PERKINS FAMILY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES BY STATE
NORTH & SOUTH DAKOTA
Perkins Research North & South Dakota Biographical Sketches
DANIEL A. W. PERKINS, (Judge); who was the first representative at the bar of Highmore and is now serving upon the county bench, has throughout his professional career held to the highest standards, and by reason of his comprehensive knowledge of the law and ability to accurately apply its principles has gained an enviable reputation as a leading attorney of Hyde county and that section of the state. He is a native son of New England, his birth having occurred at Newburyport, Massachusetts, November 12, 1837, his parents being George and Rebecca (White) Perkins. The father who was born in Maine, followed the sea and during the boyhood days of his son Daniel ran a fishing smack. He was born in the year 1805, while his wife a native of Massachusetts, was born in 1806. Their family numbered three daughters, two of whom are yet living in the old home at Newburyport, Massachusetts, in which they were born and in which the parents passed away; and two sons, Charles Perkins, now deceased, and Daniel A. W. Perkins. Judge Perkins was the fifth in order of birth in a family of five children. He attended school in Massachusetts and subsequently became a student in the New Hampshire University at New London, that state. Having prepared for the bar, he was admitted to practice in Massachusetts and opened an office in Newburyport, where he lived until 1865, when he removed to Iowa. There he engaged in teaching for about two years and then was admitted to practice in that state, after which he followed his profession at Wilton Junction, Iowa, for about three years. He next removed to O'Brien county, Iowa, where he practiced until 1882, when he came to South Dakota, being at Highmore at the time the town was platted. He took a claim west of the town, where Holabird now stands, but in 1883 sold that to the railroad company. The following year Highmore was platted and he opened a law office there in 1885, Judge Perkins and A. N. Van Camp being the first lawyers of the town. Mr. Perkins was called to the office of county attorney, in which he served for a year, and later he returned to Iowa for a brief period but has practically engaged in practice continuously in Highmore since 1884. He was not long in demonstrating his ability to cope with the intricate and involved problems of the law and win success for his clients—a success based upon thorough preparation and strong and forceful presentation of his cause. His marked ability led to his selection for the office of county judge, in which he is now serving for the eleventh year, having been reelected by a constituency that recognizes his marked ability and the close conformity of his judicial duties to the highest standards of the profession. While living in O'Brien county, Iowa, he served as county attorney one term. For two years he conducted the Sheldon Mail at Sheldon, South Dakota, and in 1910 started the Hyde County News, in which paper he is still interested, although he does not actively take part in its publication. In August, 1875, Judge Perkins was married to Miss DANA CHRYSLER, who was born in Canada but accompanied her parents to Iowa in her early girlhood, remaining in that state until after her marriage. Their children are Mrs. Rebecca White, whose husband is an extensive landowner now living in Sioux City; and John Badwell Perkins, who married Miss ABBIE DREW and is the editor of the Highmore Herald. Judge Perkins was made a Mason in 1863 and has membership with the lodge at Highmore, which finds in him an exemplary representative of the craft. His political allegiance has always been given to the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He has closely studied political questions and issues and believes firmly in the principles of the party which he supports. Not only was he one of the pioneer members of the Highmore bar but is today one of the most venerable judges upon the bench in South Dakota, being now in the' seventy-eighth year of his age. His is a splendid record, faultless in honor and stainless in reputation. He has never regarded his duties lightly but has always recognized the fact that in his official capacity he stands as the conservator of public right, life, property and liberty.
Source: South Dakota ; its history and its people, Volume IV by: George W. Kingsbury (1915)
WARD PERKINS m.
CAROLINE REED, daughter of Lewmon G. & Margaret (Orrock) Reed,
natives of Canada & Merton Township, Steele Co., Minnesota
JAMES ORIN PERKINS, residing on section 27, in South Minnewaukon township, Ramsey county, may be truly classed as one of the leading farmers of that region. He has for some time been numbered among the agriculturists of Ramsey county, and in prosecuting his farm work is very industrious, progressive in his ideas, and ready to make the best of his opportunities, and enjoys a comfortable and happy home. Our subject was born in Stow, Massachusetts, June 25, 1852, and was reared in his native state and educated in the common schools. When he was eighteen years of age he started for the west and went to North Dakota in 1872, and followed carpenter work in Fargo and vicinity about ten years, until 1882. While a resident of that city he was interested in a flouring-mill with Charles A. Roberts, the firm being Roberts & Perkins, and in May, 1882, he went to Ramsey county, North Dakota. He entered a homestead claim to land in southern Minnewaukon township, and has continued his residence thereon since that date. He followed the grocery business in Devils Lake two years, and has since devoted his entire attention to farming, and has met with the best results. He has erected a complete set of comfortable and substantial buildings on his farm, and made other valuable improvements thereon and owns and operated a tract of eight hundred acres, most of which is tillable and furnished a good yearly income. Our subject was married in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, to Miss IDA MORAN, who was a native of that town. Mrs. Perkins died on the farm in South Minnewaukon township, Ramsey county, November 23, 1889. Three children were born to this union, named as follows: Cora A. Perkins, Laura M. Perkins and Hattie M. Perkins. Mr. Perkins was married at Devils Lake, North Dakota, November 10, 1891, to Miss MARY A. WHEELER, a native of Illinois. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Perkins, who are named Orm (Orin Wheeler) W. Perkins and Marian Gladdis Perkins. Mr. Perkins is a gentleman of broad mind and is actively interested in the welfare of his community, and takes a leading part in all public affairs, and is one of the citizens of Ramsey county of whom his fellow men may well be proud.
Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota. (1900)
DR. EDWIN L. PERKINS, has devoted his attention to the practice of medicine and surgery in Sioux Falls, SD for the past ten years, and in his life-work has won an enviable reputation as an able and exemplary representative of the profession. Dr. Perkins was born in Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin, November 8th, 1870, the son of Loring A. & Julia (Morrill) Perkins. The family dates its origin historically from early English ancestors of the period of Elizabeth. Men of science and invention are numbered among its members, and the name of Perkins is prominent in the early history of the New England colonies and among the makers of history during the Revolutionary period. Dr. Perkins has been a resident of Sioux Falls since May 4th, 1889. Beginning his education in the public schools at Montello, Wisconsin, he subsequently entered Sioux Falls College from which institution he was graduated in 1892. After teaching in the Sioux Falls High School a number of years, he prepared for the practice of medicine, graduating from the Northwestern University Medical School of Chicago in 1904, and the following year he completed the course in the Chicago Post-Graduate Hospital. He immediately began practice in Sioux Falls, and has remained there continuously since. He is a member of several medical societies, and a progressive student in the realm of his profession. It was largely through the influence of Dr. Perkins that the McKennan Hospital at Sioux Falls was founded. On the 21st day of June, 1906, at Excelsior, Minnesota, Dr. Perkins was united in marriage to Miss SENA MARIE (SWENSON), by whom he has three children, namely; Mary Elizabeth Perkins, Edwin Morrill Perkins and Ralph Hiram Perkins. In politics Dr. Perkins is a democrat, while in his religious faith he is associated with the Congregational church. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, belonging to the Consistory and the Shrine. He is also a member of the South Dakota Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution. Dr. Perkins professional labors are all in the direction of the general uplift of the community in which he lives, and he enjoys the respect of his brethren of the medical fraternity by reason of his strict conformity to a high standard of professional ethics.
Source: South Dakota ; its history and its people, Volume IV by: George W. Kingsbury (1915)