheer force of will, controlled by correct
principles, forges ahead and at length reaches a position of honor among his
fellow citizens, achieves a success that cannot be understood or appreciated
by those who have not passed through such an experience. To a considerable
extent N. G. Perkins is a representative of this class - a class which has
furnished much of the bone and sinew of the country and added to the
stability of our government and its institutions. N. G. Perkins was born on
the 10th day of April, 1886, at Russeville, Kentucky, the son of N. G.
and Safronia (Scruggs) Perkins, members of old southern families. N.
G. Perkins, the father, was a farmer by vocation and a number of years ago
retired from active life, moving to Wynnewood, Oklahoma, where he lived for
several years prior to his death, which occurred in 1922, at the age of
eighty nine years. The maternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch -
Reuben Scruggs, is still living, at the advanced age of one hundred years.
During the Civil war the father and grandfather of N. G. Perkins, the
younger, served in the Confederate army, as did nine of his mother's
brothers - a most unusual record. Owing to the slender finances of his
family N. G. Perkins was thrown upon his own resources at an early age and
when ten years of age he was polishing shoes in a barber shop. In young
manhood he began working in garages and became an expert automobile
mechanic. During practically all of his life since then he has been
identified with garages, working all through the south, middle west, Rocky
Mountain states, Washington and California. In 1917 he and Alvin Yoder were
employed in the same garage in Bakersfield and they finally decided to go
into business together. Selecting Corcoran as their location, they opened
the Corcoran Garage and have been eminently successful in this enterprise,
now enjoying their full share of the local patronage. Energetic and
enterprising, painstaking and conscientious in their work, they have earned
the confidence of the people and prosperity has rewarded their efforts. Mr.
Perkins is also the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of land, which
he has developed into a fine dairy, alfalfa and cotton ranch. He is a member
of the Kings County Cow Testing Association. Mr. Perkins was married to Miss
URSA DAVIS, a native of Chico,
California. She is a lady of fine accomplishments and gracious personality
and is a popular member of the Thursday Club of Corcoran. Mr. Perkins is a
Mason, and belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order. of Elks and the
Knights of Pythias. He has been president and is now vice president of the
Chamber of Commerce and has served on the city council, being now on his
second term. Mr. Perkins is public spirited and gives his unreserved support
to all movements for the betterment of the public welfare. Because of his
accomplishments and his splendid character he enjoys to an unusual degree
the respect of all who know him.
FREDERICK WELLINGTON PERKINS, judge
of the Superior Court of Coconino County, is the son of George H. and
Harriet Wright Perkins, and was born at Milford, N. H., April 15,
1850. The family moved to Springfield, Mass., in 1853, and to Missouri in
1866. Judge Perkins was educated in the public schools of Massachusetts, the
University of Missouri, and the St. Louis Law School of Washington
University. He first practiced law at Kansas City, and also served there as
U. S. Commissioner and Clerk of the U. S. District Court. In 1903 he came to
Arizona and first engaged in banking business with E. S. Gosney as the
Gosney & Perkins Bank, and later engaged in the practice of law in
Flagstaff, where he had located. He has served five years as trustee of the
Flagstaff school district and three years as member of the Board of
Education of the Northern Arizona Normal school, having been a member of the
latter until elected Judge of the Superior Court of Coconino. For several
years he was identified with the Arizona Wool Growers' Association, and
served both as secretary and president. In early life he became a member of
the Baptist Church, and he has been active in church and Sunday School work
for many years. He is a member of the York and Scottish Rite Masons, an
officer of the Grand Lodge F. & A. M. of Arizona, and has been honored with
the office of Worshipful Master and Exalted Ruler; is an active member of
the Knights of Pythias and Elks, and a Son of the American Revolution by
right of descent on both paternal and maternal sides. During the Civil War,
Judge Perkins was too young to enlist, but his father and only brother both
fought on the side of the Union, the former until the close of the war, and
the latter until he met his death in service. During part of the war, Judge
Perkins was employed in the U. S. Armory at Springfield, the youngest person
to hold a position at that place. In 1874 Judge Perkins married Miss
MARY A. THOMPSON at Jefferson City, Mo.,
and six children, five of whom are living, have been born to them. Four of
these are now living in Arizona, and one, Edwin T. Perkins,
superintendent of the Granby Mining & Smelting Company, lives with his wife
and two sons at Granby, Mo. In Arizona are Fred H. Perkins, who with
his wife and five children are ranching in Salt River Valley; Warren O.
Perkins, engaged with his father in the wool growing business; May
Perkins, wife of G. A. Pearson, in charge of experimental work for the
Forest Service in Albuquerque District, and Jephena Perkins, a
Perkins Research asks.........Do you relate to ????: Nellie Bly Perkins b.8-14-1878 NE, daughter of Jacob Perkins b. MS & Nora Thompson b. OH. Nellie Bly Perkins m. Mr. Grant. She resided in Glendale, CA in later years. She died 7-25-1966.
Please contact: Denise Perkins Ready at: firstname.lastname@example.org
B. G. PERKINS, proprietor of the
flouring mill at Woodland, is a son of Frederick F. and Eleanor (Lee)
Perkins, natives of Connecticut, the father a farmer by occupation.
Mr. Perkins of this sketch was born at Niles, Michigan, in 1846; in 1863 he
came to California and was first engaged in keeping books in San Francisco.
In 1871 he started for Lower California with 18,000 head of sheep, but
suffered misfortune and got out with 2,500 head, turning them over to
creditors. He returned to his old home in Michigan and there remained until
1888, when he again came to California to prospect for a permanent home. He
finally selected Woodland, in June, 1889, where he has since run the City
Mill. It is owned by the Bank of Woodland; its capacity is thirty-five
barrels a day, the engine being seventy-five horse power. The expense of
running the mill is $25 a day. It was built in 1860. In 1872 Mr. Perkins was
united in marriage with Miss JOSEPHINE GLOVER,
of Detroit, Michigan.
E. E. PERKINS, was born in Connecticut, but has been a resident of California since 1852, when he came to Yolo county. He has been identified with the town of Capay, California and held the office of Justice of the Peace with credit. Owns 396 acres of valuable land, and is principally engaged in farming
Source: The Illustrated atlas and history of Yolo County, California; Containing a history of California from 1513 to 1850;(1879)
Mrs. Margaret Lovina (Lamb) Perkins, who came to California with her parents, the Lambs, in 1849, died recently in Oakland, CA, where she had gone on a visit from her Woodland home. Her parents first settled in Diamond Springs, CA, then moved to Sacramento, CA, and in 1854 moved to Yolo County, CA and settled in Lamb Valley, south of Capay, CA. In 1860, deceased was married at Sacramento, CA to E. E. Perkins who with five children, nine grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, survives. Mrs. Perkins was a native of Indiana, aged nearly 74 years.
Source: The Grizzley Bear, Volumes 9-11
CHARLES C. PERKINS. Lifelong identification with Sacramento county, CA binds Mr. Perkins intimately with this portion of the State. The earliest memories of life are with him associated with a small village named in honor of his father, for years its leading business man and one of the largest property owners. The family name still is linked with this suburban town, for since the death of the honored pioneer his son, Charles C. Perkins, has succeeded him in the management of the business enterprises in the development of properties at this point. Close as have been the ties to bind him to the village, yet he has found leisure for other activities and has entered into commercial associations with the city of Sacramento, where he is known as the president of a large and growing general store on J street. Inheriting from his father the qualities of energy, business acumen and foresight, he is prepared to meet the manifold emergencies that arise in commercial circles and to surmount the obstacles that throw their gloomy shadows over the path to success. Years ago, when the world became excited over the discovery of gold in California, there was a young man named Thomas C. Perkins, a native of Massachusetts, who joined the hosts of Argonauts seeking fortune beside the sunset sea. Early in the year 1850 he left Galena, Illinois, with an expedition bound for the coast and at the end of a tedious although uneventful journey, he found himself at the famous mines of the west. For a time he devoted his attention to mining, but he soon came to realize that there was greater promise in the land than in the mines; accordingly he entered a large tract of land from the government. For years he engaged in placing the tract under cultivation and making it productive. As people came into the neighborhood he saw the necessity of a general store and therefore became interested in such a business. The settlement, which is five miles from Sacramento, CA is named Perkins, in his honor, and here he died in January of 1901, four years before the demise of his wife; the latter was a native of New York state, but came to California in childhood and here formed the acquaintance of Mr. Perkins. Their union resulted in the birth of seven children, but Charles C. Perkins is the sole survivor of the entire family. Since the death of his father he has been owner and manager of the Perkins store, started in 1882. In addition, he is president of a large mercantile company known as Perkins & Co., incorporated in March of 1907 with himself as manager and president, and J. A. Haitz as secretary and treasurer. Although a leading and prosperous business man and the son of a citizen actively associated with public affairs, Mr. Perkins has never interested himself in politics and prefers to hold himself aloof from all partisan matters. However, his interest in educational matters is so great that he consented to serve as a director of the Sacramento schools and during his four years of service in the office he was characterized by devotion to the work, knowledge of its needs and a desire to increase the usefulness of the city schools. Fraternally he has been a leading local worker in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also has been very prominent in Masonry, being a member of the blue lodge and Knights Templar commandery in Sacramento, CA, the Scottish Rite and Consistory, also Islam Temple at San Fransisco, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
Source: History of Sacramento County, California; with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; Published 1913
WILLIAM DANA PERKINS. Of the pioneer residents of Placer county, CA, none are better or more favorably known than Will Dana Perkins of Rocklin, Placer county, CA. Mr. Perkins is a native of the "Old Granite State", New Hampshire, where he was born in 1831. For many years he was the proprietor of the Pine Grove House, on the Auburn and Sacramento road. This house was distinguished as possessing one of the finest and most capacious dancing-halls in that part of the State, and the grand parties there held are among the most pleasant reminiscences of the people. The genial Perkins was well as being a very popular host, has always taken a prominent part in politics, being one of the leaders of the Democratic partay in Placer county, and has held several offices of honor and responsibility, as has been previously noted in these pages.
History of Placer county, California; with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers. Published 1882
*He was a son of David K. and Margaret (Runnels) Perkins : Read: History of Coos Co., N.H.
HENRY PERKINS, DD (Rev.). Henry Perkins, the son of Eliphaz and Lydia (Fitch) Perkins, was born in Vergennes, Vermont, February 9th, 1796. His father, a graduate of Yale College, was a practicing physician. His mother was a sister of the Rev. Ebenezer Fitch, president of Williams College, Massachusetts. Both his parents were natives of Connecticut and both were exemplary Christians, as were all his ancestors as far as known. In 1798, Dr. Eliphaz Perkins removed West with his family. After a brief sojourn in Marietta, Ohio, where his wife died, he settled in Athens, Ohio. Here the Ohio University is located. Dr. Eliphaz Perkins was for many years a trustee of that young university, since known as the Alma Mater of not a few distinguished men. Here is was that his son, the subject of this brief record, received his academic and collegiate education, and was graduated with the degree of A.B.. He received his theological education in the seminary at Princeton, N.J.. On leaving the seminary, in 1820, he was ordained and installed pastor of the churches of Allenton and Nottingham Square. These churches, small at his coming, under his ministry grew in numbers and strength. New church edifices were erected in both congregations, and each desired to secure the whole time of their pastor. He decided to remain at Allentown, and to the church there, his only pastorate, he ministered for forty-three years. During that time he received into the church between five and six hundred, of whom between four and five hundred on the profession of their faith in Christ. Several revivals of religion blessed his ministry. His manner in the pulpit was solemn and impressive. He seemed never to forget that he was the Lord's ambassador, and on a mission of all the most momentous. He was faithful and affectionate as a pastor, ever seeking the highest good of his people. His mode of address was what is called extempore, but was not without careful preparation. His voice - heavy, clear, far-reaching - was well adapted to pubic speaking. His delight was to unfold the unsearchable riches of the gospel of Christ, and he was perhaps never more happy in this than on Sabbath afternoons in the school-houses of his somewhat widely extended parish, when the people would gather for miles around till the place was often too "strait" for them. Two new churches were erected in the vicinity of these school-houses. As years advanced he considered his strength inadequate to the charge of so large a congregation, and at his request, in the year 1864, the pastoral relation was dissolved. He continued to live among his former people, and for several years to preach as strength and opportunity permitted, often in his old pulpit and always with acceptance. The degree of D.D. was conferred on him by the College of New Jersey in the year 1858. Soon after his ordination he married Miss ELIZA A. REEVE, daughter of Dr. John Reeve, of Rocky Hill, N. J. The prudent forethought, the ever watchful eye and the sympathetic nature of his wife added not a little to the success of his ministry. She was taken from him by death in Nov., 1850. Two daughters, their only children, are still living, one the wife of Honorable James H. Bruere, of Princeton, N.J., and the other the wife of Rev. John H. Pratt, now residing at the old homestead, in Allenton, N.J. Dr. Perkins afterwards married Miss LYDIA NEWBOLD, of Springfield, N.J. She, too, was a helper in the gospel. She died Sept. 20th, 1871. During the last years of his life Dr. Perkins, owing to failing health and strength, was confined the most of the time to his house and study. Here the Bible was his chosen companion and the Scripture promises a constant source of consolation. His death, caused by a sudden and severe stroke of paralysis, occurred June 30th, 1880. May of his old friends, with their children, and children's children, attended his funeral. His remains rest, among his beloved people, in the cemetery near the church, whither they were borne by six of his brethren in the ministry, there to await the resurrection of the just.
Source: History of Monmouth County, New Jersey; 1885
JAMES ELWIN PERKINS - Broad experience as a builder has well qualified James
Elwin Perkins for the conduct of his present business as a building
contractor and his thorough knowledge of the trade combined with his
reliable and progressive business methods have won for him a large share of
the patronage of the public. He was born at Stetson, near Bangor, Maine,
April 22nd, 1871, a son of Joseph H. and Emma (Randall) Perkins, the former
also a native of the Pine Tree State, while the latter was born in New
Hampshire, both being representatives of old and prominent New England
families. The father followed the sea for many years, acting as second mate
on a ocean-going vessel He passed away at the age of sixty-six years and the
mother afterward removed to Lynn, Mass, and in the grammar schools of that
city her son, James E. Perkins acquired his education. In 1888 he removed to
San Jose, Cal. learning the carpenter trade under Mr. Damon. He then
followed his trade, working ten years for Mrs. Winchester, after which he
became foreman for Z. O. Field, a prominent Santa Clara County contractor,
being in charge of the construction of the Y. M. C. A. building, the Alum
Rock Natatorium, the Horace Mann School building, the Christian and
Methodist Churches and other public edifices. After seven years as foreman,
he served his connection with Mr. Field to enter the building field on his
own account and is now specializing in the construction of first-class
bungalows. Long experience enables him to intelligently direct the labors of
those whom he employs and he uses none but the best of materials, erecting
substantial as well as attractive dwellings. He displays sound judgment in
the management of his interest and his business has enjoyed a rapid growth,
so that he now ranks with the leading building contractors of San Jose, Cal.
His operations are not alone confined to San Jose and vicinity, but he has
also constructed residences in Los Gatos, Santa Cruz and Hollister, Calf.
Mr. Perkins resides with his mother, who is still vigorous and active at the
age of seventy-eight years. They own two residences on Thirty-fourth and
Santa Clara streets, where they make their home. Mr. Perkins built one of
the first houses in this district, being one of the first to purchase lots
on Alum Rock Avenue. A Republican in politics, he is identified with the
Good Fellows Lodge, No. 1, of San Jose, Cal. He is a member of the Builders
Exchange and the Chamber of Commerce also receives his support. Throughout
his career he has closely applied himself to the work in hand and as the
years have passed has gained that expert knowledge which makes him an
authority in his line of work.
ANDREW F. PERKINS, lives two miles north
of Colville, WA and is a substantial and upright citizen of the valley. He
is justly entitled to be represented as a defender of his country as the
following will testify. He was born in Enfield, Maine, on August 15th, 1833,
the son of Ansel W. and Lydia R. (Buck) Perkins, natives of
Maine, where they remained until their death. The father was a contractor
and builder and very active in educational matters. Andrew Perkins was well
educated in his native place and at fifteen started out for himself in life.
His father died when he was eleven and his mother when he was fourteen. He
came to St. Cloud, Minnesota and there remained until the breaking out of
the war. At that time he was very quick to respond to the call to defend the
flag and his name was enrolled in Company C, First Minnesota Infantry and in
October, 1862, he was transferred to the first United States Cavalry. The
following is a partial list of the battles and skirmishes in which Mr.
Perkins took part. In the year 1862, we have first, Berryville in March,
Charlestown in March, Yorktown, in April, Westpoint in May, Fair Oaks in
June, Savage Station, White Oak Swamps, and Malvern Hill in July, second
Bull Run in August, and Antietam in September. In 1863 we have the following
list: Kellys Ford in March, Beberly Ford and Uperville in June, Gettysburg,
Williamsport, and Falling Water in July, Brandy Station and Culpepper
Courthouse in August. In 1864 we have the following list: Rapidan River in
February, Charlotville in March, Wilderness in May. Sheridan's Raid around
Richmond and Milford station, also in May, Cold Harbor, Trevilliam Station,
Gordonsville and Whitehouse in June, Blackwater and Deep Bottom in July.
Winchester and Newtoron in August. In the latter skirmish he was wounded and
lay in the hospital for five months. On January 10th, 1865, he was honorably
discharged and returned to Minnesota. He farmed near St. Cloud until 1885
and then came to in to St. Cloud and in 1897 came to Stevens county,
Washington and bought his present place. In 1865 Mr. Perkins married Miss
MARY E. CHAMBERLAIN, whose parents were
natives of Maine. Our subject has the following brothers; Daniel F.
Perkins, killed in the war; Edwin Perkins and Nathan W.
Perkins, died when young. Mrs. Perkins had one brother, William H.
Chamberlain. The following children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Perkins;
Inez J. Perkins, Lena L. Perkins, Stanley Perkins,
Mable M. Perkins, Gertrude A. Perkins, Maxon Perkins,
William Perkins. At Saint Cloud, Minnesota, on Nov. 18th, 1893 Mrs.
Perkins was called hence by death. She was aged fifty-five. Mr. Perkins is a
member of the A.F. and A.M. and a member of the G.A.R. He is a Republican
and has held numerous important offices both in Minnesota and in Stevens
county, Washington. Mr. Perkins is greatly interested in educational matters
and is at present serving on the school board.
J. T. PERKINS, a prosperous real estate dealer in Pryor Creek, OK, was born in Franklin county, Missouri, January 20th, 1854, a son of W. B. and Phoebe (Haigles) Perkins and their only living child. W. B. Perkins, born August 25th, 1826, in Louisa county, Virginia, moved to Missouri when about eight years of age, and is now living at Fayette, MO. He was formerly engaged in agricultural pursuits. Phoebe Haigles, born March 29th, 1816, died on the 3rd of March, 1894. They were married on the 1st of January, 1851, and of their three children, the two daughters died in infancy. J. T. Perkins attended the public schools and later the Central College at Fayette, MO in Howard county, Missouri, and after leaving the school room he engaged in farming and stock raising. His life previous to the year 1909 was spent in his native state of Missouri, and coming then to Pryor Creek, in Oklahoma he embarked in the real estate business, investing in both city property and farm lands, and he has been very successful in all his undertakings and is one of Pryor Creek's enterprising and public spirited citizens. On the 6th of November, 1879, Mr. Perkins was married to NETTIE BOWMAN, from Henry county, Missouri, and she died in 1897, after becoming the mother of four children: Susie Perkins, born Feb. 5th, 1884, and living at Fayette, Missouri; Benjamin Perkins, born in 1887, married Anna Overall and is living at Broken Arrow, Oklahoma; Phoebe Perkins, born in 1892, is living with her parents in Fayette, MO; and Alla Perkins, who died in 1885, at the age of three years. On the 3rd of Jan., 1899, Mr. Perkins married IDA GRAY, from St. Louis, MO, and their four children are: Joseph Perkins, born Feb. 16th, 1900; Paul Perkins, born Oct. 7th, 1902; Marguerite Perkins, born Nov. 1st, 1905; and Emory Perkins, born May 3rd, 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are now living at Fayette, MO, to afford their children better educational advantages.
Source: A History of the State of Oklahoma, Volume 2 - By Luther B. Hill -1909
PERRY C. PERKINS, a drayman in Waitsburg, WA, was born in Iowa Dec. 13th, 1868. He attended the local public school, and worked betimes on his father's farm until about nineteen, then decided to try his fortune in the west. Accordingly he came to this county, located at Waitsburg, WA, rented land, and began farming. For the ensuing five years he was a successful tiller of the soil here, then he tried the same occupation in Idaho for a year. In 1893, however, he went to California, where for about four years he worked on the John Bidwell farm, near Chico. Returning then to Waitsburg, WA, he engaged in the transfer business, and to that he has devoted his energies ever since. By his careful attention to the interests of his customers and strict application to business he is building up a very good trade. He is one of the solid and substantial men of Waitsburg, WA, and enjoys an enviable standing among the people of that city. Mr. Perkins was married in Waitsburg, WA, June 15th, 1896, to Miss INY MITCHEL, a native of Washington, and a member of the pioneer family. They have three children; Voyle L. Perkins, Eldon M. Perkins and Ethel M. Perkins.
(1918) - Volume 1
(1918) - Volume 2
CHARLES J. PERKINS,
attorney-at-law and an active member of the Southern California bar, came to
the State in 1883, and the following year located in practice in San
Bernardino, CA. He was born in the Empire State in 1856, but his father,
F. J. Perkins, moved with his family from New York to Illinois in
the fall of that year, and purchased a farm, on which they settled. In 1877
young Perkins started out in railroad business as an employ'e in the
operating department of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. At that time train
robberies on the western frontier were much more frequent than now, and
assaults by desperadoes upon trains supposed to carry valuable treasurer
were not uncommon. Mr. Perkins had some thrilling experiences with this
lawless class. While serving as conductor on that line; and on one occasion
observing that the train was not properly controlled, he went forward to the
engine and found the engineer and fireman both dead in the cab, having been
shot while at their post of duty by men in ambush. He also filled the
position of traveling auditor during his connection with the Denver & Rio
Grande Company. Deciding to make the legal profession his life-work, Mr.
Perkins entered Wisconsin University at Madison and graduated in the law
department of that institution in 1882. Soon after graduating he married
Miss EDITH COLLINS, of Rochelle,
Illinois. In 1883 he came to the Pacific coast, as one of the
attorneys for the Northern Pacific Railroad, under the Villard management,
and when that magnate lost control, Mr. Perkins was succeeded by a friend of
the new management. He visited the most desirable points on this coast
before selecting San Bernardino, CA as his choice, and since settling here
has devoted his attention to mining and commercial law, making a specialty
of the former, and has been connected on one side or the other with nearly
every important mining suit tried in this part of the State during the last
five years. He is an active, energetic man, and is an indefatigable worker
in any cause he undertakes. In addition to his law practice, Mr. Perkins has
been instrumental to a large extent in developing the grand artesian water
supply of the San Bernardino valley, having sunk many of the hundreds of
fine, flowing wells in that county. Mr. Perkins is a member of the San
Bernardino County Bar Association.
WILLIAM PERKINS, a farmer of Bell County, TX, was born in Davidson county, Tennessee, Aug. 22nd, 1836, a son of David T. Perkins, a native of the same State and a mechanic by trade. He came to Bell county, Texas, in 1861, settling on Little river, where hw as a farmer and slave-owner. He married Miss Emmaree Clark, daughter of George S. Clark, a native of Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have five children; George D. Perkins, a farmer of Bell county, TX; William Perkins, our subject, J. A. Perkins, who served through the late war, and is now a resident of California, Martha Perkins, who married Mr. Herne, and both are now deceased, Sarah F. Perkins, deceased, was the wife of J. O. Collins, Sophia Perkins, wife of T. Peoples, of Falls county, TX, and Samuel Perkins, who died at Temple in 1883, from injuries received on a train of cars. The mother died in 1866. William Perkins came to Bell county, TX, in 1856, where he was engaged to run cattle. In 1858 he joined the State Rangers, with whom he remained six months, and during that time participated in no regular battles, but had many runs after Indians. After leaving that company he was engaged in fighting the Indians on the frontier until 1861, when he joined Company H., Sixth Texas Cavalry, which was the first company to leave the county. Mr. Perkins served in Texas, Missouri, the Indian Nation and Arkansas, and participated in the battles of Elk Horn, Corinth and Farmington. His command was then attached to the Army of Tennessee, in which he served to the close of the war. He received flesh wounds four different times, was captured at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, and with three others was carried to Nashville, next to Louisville, thence to Indianapolis, afterward to Chicago, and then to Harrisburg. He was finally exchanged at City Point and returned to his command, and while in north Alabama was again captured, but escaped from his guard the same night. Mr. Perkins was at home on a furlough at the time of the surrender, after which he spent six months in Mississippi, where he was engaged in the cotton business. After returning to this State he engaged in stock-raising until 1870, when he purchased 300 acres of his present farm. He has since added to this place until he now owns 1,000 acres, 600 acres of which is cultivated to cotton and corn, and on which he has nine tenement houses. Mr. Perkins was married in 1866, to Miss SEABELL GRIFFIN, who was born in 1842, a daughter of Moses Griffin, a native of Alabama. The later came to Texas in the early '40's and was among the pioneer settlers of Bell county, Texas, where he remained until death. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have eight children, viz: Mary Bell Perkins, at home; Laura A. Perkins, D. A Perkins; Myrtle Perkins, who was accidentally killed by the discharge of a pistol at the age of seven years; William M. Perkins; Wade Perkins; Harry L. Perkins and George Perkins. Mr. Perkins is a Democrat in his political views.
Source: Memorial and Biographical History of McLennan, Falls, Bell and Coryell Counties, Texas - Volume 2 (1893)
manufacturer, of Nasonville, RI, was born in the town of Trowbridge,
Wilshire, England, March 17th, 1842. His father Joshua Perkins,
was a shoemaker by trade, but young Perkins, after ten years of age, left
his employ and went to work in a woolen mill, where he remained as long as
he stayed in that country. Realizing that his only capital was his labor,
his thoughts naturally turned toward this country, where he was informed the
munificent sum of one dollar a day was actually paid as wages to common
laborers. At the age of 17 he found himself possessed of sufficient means to
make the ocean voyage, and on the 16th of March, 1859, he embarked in the
"Western Empire" at Liverpool, for the United States, and after a 45 days'
sail landed in Boston. With no surplus money in his pocket to spare, he
immediately set out for Pascoag, where he at once found work as a common
hand for James O. Inman at $16 per month. The next year he was advanced by
his employer, and made overseer of the finishing room, a position he held
while he remained in Mr. Inman's employ. In 1862, he became overseer of the
Granit Mills, and remained there three years. In 1865, he was employed by
James Legg & Co., as overseer for their two mills, and remained with them
till 1871. In 1872 Mr. Perkins began business for himself, leasing a little
mill in Mohegan for the manufacture of shoddy, but soon returned to
Mapleville to serve in his former capacity, where he remained till 1877. In
the meantime he established a store in Nasonville, which he still owns and
operates under the style of J. Perkins & Co. In 1886, Mr. Perkins was
induced to undertake a still greater venture. The mills of Nasonville had
been idle for a few months, seeking some suitable business man to leas the
property. These mills had never proven a success, and failures had become
frequent. Mr. Perkins undertook the enterprise, began the manufacture of
fancy cassimere and worsteds in a four set mill of 20 broad looms, and his
business has so prospered that the mill has been increased to 33 looms, and
the prospects are sufficiently bright to warrant the leasing of the White
Mill at Pascoag, to take effect the 1st of August, 1890. The business at the
White Mill is conducted under the style of the Perkins Manufacturing
Company. About 250 hands are employed. Henry W. T. Mali & Co., New York, are
the selling agents for these mills. Mr. Perkins was married Feb. 7th, 1863,
to Miss EMILY GULICK. He has had one
son, Fred W. Perkins, now a member of the Perkins Manufacturing
Company, and one daughter, Ruth E. Perkins, who died in 1889 at the
age of 15 years. Mr. Perkins is a man of public spirit, but no office
seeker. He has been assistant postmaster and postmaster of Nasonville since
1877, trustee of the public schools for many years, and at one time a member
of the town council. Mr. Perkins is a successful business man and a genial,
FRANCIS M. PERKINS. - The parents of the subject of this biography were Josiah and Melintha (Smith) Perkins, whose children were; Anna M. Perkins; Andrew J. Perkins; Jane M. Perkins; Francis M. Perkins; Charles H. Perkins; Eliza J. Perkins and Louisa A. Perkins. Francis M. Perkins was born in Middleboro, MA, July 25th, 1839, and while yet a child removed with his parents to Woonsocket, Rhode Island. On completing his education in the public schools, he assisted his father in the book and periodical business. Subsequently entering the grocery trade with Daniel A. Cook, he continued this business association for several years, and later formed a co-partnership with George C. Wilder in the same branch of trade, in both of which ventures he was very successful. In 1868 he was made treasurer of the Woonsocket Rubber Company, and continued in this position until his death, May 10th, 1885. On assuming this responsibility the capital stock of the company , in which he was a shareholder, was $1,500,000. Mr. Perkins was also a stockholder in the Bailey Wringing Machine Company, and a director in both the Woonsocket National Bank and the Woonsocket Institution for Savings. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and connected with the Morning Star Lodge, No. 14, of that Order. In all his undertakings, whether of a business or social character, he displayed remarkable energy, was faithful to every trust, honest in his dealings and efficient to a remarkable degree in his undertakings. Active yet quiet in all his works, he moved still onward to success with a determination and a purpose that were praiseworthy in the highest degree. He knew no faltering steps and walked not in doubt or fear. Discerning what he undertook with a clear vision, and guided by the unflinching courage of his convictions, he accomplished his work. Mr. Perkins felt great interest in the Universalist church and Sunday school, in the former of which he was leader of the choir, and in the latter musical director and librarian. He was also a member of the prudential committee of the society. A keen lover of music, many of his musical compositions were rendered in connection with the church festivities, and received with many marks of appreciation. Mr. Perkins was married December 19th, 1865, to ELLA F. WILDER, daughter of George C. Wilder, of Woonsocket, RI. Harold W. Perkins is the only survivor of three children.
RICHARD C. PERKINS, a pioneer of Logan County, Colorado, where he owns and occupies a ranch near Sterling, CO, was born in Fayette Coutny, Tennessee, March 8th, 1842, a son of Richard C. and Martha O. (Gibson) Perkins. He was one of eleven children, five now living, namely; Elizabeth Perkins, the widow of John O. Graves, of Grand Junction, TN; Sarah E. Perkins, widow of R. E. Smith, of Logan County, CO; Richard C. Perkins; Catherine Perkins, wife of Dr. Turner Milan, of Texas; and Mattie Perkins, Mrs. M. S. Smith, of Grand Junction, TN. The father, a native of Middle Tennessee, born in 1801, was only a small child when his parents died, he was reared by a neighboring farmer. who cared for him until he attained manhood. He then went to Alabama, where he married, shortly afterward returning to Tennessee and settling in Fayette County, where he purchased from Mr. Gordon a farm which the latter had bought from an Indian, Beatly. Here he remained until his death, in 1854. The education of our subject was obtained in district schools, the Newcastle (Tenn) Academy, (where he studied for one term) and Bethel College, at McLemoresville, TN, where he spent two terms. The continuation of his studies was interrupted by the outbreak of the Civil war, when he was attending the Baptist University at Murfreesboro, TN. About that time his older brother, who had been in charge of the plantation, died and he was called home to assume the management of the estate. In the spring of 1862, he went to Virginia and enlisted in the Nineteenth Mississippi Infantry, C.S.A. (having a brother who was a member of this regiment). He joined Company H at Yorktown. The regiment skirmished there for some days, then fell back to Williamsburg, where his brother, John C. Perkins, was killed. Thence they marched to Richmond, where he took part in the siege, and also in the battle of Malvern Hill, where he was wounded seriously. For three months he was confined in the hospital at Richmond, after which he was given a furlough of a year. Upon the expiration of the furlough, he being incapacitated for duty in the infantry, joined Forest's cavalry in northern Mississippi. Their first engagement of consequence was the capture of Fort Pillow. After many minor engagements, in which he bore a part, in the spring of 1865 he returned to Virginia and joined his old regiment, then located in the trenches between Richmond and Petersburg. He was just to the right of the point where General Grant blew up the Confederate works by undermining them. He took part in the battle that followed, in which the Confederates succeeded in holding their lines. Later he was a participant in engagements at Weldon Road. After the surrender Mr. Perkins went home, it taking about one month for him to walk from Farmville, where Lee surrendered, to his Tennessee estate. There he found nothing but desolation. All was laid waste. However, he was cheered by the fact that many of his former slaves remained to welcome him home and they continued with him as long as he was on the old plantation. After his mother's death, in 1866, he purchased the interests of the other members of the family in her share of the estate, with the intention of making his permanent home amid the scene familiar to him from his earliest recollection. However, in 1873, he decided to come west, so, selling his place, he removed to Colorado, arriving in Greeley, CO, April 1st of that year, in company with three other families. He rented land in the vicinity of Greeley, the four families being in partnership, in order that some of the men could look after the farming interests while others were inspecting the country for a suitable permanent location. In June of the same year our subject came to Logan county, CO, and was so pleased with prospects that he decided to settle here, and the other families came with him. In February, 1874, he proved up on his present home ranch as a pre-emption and later homesteaded an additional one hundred and sixty acres, four miles east of Sterling, CO. Upon that homestead he made his abode for eight years, after which he removed to his present place, one and one-quarter miles southwest of Sterling, CO. He here is engaged in farming and the stock business. During the early days of his residence in Logan Co., Mr. Perkins experiences all the hardships and privations of life on the frontier, far from civilizing influences. It was difficult to obtain the bar necessities of life, and comforts were not expected. During the long period of his residence here he has always worked to promote the welfare of the community and has done much to interest strangers in settling in this locality. He was one of the prime movers in the building of the Sterling Irrigation Company's ditch, which was the first ditch taken out in this section, and he had the contract to build the first six miles of the ditch. The company was organized in 1873, with himself as treasurer, and from that time to the present he had held different positions on the board of directors. For a number of years he acted as postmaster here, the mail route being from Greeley to Julesburg and trips being made twice a week. In politics he is now a staunch Prohibitionist, voting with that party. With his wife and family he holds membership in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Sterling, CO. In 1868 Mr. Perkins married Miss CORNELIA C. DAVIS, a native of Marshall Co., Mississippi, and daughter of Hugh Davis, who at one time owned all of the land in his section, including the present site of Michigan City. Nine children were born of this marriage, and seven are living, namely; Sallie O. Perkins, wife of Walter I. Brush, who is engaged in the livery business at Sterling, CO; Hugh R. Perkins, who is engaged in the drayage business at Sterling, CO; May E. Perkins, a graduate of the Sterling high school and now a teacher in the public school here; Charles A. Perkins, Carrie Perkins, Margaret Perkins and Lester Perkins, who are at home.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of the State of Colorado, Part 2
ELISHA M. PERKINS, the well-known mayor of Evans, CO, and the genial and popular proprietor of the Perkins Hotel, was born in Tazewell County, Illinois, December 17th, 1833. His father, Elisha M. Perkins, Sr., was probably a native of Virginia, but spent his youth in Kentucky, and removed to Illinois at an early day, becoming one of the pioneer settlers of Tazewell County. He engaged in farming and dealing in the fine stock, and also conducted a shoe store for a time. About 1841 he laid out the town of Circleville upon his land in Illinois, erected a large hotel, which he conducted for several years, while the community around him grew to a thriving country town. He was one of the best-known men in that part of the county, and was an ardent Democrat in politics, took an active part in the presidential campaign of 1840, and served as deputy sheriff of Tazewell County, Ill for one term. He died at the age of fifty-nine years, near Des Moines, Iowa, where he lived for a few years. He had also spent three years in Warren County, MO, after which he removed to Iowa, where he was engaged in the milling business. He married Susan Baker, of Kentucky, and to them were born eleven children, but only five are now living: Isaac N. Perkins, a resident of Indian Territory; Daniel Perkins; Zedec C. Perkins, of Nebraska; Artemecia Perkins, widow of William McGee, and Elisha M. Perkins. The wife and mother died at about the age of seventy. Our subject obtained the greater part of his education in an old log school house in Iowa. Leaving home at the age of sixteen he went to Des Moines, Iowa, where he spent a few years with a cousin, and then returned to the parental roof. He worked on the home farm and with his brother, Isaac N. Perkins, operated his father's mill. In 1851 he went to Adams County, Ill, on horseback, and spent the summer with his brother, Zedec C. Perkins. In 1852 he went to Pike County, that state, and began learning the carpenter's trade, which he followed until 1859. In the spring of 1854 he bought a piece of land in Marion County, Iowa, and gave some attention to farming for two years. While at that place his first wife died, May 22nd, 1854. Mr. Perkins then returned to Warren County, Ill, and with his brother, Isaac N. Perkins, rebuilt the old mill, which he sold on its completion. In the winter of 1856 he went to Kansas, where he erected houses for sale, and served as constable of Capioma, Nemaha Co., KS. In 1860 with his brother, John W. Perkins, Stephen Shelton, J.S. Dunbar and H. C. Stanley, he started over the plains to Denver, CO, arriving there on the 22nd of May. A few days later he went to Central City, where he engaged in mining, but after the Civil war broke out he returned to Denver and enlisted. He only remained there for a few weeks, however, when he again went to Central City and resumed mining. A few weeks later he returned to Denver and started for home by the way of the Platte River, but when near that city the boat capsized and he lost all his belongings. In company with two other men he started out on foot looking for works and proceeded down the South Platte to its mouth, where he was employed on a farm that summer. In 1862 he again went to Denver, acting as cook for the wagon train of Garrison & Hulbert, and the following winter worked on the ranch of N. H. Gage. While there he married his present wife, MARGARET JANE HOOVER, daughter of C. J. Hoover, of Denver, CO. He then bought a ranch on the Platte River, on the main state line between Denver and Julesburg, and successfully operated the same for two years, but in 1864 was driven away by the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians, who killed two men. Going to Fort Wicket he entered into partnership with Holan Godfrey, and together they conducted a ranch until the Indian massacre Jan. 16th, 1865, when the red men drove off their stock. That spring he returned east after his family, and on again coming to Colorado, in the fall of 1865, he settled on his old ranch on the Platte, his brothers, D. R. Perkins and J. W. Perkins, being with him. In partnership with J. S. Dunbar he opened a stage station at Bijou Creek, which they conducted about a year in connection with the ranch. Mr. Perkins then took charge of the home stage station for Wells, Fargo & Co., sixteen miles distant. After spending the winter of 1868-69 in Denver, he took up government land at Godfrey Bottom on the Platte River, where J. S. Dunbar now lives, and there carried on farming and stock-raising, dealing in fine eastern cows. In 1871 he removed to the town of Evans, CO, and the next year opened the Gerry Hotel, which he conducted one winter. The following year he was engaged in the livery business in St. Louis Valle, and in 1874 was appointed deputy sheriff of Weld County, CO, under David C. Wyatt, being reappointed under Joseph McKissock two years later. Since retiring from that office he has been interested in the hotel and livery business in Evans, CO, and he and his wife have become the owners of some good residence property in that place. To Mr. Perkins and his second wife, one child was born, a daughter, Ida M. Perkins. She became the wife of Albert Huffsmith of Evans, CO. Mrs. Huffsmith died in 1890, leaving two children, Jesse B. and J. Miller Huffsmith, who are now living with their grandfather, our subject. As a Democrat, Mr. Perkins has taken quite an active and prominent part in local political affairs, and has been honored with several official positions of trust and responsibility. He served as county commissioner for three years, and as a trustee of Evans, CO for three terms, and in April, 1898, was elected Mayor, which office he is now filling with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. At one time he was nominated for sheriff of Weld County, CO, but withdrew in favor of James Bailey, an old friend. As a citizen he stands ready to discharge every duty devolving upon him, and he has proved a most faithful and popular official.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Denver and Vicinity, Colorado
Charles Clark Perkins was educated in the common schools. At the age of seventeen, after gaining some experience in mercantile pursuits in his father's store, he went to Providence, R.I. where he was employed in a wholesale gentlemen's furnishing store in the several capacities of salesman, entry clerk, and commercial traveler. While in Providence he supplemented his early education by taking a business college course. Later, on account of his father's failing health, he returned home, and took charge of the latter's business. in 1885, when Johnson & Shurts opened their New York store in New London, CT, he came here, at the same time retaining his interest in his father's business. After serving as second salesman in the new establishment for four years, he embarked in the hat and furnishing business. In April, 1889,he bought out George W. Meeker, hatter and finisher. Owing to the smallness of the store, he gave it the name of "Hat Box". His stock comprised hats, caps, and furnishings __. So successful did this enterprise prove that two years later, when the new Cronin block was completed, he moved from the "Hat Box" to the "Hat Place". Two years later he established a branch in Norwich, CT, buying out ___ C. Clark. This place was conducted under the style of Perkins & Montgomery, until he withdrew from the connection in 1894. Next year the firm of C. C. Perkins & Co., was formed by the consolidation of the Hat Palace and the old establishment of Shepard & Harris. S. E. Tyler was admitted to partnership, and the firm opened their fine store at 130 State Street in November, 1895. Mr. Perkins has been remarkably successful in business. Mr. Perkins is Past Grand Mohegan Lodge, I. O. O. F., and Chief Patriarch of the encampment; a member of Sprague Lodge, A. O. U. W., of which he is Overseer; Past Leader of the Home Circle, a member of the Jibboom Club and of the Sons of the American Revolution, and President of the New London Business Men Association. On November 27th, 1887, he was married to Miss HATTIE S. FISH, of Noank, CT. They have one child, Alice Tyler Perkins, who was born March 23rd, 1891. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party. In religion he is a member of the Second Congregational Church. His musical ability has led him to become a chorister in his own church, and also of the Third Baptist Church. For four years he was the treasurer of the Young Men's Christian Association. Mr. Perkins is also a trombone soloist of unusual ability, having played that instrument for five years in the theatre with Wight's Orchestra. The family reside in their pleasant home, 88 Huntington Street.
Source: Biographical Review - Volume XXVI - Containing life sketches of leading citizens of New London County - Connecticut - 1898
WILLIAM S. C. PERKINS, M. D., for over a quarter-century has ministered to the bodily ailments of the residents of Norwich, CT, by whom he is held in the highest esteem. Born in East Lyme, New London Co., CT, February 1st, 1837, son of Austin Freeman Perkins, he comes of French origin. Rufus Perkins, the father of Austin Freeman Perkins, and old-time innkeeper of Groton, CT, was a son of John and Polly (Freeman) Perkins. Mrs. Rufus Perkins, who outlived her husband by many years, died about the year 1847, at a venerable age. She bore her husband two sons and two daughters. Austin Freeman Perkins, who was born in Groton, CT about the year 1804, acquired his rudimentary education in the common schools. He read medicine with Dr. Minor, and subsequently attended Berkshire Medical College, which was then in Pittsfield, MA, graduating there from about 1830. On receiving his diploma, he set up in practice in that portion of Lyme known as East Lyme and Flanders village. In the same year he was married to Mary Moore Way, of Lyme, CT, a daughter of Elisha Way, a pensioner, who died at the age of eighty-five years. Five of their eight children reached adult life, namely; Eunice C. Perkins, who died at twenty-five; William S. C. Perkins, the subject of this biography; Thomas A. Perkins, a successful Norwich merchant, a member of the city government and a Deacon of the Baptist church; Julia B. Perkins, the wife of Sylvester g. Jerome, residing in Waterford, CT; and Mary A. Perkins, the wife of Joseph P. Morgan, living at Fort Scott, Ark. The mother died in 1852, when forty-six years of age. Their father afterward married Miss Louisa Wightman, who born him two sons, namely: Austin F. Perkins, now connected with the Norwich Carpet Lining Company of this city; and George Anson Perkins, a box manufacturer here. After the mothers death, Dr. Austin Perkins formed a third union with Miss Harriet Moore. He died in 1876 and she in 1890. William S. C. Perkins attended the common schools of East Lyme, CT, also the Connecticut Literary Institute at Suffield, CT. He then took up the study of medicine under his father's tuition, was subsequently a student in the medical department of Yale College, and in 1860 was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City. In the same year he began the practice of his profession in Montville, CT, this county, remaining there until the fall of 1869, the date of his location here in Norwich, CT, where he has been in active and very successful practice since. He is a member of the staff of the William W. Backus Hospital. This institution, which is fully equipped and has about seventy beds, was founded by William S. Slater and William W. Backus. On May 29th, 1861, Dr. Perkins was united in marriage with Miss AMELIA J. JEROME, of Montville, CT, a daughter of George and Hannah (Darrow) Jerome. A son and daughter live to bless their union, namely: Florence A. Perkins, who married Frank W. Browning, of Norwich, CT, and has four children; and Charles H. Perkins, M.D., a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York City in the class of 1891, now practicing in Norwich, CT, and a member of the county and State medical societies. Dr. William S. C. Perkins is a Republican in politics. A thirty-second degree Mason, he is a member of Somerset Lodge, No. 34, F. & A.M.; of Franklin Chapter, No. 4, R. A. M.; of Columbian Commandery, K. T.; and of Connecticut Sovereign Consistory, Grand East. Like his son, he is a member of the county and State medical societies, and in the spring of 1896 he was elected president of the former. He resides at 50 Broad Street, in the home that was purchased in 1880, moving there from his former residence, 42 Main Street, in August of that year.
Source: Biographical Review - Volume XXVI - Containing life sketches of leading citizens of New London County - Connecticut - 1898
ALBERT W. PERKINS, the leading dry-goods merchant of Noank, CT, in the town of Groton, CT was born here, October 3rd, 1835, son of Sevilian and Lucy B. (Potter) Perkins. His paternal grandfather was Phineas Perkins, a farmer, who took part in the action at Groton Heights during the Revolutionary War. Sevilian Perkins, who was born in Groton, CT in 1808, was a sailor and fisherman. in 1849 he went with a party to California, where he was engaged in speculating for a few years. Returning subsequently to Connecticut, he bought a fishing sloop, in which he went after cod to George's Banks. His wife, in maidenhood, was Lucy B. Potter, and a native of Noank, was descendant of one of the oldest families in this county. She became the mother of nine children, seven sons and two daughters, all of whom grew to mature years, married, and had families, there being at the present time twenty-five living grand-children. The six children now living are widely scattered, some of them having homes in the West. The mother died at the age of forty-two years, and the father at seventy-one years. They were interred in the Noank cemetery. When but ten years old Albert W. Perkins began to accompany his father on his fishing and coasting expeditions, and he subsequently continued in this employment for twenty-four years. On April 1st, 1870, he began mercantile business in his present store. He carries a good assortment of general dry goods and notions, and has been very successful. The busy little village of Noank counts him as one of her most substantial and reliable business men. On Jan. 22nd, 1858, Mr. Perkins married Miss JULIA AVERY BURROWS, of Groton Bank, and a daughter of Austin and Almira (Hill) Burrows, whose father, Samuel B. Hill, was among the slain at the battle of Groton Heights. Austin Burrows died in 1892, aged eighty-one years, leaving a son and two daughters. Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Perkins, namely: Lucy Perkins, wife of Charles I. Fitch, of Noank, and the mother of four children; C. C. Perkins, a prominent merchant in New London, CT; Myra Perkins, wife of Otto W. Monroe, of Providence, R. I., and the mother of three children; Warren C. Perkins, who married Flora Stanton, of Stonington, CT, resides in that place, and has one daughter, Albert W. Perkins Jr. , sixteen years old, who attends school and assists his father in the store, and Abbie H. Perkins, two years younger, who also is attending school. Mr. Perkins is a loyal supporter of the Republican party, and has served the town in minor offices. He is a Master Mason, and the first charter member of the A. O. U. W. of Noank, now Mystic. He is a member of the historic Baptist church in Noank, About the time of his marriage he built a house, but sold it three years later, and moved into his present residence at 58 Main Street, in which he and his wife have spent thirty-seven of the forty years of their married life.
Source: Biographical Review - Volume XXVI - Containing life sketches of leading citizens of New London County - Connecticut - 1898
RANDOLPH PERKINS, Jersey City, NJ - Lawyer, born at Dunellen, NJ, on November 30th, 1871; son of James & Elizabeth (Kelley) Perkins; married at Woodcliffe Lake, NJ, on January 29th, 1909 to LOUISE TUTTLE (MORRIS), daughter of Henry I. and Elizabeth (Clark) Morris. Randolph Perkins achieved distinction in the legislative history of the state through the passage of what is known as the "Perkins Railroad Tax Law" of 1906. The railroads had been paying about $1,000,000 a year to the state and local treasuries under the Abbett Act of 1884. But, even so, the fact that they were not paying at the rate extracted from individual tax payers nor upon the full value of their holdings, was a constant source of popular irritation. At the opening of the Legislature of 1906, Mr. Perkins, then a member of the House of Assembly from Union county and majority leader on the floor of the Chamber, presented an act designed to equalize the conditions. It applies the average of the local tax rates throughout the state from year to year to the assessed value of railroad properties; and, so that the assessed valuations, the other factor in the computation, may be as nearly even with individual assessments as possible, it was followed by another act taking the function of fixing values on second class railroad properties - those of which pay taxes for the benefit of the local districts, out of the hands of the State Board of Assessors which had always exercised it, and authorizing the local Assessors to fix the valuations. The bill, the first to be offered at the session of that winter, suffered some vicissitudes on its way through the two chambers of Legislature, but Assemblyman Perkins was determined and it was finally sent to Gov. Stokes' s hand and approved. Prior to the enactment of the law, the State had been receiving somewhere between $900,000 and $950,000 a year from the companies. Their annual tax bills had been showing a slightly rising scale each year over the year before. In 1906 the State's total receipts from them were approaching the million-dollar mark. But, the first year the Perkins law became operative, the State's railroad receipts sprang to $3,502,868, and in 1914, the last year for which the State Comptroller's report is at hand, they had climbed to $4,529,852. In the eight years ending in 1914, the State might have received, under the old law, a total of $8,000,000 from the companies. The new law brought her, instead, in that eight years, between $31,000,000 and $32,000,000. The second act, that concerning the laying of the assessments, gave an upward spring, like that in the state's railroad income, to the railroad tax receipts of the localities. The highest total of the local taxing districts receipts under the old system had been $655,000. The first year of the new law they gathered in $1,133,000 from the railroads for local uses, and in 1914 their receipts lacked only $48,000 of the $2,000,000 mark. Mr. Perkins read law in the office of Judge John A. Blair, was admitted to the practice as an attorney in 1903 and as a counselor in 1906. He opened a law office in Jersey City where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. Perkins public career began when the citizens of Westfield made him Mayor of the town. He was then only thirty-two years of age; and two years later he was sent to the legislature as one of the representatives of Union county in the Hose of Assembly. At the session of 1907 he was the minority choice for Speaker; and, when, at the close of the session, Speaker Lethbridge precipitated almost a riot by leaving the chair to prevent action on some bills he did not favor, the Assemblymen of both parties paid Mr. Perkins the exceptional compliment of selecting him unanimously to sit in Lethbridge's place. Mr. Perkins subsequently moved to Bergen county where he has become as large a factor in republican politics as he had been in Union county. He was for six years Chairman of the Bergen County Republican Committee; and in 1916 made an imposing canvass for the republican nomination for the State Senate.
Captain CHARLES H. PERKINS, the manager of the Co-operative Grange Store at North Brooksville, Hancock Co., ME, and an ex-member of the legislature, was born in this town, January 12th, 1840, son of Jeremiah and Prudence (Blodgett) Perkins. The first of the family to settle here was Amos Perkins, the Captain's grandfather, a native of York, ME, who cleared a good farm from the wilderness in the western part of the town, and resided there for the rest of his life. Besides developing the agricultural resources of the locality, he was useful to the community in some of the town offices, and he lived to be seventy-five years old. The maiden name of his wife was Ruth Wardwell. Jeremiah Perkins, who was a lifelong resident of Brooksville, for many years followed the trades of a tanner and shoemaker. His last days were sent upon a farm in North Brooksville, ME and his death occurred at about the same age as that of his father. Prudence Blodgett, his wife, who was a daughter of Captain John K. and Jane (Avery) Blodgett, became the mother of ten children. Of these, six are living; namely, John K. Perkins, Charles H. Perkins, William N. Perkins, Deborah A. Perkins, Hannah M. Perkins, and Mary J. Perkins. The others were: Amos J. Perkins, George O. Perkins, Eben F. Perkins, and Mercy H. Perkins. John K. Perkins is a retired sea captain, residing in New York State. George O. Perkins and Amos J. Perkins were lost at sea, the former in 1854 and the latter in 1891. Eben F. Perkins enlisted in Company B Second Regiment, Maine Volunteer Infantry, and was killed at the battle of Bull Run. William N. Perkins who resides in Brooksville, ME. Mary J. Perkins married Charles Nash, and resides in Lynn, Mass. After leaving the district schools when twelve years old, Charles H. Perkins began to follow the sea, and became master of a vessel at the age of nineteen. He suffered shipwreck in 1867, the disaster being attended with no loss of life, however. He had spent some twenty-eight years in seafaring when he bought a farm and engaged in its cultivation. This was his occupation until 1887, since which time he has been in charge of the Co-operative Grange Store in North Brooksville, ME. Captain Perkins has been twice married, first to RUTH GRINDLE, of Sedgwick, ME. The maiden name of his present wife was HANNAH GRINDLE. His children by the first wife were: Mary Perkins, Cora A. Perkins, Izetta B. Perkins, Charles M. Perkins, Emma F. Perkins, Forest H. Perkins, Harvey Perkins, Fred J. Perkins, Morris W. Perkins and Eliza A. Perkins. May Perkins married Edgar Roberts, and has one daughter, Beatrice Roberts. Cora A. Perkins died at the age of twenty-three years, and Izetta B. Perkins at the age of twenty-two. Charles M. Perkins, who is the principal of the high school at Presque Isle, ME, married Alice Benson, and has two children -- Newman Perkins and an infant. Emma F. Perkins died at the age of nineteen. Forest H. Perkins is teaching school in Sherman, Aroostook Co., ME. Harvey Perkins married Lila Clauson, and has two children -- Henry Perkins and an infant. Fred J. Perkins and Morris W. Perkins are residing at home, and Eliza A. Perkins is attending school. The captain cast his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864, and has since supported the Republican party. The party elected him to the State legislature in 1885. He has served for one year. In addition to his membership in the Masonic order and the Patrons of Husbandry, he is connected with the local grange, of which he was the Master for eight years.
Source: Biographical Review Vol. XXIX -
Containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis,
Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook Counties, ME - (1898)
WILLIAM N. PERKINS, a retired business man of Penobscot, Hancock Co., ME, was born in Harrington, ME, December 1st, 1818, son of Thomas and Clarissa (Nash) Perkins. The grandfather, Daniel Perkins, a native of York, ME, before there were any roads in the district, settled in the southern part of Penobscot township, ME. There he spent the rest of his life excepting the period of the Revolutionary War, during which he stayed in his native town. The maiden name of his wife was Abigail Penny. Thomas Perkins, the father, born in York, ME, was educated under the tuition of a minister in Sedgwick, ME. He taught school for a time, during which period he lived in Harrington, ME. After returning to the homestead in 1826, he bought the Winslow place in the village, also purchased a saw and grist mill, which he carried on for many years. He died at the age of eighty. Clarissa (Nash) Perkins, his wife, became the mother of ten children; namely, Daniel M. Perkins, Eliza Ann Perkins, Alexander G. Perkins, Gilbert Perkins, William N. Perkins, Augustus S. Perkins, Abbie Perkins, Mary Perkins, Priscilla Perkins and Edgar S. Perkins. Of these, Daniel M. Perkins, Eliza Ann Perkins, Alexander G. Perkins, Gilbert Perkins, Priscilla Perkins and Edgar S. Perkins are no longer living. Augustus S. Perkins is a retired merchant of Castine, ME, and Abbie Perkins and Mary Perkins reside in Penobscot, ME. William N. Perkins has resided in Penobscot, ME since he was eight years old. After completing his studies in the district schools he assisted his father upon the farm until he was twenty-two. Afterward, in company with his brother, he established the first store in the neighborhood, and the partnership existed for twenty-five years. He then opened a store upon his own account, and also engaged in ship-building and lumbering, furnishing the timber for the construction of several vessels, mostly schooners. At a later period he admitted his son into partnership in the business of the store. He has been out of business now for the past ten years. Mr. Perkins married PHOEBE A. PERKINS, who is the mother of eight children; namely, Justin Perkins, Roscoe Perkins, Bertha Perkins, Dora Perkins, William Rosco Perkins, Ernest Perkins, Elmer E. Perkins and Jay Perkins. Justin Perkins, Roscoe Perkins and Dora Perkins are no longer living. William Rosco Perkins married Oressa Van Buskirk, of Cherryfield, ME; Elmer E. Perkins married Marjorie Perkins, of Ellsworth, ME and has four children; and Jay Perkins is a physician in Providence, R.I. The father has served as road surveyor for twenty-five years. He cast his first Presidential vote for W. H. Harrison in 1840, has been a Republican since the formation of the party, and is an earnest advocate of temperance cause.
Source: Biographical Review Vol. XXIX -
Containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis,
Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook Counties, ME - (1898)
AUGUSTUS PERKINS, a retired merchant of Castine, Hancock Co., ME, was born in Harrington, Washington Co., ME, June 23rd, 1820, son of Thomas and Clara (Nash) Perkins. His paternal grandfather, Daniel Perkins, was a native of York, ME. He settled in Penobscot, Hancock Co., ME, previous to the Revolutionary War; and, when the British troops invaded this section, his buildings were burned and his cattle confiscated. He spent his last days in Penobscot, ME and lived to be about seventy years old. The maiden name of his wife was Penny. Thomas Perkins, son of Daniel Perkins, was born in Penobscot, ME. He acquired a good education and for some time was engaged in teaching school in Harrington, ME. Returning to his native town, he followed general farming in connection with lumbering for the rest of his active period. His wife, whose name before marriage was Clara Nash, was a native of Addison, ME. She became the mother of nine children, four of whom are living; namely; William N. Perkins who married Phoebe Perkins, and resides in Penobscot, ME; Augustus Perkins, the subject of this sketch, Abbie Perkins, wife of Savillian Babson, of Brooksville, ME; and Mary H. Perkins, who is unmarried. The others were: Daniel M. Perkins, Eliza Ann Perkins, A. G. Perkins, Edgar S. Perkins and Pricilla Perkins. Thomas Perkins died at the age of eighty years. Augustus Perkins was educated in the public schools of Penobscot, ME. He began life for himself as a store clerk, and from 1840 to 1860 was engaged in general mercantile business on his own account in his native town. Coming to Castine, ME in 1865, he purchased the Jarvis store, and carried on a profitable trade for thirty-three years, at the end of which time he sold out to his son-in-law. Mr. Perkins married ABBIE H. WILSON, daughter of Josiah and Annie (Perkins) Wilson, and has reared two daughters -- Annie P. Perkins and Carrie P. Perkins. Annie P. Perkins married Frank E. Lewis, who succeeded to her fathers business. She has one daughter, Gerturde Lewis. Carrie P. Perkins married H. A. Hobbs, and resides in Portland, ME. Mr. Perkins cast his first Presidential vote for Henry Clay in 1844. He has supported the Republican party every since its formation, but has never sought for nor held public office. He is highly esteemed by his numerous friends and acquaintances throughout this section of the State. He is a member of the Masonic order.
Source: Biographical Review Vol. XXIX -
Containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis,
Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook Counties, ME - (1898)
GEORGE W. PERKINS, a prosperous farmer of Castine, Hancock Co., ME, was born in this town, February 23rd, 1833, son of Mark H. and Lois (Bowden) Perkins, both of whom were natives of Castine, ME. His grandfather, Stover Perkins, was one of the early merchants and ship-builders of the town. Residing about two miles north of the village, Grandfather Perkins became quite an old man. The maiden name of his wife was Annie Hatch. Mark H. Perkins, the father, settled upon wild land in the northern part of the town. He was engaged in farming and lumbering during his active years, and died at the age of eighty-four. His wife became the mother of four children, two of whom are living, namely; George W. Perkins, the subject of this sketch, and Louisa Perkins who married Mark E. Hatch, of Castine, ME, and has three children -- William Hatch, Luella Hatch, and Lettie Hatch. The others were: Mark Perkins, sea captain, who married Ellen Hatch, and left one son, Harry F. Perkins, now of Bangor, ME; and John Perkins, who was lost at sea in his twenty-third year, while on a voyage with his brother. George W. Perkins was educated in the common schools. After the completion of his studies he went to sea for a time. The greater part of his active period, however, has been devoted to farming and trading. Since the death of his father he has occupied the homestead, which is a well-known landmark on account of its having been the site of the Methodist camp-meeting ground for many years. His farming has been very successful. In politics he is a Republican, and he cast his first Presidential vote for John C. Fremont in 1856. He was school agent for a time, and he served in the capacity of Selectman for fourteen years, after which he declined further nomination. Mr. Perkins first married CLARISSA A. MORGRAGE, who bore him two sons -- John W. Perkins and Edward D. Perkins. A second marriage united him with MARY E. LAWRENCE, who has one daughter, Lois M. Perkins. John W. Perkins, who was not married, and resided at home, died recently at the age of thirty-six years. Edward D. Perkins, after teaching in Maine for some time and serving as the principal of a large school in Washington, D.C., graduated with honors from the Georgetown Medical School, and since 1894 has practiced medicine at the national capital. Lois M. Perkins, who was a school teacher for several years, married Harry S. Soper, of Bucksport, ME.
EDMUND TAYLOR PERKINS, civil engineer, was born at Scottsville, VT, Sept. 8th, 1864, son of Edmund Taylor and Mary Sydnor (Addison) Perkins, and a descendant of Nicholas Perkins, who lived at Tuckahoe Creek, Henrico Co., VA, early in the seventeenth century. Among his ancestors were those who fought in the revolutionary war and were otherwise prominent in the struggle for independence. On the maternal side he is descended from Col John Addison, who came from Litchfield, England, in 1667, and built his home on the banks of the Potomac, opposite Mount Vernon. Rev. Edmund Taylor Perkins, DD., (q.v.), father of our subject was a prominent clergyman of the Episcopal Church. The son received his preparatory education at the Episcopal High School, Alexandra, VA, and was graduated at Union College, Schenectady, N.Y., with the degree of A.B. and C.E. in 1885, receiving the degree of A.M. from the same institution three years later. During 1885-1902 he served with the U.S. Geological Survey in topography, triangulation and precise leveling; he was identified with the U.S. reclamation service, in charge of steam gauging and the determination of run-off factors; he was also in charge of the investigation of the Colorado river, including preliminary surveys and the plans of the Yuma project, Yuma, AZ; for several years he was general inspector of all projects. Thereafter until 1909, he was in charge of the Chicago transportation and contracting office. Since 1909 until the present time he has been at the head of the Edmund T. Perkins Engineering Co., as consulting and supervising engineer, Chicago, ILL. He has served as a member of the Everglades Engineering Commission of the state of Florida, to report to the state upon the possibility and feasibility of reclaiming the Everglades; the plan, contemplating an expenditure of $30,000,000, was adopted by the state administration, by whom the first unit, from Lake Okeechobee to St. Luci Inlet, is now being constructed. Mr. Perkins was in charge of the Marion County Drainage district, MO, holding the Missouri record for the shortest time employed in organizing, surveying, planning and constructing the district. He has served as chief engineer of the South Quincy drainage and levee district, Adams Co., IL, Green Bay levee and drainage district, Lee Co., IA, Lima Lake drainage district, Adams Co., IL; Savanna and York drainage district, Carroll Co., IL; Gregory drainage district, Lewis and Clark Co., IL; West Alton drainage district, St. Charles Co., MO; Steffenville drainage district, Knox and other counties, MO., and other districts totaling about 75,000 acres of wet and overflowed lands. He was president of the Chicago Irrigation Association, and is now (1920) president of the National Drainage Congress and the American Association of Engineers; president of the American Association Reclamation Federation; member of the American Society of Civil Engineers; American Association of Engineers; Western Society of Engineers; Illinois Society of Engineers; Chicago Association of Commerce; the University, Iroquois and Engineers clubs of Chicago; Glen View and Golf clubs, IL; Engineers Club of N. Y. and the Chevy Chase Club, MD. Mr. Perkins is characterized by directness and quick decisions. He is the author of various magazine articles and lectures on the work of the government along geological and irrigation lines. His favorite diversions are golf and baseball. He was married at Los Angeles, Calf., June 3rd, 1903; to JEAN WATERS of Plumas Co., Calf; Mrs. Perkins died in February, 1917. There were no children. He was married (2nd) Aug., 17th, 1918, to LOUISE SAMSON-SCRIBNER, daughter of Prof. F. Samson-Scribner of the U.S. Dept of Agriculture, Washington, D.C.
Source:(1893) vol. XVII
ARCHIBALD A. PERKINS
was born in Bethany, CT, in 1819. His father's name was
and he was a son of Archibald Abner Perkins
who was a resident of Woodbridge, CT (now included in Bethany, CT) and kept
a tavern on the New Haven and Waterbury Turnpike for over sixty years. He
was a deacon in the Episcopal church of Bethany, CT for many years. He was
twice married, his first wife being a Miss
and the second a Miss
(Sarah) French. Their children were:
(b.1782); Archibald A. Perkins
(b.1786); Guy Perkins
(b.1808); Burr Perkins;
Charles Perkins; Rebecca Perkins and Sarah Perkins.
Archibald A. Perkins
son of Archibald Perkins
was shoemaker and tanner by trade and was one of Bethany's prominent men,
representing the town in the legislature several terms and was justice of
the peace for many years (m. Molly Hotchkiss).
He was also prominent in the Masonic Order. Jesse Perkins
was a joiner by trade. He married Charlotte
(Hotchkiss) and their children were: Hiram Perkins; Maria
Perkins; Celestia Perkins, Jesse D. Perkins; Nancy
Perkins; Noah H. Perkins and Archibald
A. Perkins. Archibald A. Perkins
is a brass and iron moulder by trade and for fourteen years was
superintendent of the W. & B. Douglass Manufacturing Company of Middletown,
CT., after which he was superintendent of the brass foundry of J. B. Sargent
& Co., of New Haven, CT for nine years. He enlisted in Co. B., 25th
Connecticut Infantry in 1862, and served thirteen months. He became a
resident of East Haven, CT about 1867. He married
MALVINA (ANDREWS) of Bristol in 1840. Their children were:
Martha M. Perkins born 1844 and Noah H. Perkins born 1850. Martha
M. Perkins married Lovell Jones. Their children are: Helen M. Jones, Jesse
Jones and Bertha Jones. Mr. Perkins married for his second wife, Barbara
LYMAN HOLMES PERKINS, son of Jason B. and Jerusha Blackmere (Holmes) Perkins, was born in Springfield, MA, March 29th 1864. He received his education in the public schools of his native city, and then studied architecture, associating himself with his father and engaging in architectural and construction work for many years. He also assisted in erecting a number of important public buildings in Springfield, including Central High School and the North Chestnut Street School, and a number of residences in the city. Mr. Perkins has served on the Republican City Committee of Springfield, and also was a representative to the State Legislature in 1895, where he was a member of the Committee on Roads and Bridges. He was one of the originators of the idea of a "safe and sane" Fourth of July celebration. Fraternally, Mr. Perkins is a member of the Springfield Lodge, Fee and Accepted Masons. He married (first) Mabel Catherine Choate; (second) Charlotte E. Williams. To the first marriage one son, Ralph Warren Perkins, now deceased, was born. He received his preparatory education in the schools of his native city, and then entered Phelps Academy at Exeter and here prepared for and later entered Cornell University, from which he was graduated with the degree of Civil Engineer. At the time of his death, he was associated in this capacity with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company.
Source: Encyclopedia of Massachusetts, Biographical Genealogical
Rev. ORREN PERKINS was
the third pastor of the Universalist society, which relation he sustained
from 1847 to 185 1, four years. He was the son of William Perkins, a farmer
of Savoy, Mass.,
Source: History of the Town of Bernardston, Franklin County, Massachusetts - 1736-1900, with Genealogies by Lucy Cutler Kellogg (1902)
GEORGE W. PERKINS, actively engaged in
farming and stock raising at Blanding, UT was born at Cedar City, Utah,
January 22nd, 1879, his parents being Hyrum and Rachel C. (Cory)
Perkins, who were married at Cedar City and in 1880 cast in their
lot with the pioneer settlers of San Juan County, where the father followed
farming and stock raising and took an active part in the upbuilding and
development of the district. He died at Bluff, UT in 1917, while the mother
is still living. George W. Perkins is indebted to the public schools of
Bluff, UT for the educational opportunities which he enjoyed. When
twenty-one years of age he began raising cattle and in 1908 he and his
brothers, H. C. Perkins and Daniel Perkins, united their interests and
bought an interest in a ranch, which now represents an investment of one
hundred thousand dollars in stock and land. George W. Perkins removed to
Blanding, UT in 1917, purchased a home and obtained large tracts of land
hear the town. He is the most progressive and enterprising young business
men and is very highly respected. At Salt Lake City, UT , on the 8th of
April, 1902, Mr. Perkins was married to Miss ANNIE
BAYLES, a daughter of Bishop H. and Mary A. Bayles. The father
was a pioneer of San Juan county, UT and came to Blanding, UT as one of the
first settlers, removing to this town from Bluff, UT. He was immediately
ordained bishop and occupied the position until 1918, when he was released.
He still makes his home at Blanding, UT. To Mr. and Mrs. Perkins have been
born seven children, Louvine Perkins, whose birth occurred January
31, 1905; Hanson E. Perkins born November 27th, 1907; Marie
Perkins, whose natal day was March 17th, 1909; Clarence Perkins,
born in March, 1911; Roy W. Perkins, who was born in August, 1914;
Carl Perkins born in August, 1917, and Rosella Perkins, born in
September 1919. In religious faith, Mr. Perkins is connected with the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1898 he filled a mission to the
southern states and in 1906 and 1907 filled a mission to the northwestern
states. His political endorsement is given the republican party and in 1918
he was elected county commissioner of San Juan county, in which position
he has since creditably and ably served. He is a representative citizen of
this section of the state, alert, enterprising and progressive, and in
farming and stock raising interests has manifested sound judgment and keen
His enterprise has brought him prominently to the front in this
connection and he is meeting with very substantial success as the reward of
CHRISTOPHER C. PERKINS, is now living retired at Kaysville, UT but for a long period was identified with farming interests and thereby won the success that enables him now to rest from further labor. He was born in Hancock, Illinois, January 4th, 1836, a son of Ap and Nancy (Martin) Perkins, the former a native of Tennessee, while the latter was born in Virginia. They became residents of Nauvoo, Illinois, where they resided until 1848 and then crossed the plains with ox teams to Utah, settling in Salt Lake City, where both the father and mother passed away. They had a family of thirteen children, all of whom are deceased with the exception of Christopher C. Perkins of this review. Christopher C. Perkins acquired a limited education and engaged in farming and teaming in early life. After attaining his majority he became a resident of Davis county, having up to that time made his home in Salt Lake from the age of twelve years, when his parents brought their family to Utah. He has now for many years been a resident of Davis county, UT and his activity has numbered him with its promoters and upbuilders. He was one of the pioneer settlers who aided in quelling the Indians when they became hostile toward the white settlers. The utmost privations and hardships were endured by the soldiers, who almost starved. Their food supply became so exhausted that they had to kill and eat their dogs in order to remain alive. Many of the difficulties of settlement on the frontier are familiar to Mr. Perkins and his stories of pioneer days are most interesting, for he passed through many of the scenes and experience the conditions which figured in the early history of this section of the state. He early settled upon the tract of land which is still his home and he yet occupies the log cabin which he build many years ago. In 1860 Mr. Perkins was married to Miss ELIZABETH ANN ROBBINS, a native of England and a daughter of Edmund and Elizabeth (Welch) Robbins, who were also natives of that country and came to America in 1859, establishing their home in Utah, where their remaining days were passed. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins became the parents of nine children: C. J. Perkins, who follows farming; Elizabeth E. Perkins, the wife of Efrem Barnett; Nancy A. Perkins, the wife of John Simpson; Richard Perkins; Edmund T. Perkins; William A. Perkins; Joseph M. Perkins; Hyrum Perkins and Alice Perkins, both of whom have departed this life. Mr. Perkins has now passed the eighty-third milestone on life's journey and with every phase of the early development of Davis county he is acquainted. He is today one of its most venerable and esteemed pioneer settlers and no history of this section of state would be complete without mention of him.